Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leo Johnson

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2019
The 10.5pro is a better option over Air3
It doesn't matter if it is A10x, it's still can handle anything you throw at it

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
A smoother screen response applies to anything with rapid motion, from all games to on screen animations. 120hz =/= 120FPS, which seems to be what you’re misunderstanding. For example, a game such as PUBG will appear smoother and more responsive on a 120hz screen than on a 60hz scren, just by nature of the screen’s refresh rate being doubled.

Not true. A game being rendered at 60 FPS will look and feel the same on a 120hz screen as a 60hz screen. 24fps movie looks the same on all TVs unless you turn on interpolation (fake smoothing, soap opera effect) where you get the tv manufacturers claimed 400hz etc etc.

Also, a pro motion display doesn’t display 120hz all the time. It changes depending on the content, 24 for a movie, 120 when scrolling safari, 60 when playing a game that renders at 60 cause that extra 60 with the screen running at 120 will just drain battery for no gain.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
24fps movie looks the same on all TVs unless you turn on interpolation (fake smoothing, soap opera effect) where you get the tv manufacturers claimed 400hz etc etc.
That depends. Some people are sensitive to judder caused by 3:2 pulldown.

Also, a pro motion display doesn’t display 120hz all the time. It changes depending on the content, 24 for a movie, 120 when scrolling safari, 60 when playing a game that renders at 60 cause that extra 60 with the screen running at 120 will just drain battery for no gain.
I do question this part (variable refresh rate). 120Hz refresh rate is good because it's evenly divisible by 24, 30 and 60 so it's able to display content at their native refresh rates.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
That depends. Some people are sensitive to judder caused by 3:2 pulldown.

I do question this part (variable refresh rate). 120Hz refresh rate is good because it's evenly divisible by 24, 30 and 60 so it's able to display content at their native refresh rates.

Yeah I didn’t want to go into those kind of specifics. I’m glad the Apple TV has a setting to match frame rate. I’m very sensitive to this.

edit: about your other point. It does it so save battery. Apple mentioned it in one of their promo videos when the pro motion display was first released. The name “pro motion” isn’t just because it can display 120hz, it was also because is could dynamically change. Can’t say I ever notice it, feels like 120 all the time so it must be switching really quickly.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
The name “pro motion” isn’t just because it can display 120hz, it was also because is could dynamically change. Can’t say I ever notice it, feels like 120 all the time so it must be switching really quickly.
If you do the math, it is a matter of milliseconds (60 fps - 16,67 ms per frame, 120 fps - 8,34 ms per frame) and not humanly noticeable. Given that a processor works in the range of megahertz or gigahertz, that's not too surprising and exactly as intended. Just wondering why this tech does not show up in other devices like laptops, desktops and other manufacturers devices?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
If you do the math, it is a matter of milliseconds (60 fps - 16,67 ms per frame, 120 fps - 8,34 ms per frame) and not humanly noticeable. Given that a processor works in the range of megahertz or gigahertz, that's not too surprising and exactly as intended. Just wondering why this tech does not show up in other devices like laptops, desktops and other manufacturers devices?
It's present in gaming monitors for tearing and stutter-free play. I think some of those actually go up to 240Hz. Of course, a powerful GPU is required.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
It's present in gaming monitors for tearing and stutter-free play. I think some of those actually go up to 240Hz. Of course, a powerful GPU is required.
You‘re talking about FreeSync and GSync, yes, that‘s the monitor matching the framerate of the GPU. But not a single GPU is intent to adjust its framerate like „as low as necessary, as high as possible“. That‘s a missing piece everywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.