Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad 10.2 or iPad mini 5?

• iPad 10.2

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • iPad mini 5

Votes: 39 86.7%

• Total voters

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
If you had a choice which would you recommend? Weighing which one to get until the new pros come out...basically my wife has been given the 11 inch pro and I just want an iPad to use when I’m not using my pro max or MacBook

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
If you had a choice to hold somebody over price wise which would you recommend? Weighing which one to get until the new pros come out...basically my wife has been given the 11 inch pro and I just want an iPad to use when I’m not using my pro max or MacBook
As a temp device while waiting for the Pros, then I would definitely go 10.2” at $230-250/32GB or $330/128GB instead of mini 5 at $400/64GB or $550/256GB.

You could probably sell it for minimal loss when you finally upgrade to the iPad Pro.

Disclaimer:
I own both 10” class iPads and mini. I just prefer the bigger size. The mini often feels cramped to me.

Reactions: The Game 161

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Mini. The processor is 2 generations newer and being a smaller device, you’re more likely to still find a use for it once you have a Pro.
That’s what I’m thinking. I could still use the mini for on the go to take work on my lunch break or watching media in bed or even on planes etc even with a pro
[automerge]1575324030[/automerge]
As a temp device while waiting for the Pros, then I would definitely go 10.2” at $230-250/32GB or $330/128GB instead of mini 5 at $400/64GB or $550/256GB.

You could probably sell it for minimal loss when you finally upgrade to the iPad Pro.

Disclaimer:
I own both 10” class iPads and mini. I just prefer the bigger size. The mini often feels cramped to me.
It’s one of those where I could still use the mini after the new pros. Maybe use it at work and when travelling...mini is cheaper for the storage I would likely use

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
That’s what I’m thinking. I could still use the mini for on the go to take work on my lunch break or watching media in bed or even on planes etc even with a pro
[automerge]1575324030[/automerge]

It’s one of those where I could still use the mini after the new pros. Maybe use it at work and when travelling...mini is cheaper for the storage I would likely use
I do all those things with 9.7-10.5” iPads. My iPads have LTE so I don’t even have to fumble with tethering. I’ve even used 12.9” on a plane. Not having the keyboard along with the squarish aspect ratio makes the 12.9” iPad easier to use on a plane compared to a 13” laptop.

Right now, it’s $330 for 10.2” 128GB and $400 for mini 5 64GB so I don’t see how the mini’s cheaper.

Kept my Pro 9.7” after upgrading and I find it quite useful as a backup device when I’m charging the Pro 10.5” (happens quite often). There’s practically no adjustment to the smaller size.

Meanwhile, the mini mostly just sits in the drawer. I thought I was gonna love the size since I’ve been lusting after the mini since 2012 but as mentioned, it ended up feeling too cramped.

Reactions: millydog

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I do all those things with 9.7-10.5” iPads. My iPads have LTE so I don’t even have to fumble with tethering.

Right now, it’s $330 for 10.2” 128GB and $400 for mini 5 64GB so I don’t see how the mini’s cheaper.

Kept my Pro 9.7” after upgrading and I find it quite useful as a backup device when I’m charging the Pro 10.5” (happens quite often). There’s practically no adjustment to the smaller size.

Meanwhile, the mini mostly just sits in the drawer. I thought I was gonna love the size since I’ve been lusting after the mini since 2012 but as mentioned, it ended up feeling too cramped.

Here the 10.2 iPad isn’t cheaper

I can get the mini 5 for £569 for 256GB WiFi and cellular while the 10.2 with same storage is £749

Reactions: orbital~debris

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Here the 10.2 iPad isn’t cheaper

I can get the mini 5 for £569 for 256GB WiFi and cellular while the 10.2 with same storage is £749
That’s the 10.5” Air 3 then, not the 10.2” iPad. I checked Amazon UK and they have the 10.2” 128GB for £399 as Cyber Monday deal.

Air 3 and mini 5 have pretty much identical specs apart from size and SmartConnector support. I guess just try the mini and see if you like the size.

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
The mini is $100 overpriced imo at $399. It is outrageous at $679 for a fully spec’d lte model (what my wife wants but I refuse to spend that much).

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
My suggestion would be to consider the Air 3. I have the mini 5 which is the same specs as the Air 3 and I love it, but it’s a secondary iPad for me. I prefer a bigger screen size as my main iPad.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
I tried a mini 5 a few months ago after using the 11" pro for last year, was terrible with no pro motion, sold it and guess the 10.2 would be the same. Just get another 11" plenty of bargains around, at the right price wouldn't loose much later anyway, and who know's how long new ones will be anyway.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I tried a mini 5 a few months ago after using the 11" pro for last year, was terrible with no pro motion, sold it and guess the 10.2 would be the same. Just get another 11" plenty of bargains around, at the right price wouldn't loose much later anyway, and who know's how long new ones will be anyway.
well from the sounds will be even longer from the march projected timeframe but guess we don't know for sure.
[automerge]1575375843[/automerge]
That’s the 10.5” Air 3 then, not the 10.2” iPad. I checked Amazon UK and they have the 10.2” 128GB for £399 as Cyber Monday deal.

Air 3 and mini 5 have pretty much identical specs apart from size and SmartConnector support. I guess just try the mini and see if you like the size.
guess depends where you look. I normally go via very for apple products or apple themselves.

if I got one it would need to be 256GB

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
Not a fair comparision. Screen Size Matters. Should be either 10.2" vs Air 10.5" or Mini 4 vs Mini 5.

Of course the Mini 5 has the better hardware, but it's also an iPad mini, not a regular one.

I prefer the regular size by now. So i would pick the 10.2".

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
if I got one it would need to be 256GB

This is the source of everyone's confusion. The 10.2" you're supposedly talking about is only available in 32GB and 128GB. So you can't be talking about that - no wonder @rui no onna and others made the recommendations they did though, because you did seem to be interested in the basic (cheaper) ipad.

I'd recommend the mini, personally. I love mine.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
This is the source of everyone's confusion. The 10.2" you're supposedly talking about is only available in 32GB and 128GB. So you can't be talking about that - no wonder @rui no onna and others made the recommendations they did though, because you did seem to be interested in the basic (cheaper) ipad.

I'd recommend the mini, personally. I love mine.

True my mistake here..

I’m looking more at 10.2 for £299 now as it’s cheaper and the mini I was looking at is now back to full price.

£299 iPad will at least hold me over til the new pros

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
After a few months without an iPad I snagged the 128GB 10.2 for $329 yesterday. I've tried the iPad Mini too, and I feel like if you own an iPhone 11/XR, Max, or Plus model phone, the screen size of the Mini feels redundant. Yes you get a little more real estate, but I'd still prefer to, for example, watch a movie on my iPhone 11 because the speakers are better. Really, pretty much anything I can do on an iPad Mini I could do comfortably on my iPhone.

I've always had flagship iPads, so I won't keep it if it doesn't give me the performance I've come to expect from Apple's products. The only downgrade I'm noticing right now is TouchID being a little slower to unlock. Otherwise everything's running great, the display is beautiful, and I think the stereo speakers sound better than the Mini's.

Last edited:

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
I'd go for the mini because of the significantly better A12 SoC. If I were buying a full sized iPad, the iPad Air 3 is equal to the mini 5 in power.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
Im using 10.5 Pro as my main and only device, aside from Galaxy S8. At times tech-geek in me wonders how cool would it be to use smaller, lighter Mini 5 for browsing and YT videos, because Im using my 10.5 in Poetic case which weighs almost as much as the iPad itself totalling close to 900g together with pen :D.
If youre not overly concerned about future iOS 14/15/whatever they name it updates, then even 2018 9.7 would be good. If possible, go to the store that carries both Mini 5 and 10.2, and play with them both, see how they fit your usage scenarious, see their return policies and order online, if its your only way to return goods and use the one you ordered the way you intended and if it fits your needs, great, keep it, if not, order the other one.
If size isnt much of an issue, then just simply get the one that is cheapest with 128 or 256gb of storage.

hotr32

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2009
PA
I’d say if you are looking for just a temporary place holder until the new pro comes out, and have all intentions of selling the device, I think perhaps the 10.2. It’s going to make the tech jump from 10.2 to the new pro like night and day. I’d be careful buying the mini 5, you might end up loving it and not getting rid of it! ?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
If you don’t have any iPads at the moment I’d go for the 10.2, especially if you intend to upgrade to the pro in a few months. There’s no point in spending more money for the air 3 when you will only have it for a few months.

I have the 10.5 inch pro and iPad mini 5. I also have the 11 pro max. I’ve had every plus sized iPhone but I’ve always had an iPad mini because there is a huge difference In screen real estate. Also I’ve never liked taking the larger iPads out of the house, even the 9.7 iPads. They are cumbersome on commutes. The mini 5 is a really nice device, with better specs and a better display than the 10.2. However my mini is always my secondary iPad and if I could only have one I’d always pick a full sized iPad.
[automerge]1575444728[/automerge]
After a few months without an iPad I snagged the 128GB 10.2 for $329 yesterday. I've tried the iPad Mini too, and I feel like if you own an iPhone 11/XR, Max, or Plus model phone, the screen size of the Mini feels redundant. Yes you get a little more real estate, but I'd still prefer to, for example, watch a movie on my iPhone 11 because the speakers are better. Really, pretty much anything I can do on an iPad Mini I could do comfortably on my iPhone.

I've always had flagship iPads, so I won't keep it if it doesn't give me the performance I've come to expect from Apple's products. The only downgrade I'm noticing right now is TouchID being a little slower to unlock. Otherwise everything's running great, the display is beautiful, and I think the stereo speakers sound better than the Mini's.
I don’t know about the speakers but the display on the mini is better than that on the 10.2 iPad. It’s laminated and has True Tone. I’ve never watched a movie on my iPhone. I do watch YouTube videos and some TV show episodes but never a movie. However, in the OP’s case I’d also recommend the 10.2 iPad as he plans on selling it and he doesn’t have access to any iPad at the moment.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I don’t know about the speakers but the display on the mini is better than that on the 10.2 iPad. It’s laminated and has True Tone. I’ve never watched a movie on my iPhone. I do watch YouTube videos and some TV show episodes but never a movie. However, in the OP’s case I’d also recommend the 10.2 iPad as he plans on selling it and he doesn’t have access to any iPad at the moment.

Yes, True Tone, P3, and a laminated display are nice features, but the 10.2 still has a beautiful display, and after a day and a half of putting it through its paces, I‘m really impressed with the performance it offers.

I’ve owned 3 iPad Pros, and the A10 is still able to keep up with the newer chips, handling everything I threw at it with ease. Because of the older chip, though, I wouldn’t have paid more than the $329 sale price I did for the 128GB model ($350 w/ tax). A 32GB base is too small, and at $430 I would steer my recommendation towards other models like the Air 3, or the Mini if you prefer the smaller form factor.

But the sales will keep coming for this new iPad, and what Apple is offering at this price point is commendable. The iPadOS experience still feels ”premium”, and no other tablet in this price point from the competition will come close to beating this thing.

Reactions: ScreenSavers

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Thanks for all your feedback I’ve decided to buy the mini 5

As I feel I will find a use case for it even with a new pro. I can keep it in my bag on a daily basics and use it for all my media on the go and even at home.

I love my pro max but I think for media the mini 5 will be something I can keep long term

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.