Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
Coming back home and spending a lot of time with family, there was a lot of picture taking and this caused me to finally bite the bullet and upgrade my iCloud storage. Viewing them on my 1st Gen iPad Air here is a lot better/easier than my phone (an XR) and consequently, I’ve been using it a lot more now.

In using it more, I’ve given some thought to possibly buying another one when my MBA dies (would continue to use this Air, but I havent used it enough to keep the battery in good shape).

My question is, is the Smart Keyboard folio a decent keyboard attachment for iPad, or are there better third-party keyboards (and what are they) ??

icloud

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Price wise the Smart Keyboard is one of the more expensive keyboards available (Better prices through Amazon or eBay). If price is the #1 consideration, consider a BT keyboard through Logitech or something.

People online seem to have a love or hate relationship with this keyboard based on 1) price, 2) odd origami design, and 3) typing experience.

Recommendation: I would recommend that getting the chance to try typing on one would be more valuable than anything I could write in this forum. For me, how a keyboard feels is ultimately a lot more important than just price at the end of the day.

Personally, I‘ve always loved the Smart Keyboards - particularly the typing experience. I prefer it second only to the Magic Keyboard. Origami design is odd, but handy as both combo cover/keyboard.

Reactions: GalileoSeven

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
Thanks for the input. I'll definitely hit up my local Apple store and see what I can get my hands on to try. Right now, I'm torn between the iPad Air (have a first gen currently) and the iPad Mini (love the portability aspect), so if I go the smaller route, that will cancel out the smart keyboard.

icloud

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Thanks for the input. I'll definitely hit up my local Apple store and see what I can get my hands on to try. Right now, I'm torn between the iPad Air (have a first gen currently) and the iPad Mini (love the portability aspect), so if I go the smaller route, that will cancel out the smart keyboard.

The mini is the baby Yoda of the iPad world. I bet even if you went for the Air there would still be a fondness for the mini.

My partner uses a mini with a Bluetooth keyboard, but she’s such a lightweight iPad user that the mini (she generally uses the device for reading/lists/recipes) that this setup works. Alternatively, I do a lot more writing, media consumption, and note taking that despite my love for the mini, the larger iPad fits my use case best.

Thing I remind myself is Apple’s return policy (Or stores like Costco with even more generous return policies). Again, if price is not the deciding factor (iPad Air + Keyboard > iPad mini + Bluetooth Keyboard), buy the one you feel serves your case best, and return if things just aren’t working out.

saw27

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2015
Depending on the IPad you get, I got the Generation 7th generation with smart connector...and then got the Logitech rugged folio. Keeps iPad protected, has a fold out and around keyboard, dedicated IOS keys, and a place to put the pencil.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
For convenience the smart keyboard is a very sleek & practical choice, but expensive. I usually opt for the smart cover any BT keyboard I still own that works & is lying around option. I only recently got the smart keyboard as a gift, the thing I prefer most is the form factor. Typing experience is acceptable.

coach_ditka

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2019
Illinois, USA
I recently picked up a Logitech Slim Combo to go with my Air 3. It's got a very nice keyboard, but coming from a logitech blok, it is not as solid/stable. The keyboard becomes disconnected often while in storage, so I can't just open it up and start typing, I need to separate and re-attach. A minor annoyance for an overall good product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.