Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your 11” or 12.9” iPad Pro bent?

• Yes

Votes: 55 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 160 74.4%

• Total voters

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
I posted this in another thread, but I think posting it here maybe will clear some things up. *Firstly, these iPad pros can bend or warp. I am not denying or saying those with problems of bent or warped iPads are not legitimate. I will say this has been blown out of proportion like a giant whale.
I have had multiple iPads in the past bend or become bent from me inadvertently handling them or just the way they are manufactured.
now as for these iPads that are crazy thin and made of a flexible metal... they will bend the same as any iPad before.
What frustrates me is folks looking to buy this iPad are bombarded with people saying they are like paper and will 110% most likely be bent or will bend, (even in a super strong case.)
So those people then miss out on a fantastic device that actually IS NO MORE WEAK than the 10.5” iPad Pro.
I don’t think anyone here besides a few more logical posters are taking into account... science.
Or a reason that these larger sized iPads can appear to bend more easily than the smaller iPads before them.
A thing called “Deflection” occurs when bending (like JerryRig or AnythingApplePro do.)

Here is what “Deflection” is...

An object that is thin But shorter in length won’t bend as easily as a longer one that is also thin.
If one tried to kick in a 3’ 2x4” board vs 1’ 2x4” board... the 3’ breaks on the first or second try while the 1’ takes more effort.

Deeper explanation of “Deflection”...

“When one grabs a twig and tries to break it, the ends are pulled together to bow the stick till it breaks.
The deflection (‘bending’) of a stick is proportional to the cube of its length. So, with the same force, a stick of length ? will be deflected 8 times less than a stick of length 2? with the same force.
Now, one side of a bent twig is stretched and the other side is contracted. This stretching/contraction is proportional to the deflection, and when it reaches a limit (Breaking stress), the twig breaks.
So what's happening here is that as you shorten the twig, you lose the capacity to generate deflection, and thus it becomes harder to break.”
-PSE.com

*Not being condescending here... but if anyone does a google search or were to talk to a physics professor it/they will say or explain the same thing.

So with all that in mind... I’m not saying the newer iPads are perfect. Rather, they are just as prone to bending than other thin tablets or computers, but due to their longer size the new iPad pros will “seemingly” appear to bend easier, but in fact are not any weaker than the iPad pros before.
As seen in this video, the 10.5” pro is very weak and easily bent with not much strength.
And the fact that the smaller pro bends so as easily essentially shows they are perhaps even weaker than the new 11” and 12.9” Pros everyone thinks are the flimsiest iPads made. I’d argue the new ones are perhaps stronger by a very slight margin.

To test this out yourself, go grab two 2x4” planks of wood, (both the same kind of wood.) Buy a 3’ and a 1’ one or a 2’ and 5’ one and break each one. Doing so, you’ll see the longer one breaks easier.
mid you have tons of money, buy an iPad 12.9” and a 10.5” iPad Pro and do the same thing with the same amount of pressure... both will bend equally.
there is no such thing as #Bendgate (unless you are counting the iPad Air 2 all the way to the newest iPad Pros) then #Bendgate is possible. ?✌

But for those wondering if buying an 11” or 12.9” iPad is a good idea or not... it is, you will love the device, and it is not a weak and flimsy piece of tech. It’s exactly as strong as the materials it was made from.

PSA over. ✌?

Kallum

EDIT!!! Apologies if any of my post came off arrogant, condescending, offensive, or rude... was not my intention and I in NO WAY think anyone here is stupid or unintelligent. I was merely pointing something out that was maybe forgotten.

Last edited:
Reactions: aevan

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
It’s exactly as strong as the materials it was made from.

I don’t think anyone with half a brain has a problem understanding basic physics. I think the whole point is that many would like to see a design (material and structure) that is not as easily bent. Make the device a tad thicker or use a better grade of aluminum or a different alloy altogether. The current ultra thin design has inherent weak points such as the cutouts along the edge for switches/antennas and such. Yes, it takes external pressure to bend it. It’s the amount of force (or lack thereof) required that is in question.

That said, I personally have not experienced any of my iPads bending but I realize it’s probably not hard to do.

Mc95

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2019
Hi guys, I just signed up. My ipad pro 12.9 (wifi only) is shipping today and I spent these last days reading stuff about bending etc already bought a cover folio (which I’m aware is not enough to prevent the issue) but my question is: since I will basically use it at home and I’ll carry it out not that much, what if I put the ipad, when I take it out in my backpack, in its original box? I know it’s not a confort solution but I won’t use it around so might this be a perfect solution? I mean it’s the box where it belongs, nothing can happen, right? Ahah
I’m serious, let me know guys

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
I don’t think anyone with half a brain has a problem understanding basic physics. I think the whole point is that many would like to see a design (material and structure) that is not as easily bent. Make the device a tad thicker or use a better grade of aluminum or a different alloy altogether. The current ultra thin design has inherent weak points such as the cutouts along the edge for switches/antennas and such. Yes, it takes external pressure to bend it. It’s the amount of force (or lack thereof) required that is in question.

That said, I personally have not experienced any of my iPads bending but I realize it’s probably not hard to do.
Apologies, my post wasn’t meant to be condescending or anything. I was just trying to point out that this iPad is like the others and the reason it may appear to bend easily isn’t just because of the structural integrity. That 10.5” pro bend video proves the 11” and 12.9” Pros structural build quality aren't super different or really weaker than the others. Yeah the smart connector/charger spot appears to be a problem... but that’s the same issue as the smart connector on the others.

MY APOLOGIES to anyone who maybe was offended or thought I was talking down to you. I was not and had no intention of being condescending or rude. ✌️

kallum.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
There’s a thing called torque and it’s a function of the distance from the end of a thing that has pressure applied to it. In the case of a lever, a longer lever can lift more load with less force (since the force applied is multiplied by the length to the fulcrum). Same is true for a bigger iPad. It’s longer and so any torque applied to one end (say, by holding it with one hand) is amplified more than for a smaller iPad. Plus, it weighs more, which further amplifies the effect. A 12.9" needs a beefier structure to support against this, and I don't think the 2017 model has it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kal-037

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
There’s a thing called torque and it’s a function of the distance from the end of a thing that has pressure applied to it. In the case of a lever, a longer lever can lift more load with less force (since the force applied is multiplied by the length to the fulcrum). Same is true for a bigger iPad. It’s longer and so any torque applied to one end (say, by holding it with one hand) is amplified more than for a smaller iPad.
I was going to ad more and talk about torque, but I got lazy after writing my long post (that no one will probably even care about.) lol ?

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I posted this in another thread, but I think posting it here maybe will clear some things up. *Firstly, these iPad pros can bend or warp. I am not denying or saying those with problems of bent or warped iPads are not legitimate. I will say this has been blown out of proportion like a giant whale.
I have had multiple iPads in the past bend or become bent from me inadvertently handling them or just the way they are manufactured.
now as for these iPads that are crazy thin and made of a flexible metal... they will bend the same as any iPad before.
What frustrates me is folks looking to buy this iPad are bombarded with people saying they are like paper and will 110% most likely be bent or will bend, (even in a super strong case.)
So those people then miss out on a fantastic device that actually IS NO MORE WEAK than the 10.5” iPad Pro.
I don’t think anyone here besides a few more logical posters are taking into account... science.
Or a reason that these larger sized iPads can appear to bend more easily than the smaller iPads before them.
A thing called “Deflection” occurs when bending (like JerryRig or AnythingApplePro do.)

Here is what “Deflection” is...

An object that is thin But shorter in length won’t bend as easily as a longer one that is also thin.
If one tried to kick in a 3’ 2x4” board vs 1’ 2x4” board... the 3’ breaks on the first or second try while the 1’ takes more effort.

Deeper explanation of “Deflection”...

“When one grabs a twig and tries to break it, the ends are pulled together to bow the stick till it breaks.
The deflection (‘bending’) of a stick is proportional to the cube of its length. So, with the same force, a stick of length ? will be deflected 8 times less than a stick of length 2? with the same force.
Now, one side of a bent twig is stretched and the other side is contracted. This stretching/contraction is proportional to the deflection, and when it reaches a limit (Breaking stress), the twig breaks.
So what's happening here is that as you shorten the twig, you lose the capacity to generate deflection, and thus it becomes harder to break.”
-PSE.com

*Not being condescending here... but if anyone does a google search or were to talk to a physics professor it/they will say or explain the same thing.

So with all that in mind... I’m not saying the newer iPads are perfect. Rather, they are just as prone to bending than other thin tablets or computers, but due to their longer size the new iPad pros will “seemingly” appear to bend easier, but in fact are not any weaker than the iPad pros before.
As seen in this video, the 10.5” pro is very weak and easily bent with not much strength.
And the fact that the smaller pro bends so as easily essentially shows they are perhaps even weaker than the new 11” and 12.9” Pros everyone thinks are the flimsiest iPads made. I’d argue the new ones are perhaps stronger by a very slight margin.

To test this out yourself, go grab two 2x4” planks of wood, (both the same kind of wood.) Buy a 3’ and a 1’ one or a 2’ and 5’ one and break each one. Doing so, you’ll see the longer one breaks easier.
mid you have tons of money, buy an iPad 12.9” and a 10.5” iPad Pro and do the same thing with the same amount of pressure... both will bend equally.
there is no such thing as #Bendgate (unless you are counting the iPad Air 2 all the way to the newest iPad Pros) then #Bendgate is possible. ?✌

But for those wondering if buying an 11” or 12.9” iPad is a good idea or not... it is, you will love the device, and it is not a weak and flimsy piece of tech. It’s exactly as strong as the materials it was made from.

PSA over. ✌?

Kallum

EDIT!!! Apologies if any of my post came off arrogant, condescending, offensive, or rude... was not my intention and I in NO WAY think anyone here is stupid or unintelligent. I was merely pointing something out that was maybe forgotten.

Great post!

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
I’ve been trying to get a replacement because a single 20cm crack appeared from one side to an adjacent side without a drop (I was in a hot country though). Apple store said no because there was some other minor cosmetic damage caused before. Now I’ve just realised that both the front and back of this device are not flat. The screen is convex and so is part of the back between the Apple and the smart connector. The store put me onto support yesterday and today they are due to ring me in the next hour, so we will see. Annoying that the store did not check this though.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I just bought a new 12.9 iPad Pro 2018. How do I check if its bent? Place it on a table and check if it wobbles?

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I just bought a new 12.9 iPad Pro 2018. How do I check if its bent? Place it on a table and check if it wobbles?
Use it in your everyday activities and see if it’s noticeable. Many people don’t even realize their device is bent until someone mentions it - which leads me to believe that they might never had noticed had someone remained silent.

Reactions: Eugr and aevan

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Mine appears slightly bent along the pencil magnet edge. It could be my imagination, as I only starting noticing after viewing this thread. I lay it flat, screen side down and it seems perfectly flat. No rocking or wobble. It’s only when I look down the straight edge it looks like it’s bevelled slightly. I think the camera bump might give the illusion of a a bend. Not sure.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Oh my gosh! I just had the worst day, I realized my iPad 2, and iPad 1 from 2010, and 2011 aren’t perfectly straight and I only ever used the 1 and 2 at a desk with no extra pressure put on it besides my tiny elf hands.
I think we need to take #Bendgate global and make it a priority (like above eating, loving our families, and working.) This is unacceptable that metal, wood, plastic, crystals even, and ipads, galaxy tabs, laptops annnnd I even have my iMac that isn’t 100% perfectly straight and perfect... like its off, I swear! But that’s not the worst, my iPad 2 and iPad Pro I THINK are maybe: 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.00001% not perfectly perfect too...

WE NEED TO GO TO DEFCON 0, because DEFCON 1 isn’t enough. ???

OH wait, never mind... not a single object on this Earth perfectly straight or just plain perfect because guess why folks?... science.
Seriously this thread NEEDS to be burned, kicked in the face, and then deleted from the time space continuum. I say this because sinceriously people all iPads can bend, YES. But it is not some crazy ridiculous #Gate or worldwide iPad bending epidemic. Everything is imperfect or even may come not as good as it could be. Did everyone know that not even lasers can perfectly cut an object to a perfect degree, (it’s still has inconsistencies on a molecular level, again because... science.
“Perfect“ is a construct created by greedy but smart companies, regular stupid society, and our own expectations, obsessive behavior, or OCD. Stop playing this ridiculous game.

All versions of iPads, iPhones, iMacs, and MacBooks are NOT perfect and I promise if you take a laser to measure and check any of those devices for 100% perfect straightness... they won’t be, not a one. Warps, bends, creases, or just plain imperfections will be what you discover.

TO THOSE WONDERING IF YOU SHOULD BUY A 2018 iPAD PRO... YES! GO BUY ONE!!!
They are the best iPads ever built and are incredible devices, and NO they are not some product infected with #Bendgate where they bend and crease like play-dough. They will be 99.99999999999% straight or amazingly not crazy bent, but you WILL NOT notice it unless you are looking for the smalles most micro imperfection (*and I mean “MICRO”)
?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️
The only reason I WOULDN’T recommend a new iPAD PRO is if you don’t need such a powerful device or are on a strict budget.

here are some true hashtags...
#BendGateIsBS #NothingIsPerfect #EverythingBendsOrIsImperfect #Uggggghhhh.

Kallum.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
What he doesn’t seem to “get” is no one would give a crap if their iPad is
perfectly straight or not, if it wasn’t accompanied by an UNRESPONSIVE SCREEN.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Seriously this thread NEEDS to be burned, kicked in the face, and then deleted from the time space continuum.

No, this thread serves a valid purpose. Your hyperbole is not helping, but I understand that you're trying to counter balance the other extreme.

The real purpose of this thread is to discuss the valid concern that this generation iPad is a bit too thin... To the point where they come out of the box bent (that might have been a limit run because we haven't heard much since shortly after launch) or bend too easily under normal use. These are valid concerns that warrant discussion.

The iPad Pros are expensive for what they are. It is not unreasonable for consumers to expect not necessarily perfection, but a quality product that they can feel comfortable using.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Oh my gosh! I just had the worst day, I realized my iPad 2, and iPad 1 from 2010, and 2011 aren’t perfectly straight and I only ever used the 1 and 2 at a desk with no extra pressure put on it besides my tiny elf hands.
I think we need to take #Bendgate global and make it a priority (like above eating, loving our families, and working.) This is unacceptable that metal, wood, plastic, crystals even, and ipads, galaxy tabs, laptops annnnd I even have my iMac that isn’t 100% perfectly straight and perfect... like its off, I swear! But that’s not the worst, my iPad 2 and iPad Pro I THINK are maybe: 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.00001% not perfectly perfect too...

WE NEED TO GO TO DEFCON 0, because DEFCON 1 isn’t enough. ???

OH wait, never mind... not a single object on this Earth perfectly straight or just plain perfect because guess why folks?... science.
Seriously this thread NEEDS to be burned, kicked in the face, and then deleted from the time space continuum. I say this because sinceriously people all iPads can bend, YES. But it is not some crazy ridiculous #Gate or worldwide iPad bending epidemic. Everything is imperfect or even may come not as good as it could be. Did everyone know that not even lasers can perfectly cut an object to a perfect degree, (it’s still has inconsistencies on a molecular level, again because... science.
“Perfect“ is a construct created by greedy but smart companies, regular stupid society, and our own expectations, obsessive behavior, or OCD. Stop playing this ridiculous game.

All versions of iPads, iPhones, iMacs, and MacBooks are NOT perfect and I promise if you take a laser to measure and check any of those devices for 100% perfect straightness... they won’t be, not a one. Warps, bends, creases, or just plain imperfections will be what you discover.

They are the best iPads ever built and are incredible devices, and NO they are not some product infected with #Bendgate where they bend and crease like play-dough. They will be 99.99999999999% straight or amazingly not crazy bent, but you WILL NOT notice it unless you are looking for the smalles most micro imperfection (*and I mean “MICRO”)
?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️
The only reason I WOULDN’T recommend a new iPAD PRO is if you don’t need such a powerful device or are on a strict budget.

Kallum.
Rant aside, I wish I had your rationale. These things are stupid expensive and silly as it may sound, it lingers with you when you know you have paid the same as everyone else and that some are perfect, some are not and yours just happens to fall within the not perfect. Bad luck doesn’t cut it when your spending this much, especially with the knowledge that the majority of iPP are perfectly straight/flat but you’ve been stung by the minority that aren’t. If it were me, I’d half expect it to be sold as faulty with a substantial reduction in cost, as I would with anything designed flat that had bends or bevel. I’m talking clear identifiable bending here & not a micron here or there.

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester

WE NEED TO GO TO DEFCON 0, because DEFCON 1 isn’t enough. 😱😱😱

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Kallum.

how much has Apple paid you for that out of interest

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Been using my 12.9” normally, not babying it or anything for a year now. Amazing device. I carried it in a shoulder bag alongside a MBP, chargers, mouse, bt keyboard, etc. I also carried it in my backpack. Every day to work and back. I also use it in my bed, on my desk, everywhere in my apartment. I use it every day. It’s perfectly straight. At work, several people use them also, carrying them to work and back daily. No issues.

One big caveat, though: I didn’t try to bend it with my hands. So, if you’re a professional device bender, or even just an enthusiast tablet folder, this is not a device for you.

I mean, I can bend a lot of things with my hands. I’m almost certain I could snap my thin OLED TV with no problems, if I tried. So, just use your iPad normally and it will be fine. So fine, that I honestly don’t expect any structural refinements for the next version.

And for those wondering, yes, I have been payed by Apple. Because I’m actually Tim Cook.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ventmore

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Been using my 12.9” normally, not babying it or anything for a year now. Amazing device. I carried it in a shoulder bag alongside a MBP, chargers, mouse, bt keyboard, etc. I also carried it in my backpack. Every day to work and back. I also use it in my bed, on my desk, everywhere in my apartment. I use it every day. It’s perfectly straight. At work, several people use them also, carrying them to work and back daily. No issues.

One big caveat, though: I didn’t try to bend it with my hands. So, if you’re a professional device bender, or even just an enthusiast tablet folder, this is not a device for you.

I mean, I can bend a lot of things with my hands. I’m almost certain I could snap my thin OLED TV with no problems, if I tried. So, just use your iPad normally and it will be fine. So fine, that I honestly don’t expect any structural refinements for the next version.

And for those wondering, yes, I have been payed by Apple. Because I’m actually Tim Cook.
Happy Birthday Tim ?

Reactions: aevan

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
We have some samsung tab S6, and they are also slighty bend...i hope this brands will stop going in this stuppid thickness or thinnest race...they are already thin enough...or, in present too thin...
I think around 7mm thickness is the best balance

Reactions: xx22

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
We have some samsung tab S6, and they are also slighty bend...i hope this brands will stop going in this stuppid thickness or thinnest race...they are already thin enough...or, in present too thin...
I think around 7mm thickness is the best balance
all they need to do is the use stronger aluminium just like 6->6S and improve structural too. Win win for everyone. Until they do I'm not getting one. Too expensive to "risk" it as I keep my devices for a very very long time (still on my Air 2) and I need solid device to last. So Apple, its on you. Want my money? Improve the product just like you did with 6S.

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
Hey guys,

is there a way to determine the mftr date of an iPad Pro 12.9 by the serial number?

I'm pretty sure I learnt this a few years ago when trying to find the mftr date on an iPhone..hmm

it’s ok, managed to find it

it’s called Chipmunk?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.