Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xenakis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2019
Hello,

for some unknown reason my daughter's iPad is off (try again in 10,202,982 minutes).

My daughter assures me that she did not make a mistake (??)

What to do ?

This ipad has never been saved on Icloud or Itunes. And there are some photos on the ipad that my daughter would like to recover.

I saw that there were some software on the net (like Dr. Fone) to unlock the ipad.

Is this serious? (because the license is costly ...)

do you have another solution?

Regards,

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Hello,

for some unknown reason my daughter's iPad is off (try again in 10,202,982 minutes).

What to do ?

This ipad has never been saved on Icloud or Itunes. And there are some photos on the ipad that my daughter would like to recover.

I saw that there were some software on the net (like Dr. Fone) to unlock the ipad.

Regards,

"Locked, try again in xxx minutes" is triggered by failed attempts to enter the passcode... nothing is "turned off" or deactivated... it is user induced.

The easiest solution is to wipe the device and restore from your backup.

Last edited:

enviroser

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2019
Good advice. Ok and how do we wipe it? I own a waste management company and in the garbage came seven working I pads. All locked. Can they be used? They come from acompany that closed and we are managing to dispose all their electronic devices thru recycling but really want to save these beauties. They all start and are only locked on the screen number. Seems they belonged to the company and were assigned to the employees..

Last edited:

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Good advice. Ok and how do we wipe it? I own a waste management company and in the garbage came seven working I pads. All locked. Can they be used? They come from acompany that closed and we are managing to dispose all their electronic devices thru recycling but really want to save these beauties. They all start and are only locked on the screen number. Seems they belonged to the company and were assigned to the employees..
They're likely all iCloud Activation locked, no way to bypass that. I suppose you could use them for parts, though.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Hello,

What to do ?

Regards,
Take it to Apple. Prove it’s yours and they can unlock it. The problem you’re having IS caused by a user entering the wrong passcode over and over many times. The iPad is doing its job.

Reactions: Never mind

enviroser

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2019
They're likely all iCloud Activation locked, no way to bypass that. I suppose you could use them for parts, though.
nope .just the screen lock. there has to be some way to reuse them ....to give away to poor kids or something.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
nope .just the screen lock. there has to be some way to reuse them ....to give away to poor kids or something.
The person was referring to Find My’s Activation Lock feature, which prevents a device that has changed hands (willingly or otherwise) from being activated after it’s erased unless and until the previous owner removes the device from their Apple ID, as a theft deterrent.

If you’re still seeing the passcode entry screen, the devices haven’t been erased and may or may not still be on the prior owner’s Apple ID. The only way to know for sure is to connect to a computer, erase the devices, then try setting them up. If you see an Activation Lock screen like that shown in the link, then the devices are worthless (except for some parts) unless you identify the previous owner and ask them to remove the devices from their Apple ID. I can tell you that the device recycling/refurbishing services out there generally won’t accept iOS devices with Activation Lock given the relatively high risk that they were stolen.

Not that I recommend this approach, there are often ways to bypass Activation Lock that pop up and get patched across iOS updates, though.
[automerge]1575315503[/automerge]
Hello,

What to do ?

Regards,
As for this issue, the easiest way (as an earlier poster said) to get the iPad working again is to restore the device from a backup by connecting it to a computer.

Reactions: revmacian
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.