Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mhadvocate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2019
Hello all.

I had a question about what would likely be the best keyboard case option for the 2018 iPad Pro. Unless an announcement is imminent, my employer will not be able to wait for an upcoming iPad Pro to upgrade its iPads. Unless I am told otherwise, I do have a choice between an 11" and the 12.9". We are pretty settled on the Pros.

I have been searching for reviews (and forum posts) for quite some time about keyboard cases for both the 11" and 12.9" and have thus far come to the determination that there isn't necessarily a perfect candidate. To a large extent, we do like getting a case that can function like a laptop. In the past, we have had great luck with Zagg cases, but I see they are not getting the best of reviews these days. So I have seen plenty of talk about the Logitech Slim Folio Pro and the Brydge Pro.

Given that our use case may differ from many of the reviews I have seen, I will give a good summation of what we are hoping to use the iPad Pros for when it comes to writing purposes. While we may end up using the iPad for creative purposes, day in and day out we tend to not take them out of the case and we most often use them for writing and other general business work.

Most of the time:
1) Meetings at a table. We do plenty of meetings that are either a couple hours long or all day. This seems to be something most reviews account for. Plenty of people are liking the Logitech keyboard cases. While we do write notes during these meetings, it's not typically a heavy load.

Some of the time, but very intense when it happens. This is the part I'm struggling with:
2) Legislative sessions. This is a strictly lap writing environment and seating conditions are tight and not especially comfortable. And we're often there all day, for months on end during regular sessions. I'm the one writing notes, sometimes close to verbatim notes of things said during the course of a testimony and Q&A. I want to make sure that my iPad doesn't fall backward/forward or that the stability of the case+iPad is in question. This was the work environment I thought about first when it comes to buying a case for the iPad.

I have seen things said in reviews that many of the folio-based cases are probably not a good bet for that. So, of course I saw the Brydge cases, but I have also read some things that make people hesitate to use them (the hinges, reliability of the keyboard itself, etc.). Whereas my employer can largely make due with a folio or laptop-like case, I'm needing to be able to perform more specific duties with writing. If something were to go wrong with the keyboard case, it's not out of the question to be able to get another product, but I certainly can't make a habit of it. It would probably be best to get the best product I can out of the gate.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of the suggestions.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I only have the Apple keyboard case for my 12.9”. I do like the combo. But I do minimal typing. and minimal typing is all it is good for. are you taking a lot notes, or transcribing the meeting?

I think anyone doing a lot of typing would want a non-membrane style keyboard. I am also wondering if you would not be better off with a Macbook?

I do love my iPad. So if you stick with that you might want to find the Kickstarter keyboard with a built-in touch pad. Or, maybe consider using a mouse with the iPad. I suspect Brydge is going to have to offer a built-in trackpad In order to compete.

Good luck in your quest. I’m sure others will respond with better specifics about the keyboards you are looking at.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.