Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your 11” or 12.9” iPad Pro bent?

• Yes

Votes: 55 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 160 74.4%

• Total voters

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I think the OP is interested in the successor to the one you had the problems with - which seems to be a completely different screen.

Completely different screen? Do you have the details on what screens were on each 12.9" IPad Pros?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Completely different screen? Do you have the details on what screens were on each 12.9" IPad Pros?

Second vs third generation iPad Pro is a different screen product. The third generation is a so called Liquid Retina panel and has those rounded corners. The second generation is a typical LCD with 4 corners with 90 degree angles. That’s the details. Hence it’s a completely different piece of hardware.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Hey guys,

is there a way to determine the mftr date of an iPad Pro 12.9 by the serial number?

I'm pretty sure I learnt this a few years ago when trying to find the mftr date on an iPhone..hmm

it’s ok, managed to find it

it’s called Chipmunk?

Connect to Coconut or 3U Tools to find the date.

Reactions: leebroath

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Second vs third generation iPad Pro is a different screen product. The third generation is a so called Liquid Retina panel and has those rounded corners. The second generation is a typical LCD with 4 corners with 90 degree angles. That’s the details. Hence it’s a completely different piece of hardware.

Removing or shrinking the bezels doesn't change the type of display. The resolutions look the same and they both appear to have laminated screens, which is likely what causes the problems. Can you link to where relevant differences are discussed? I'm interested to know how Apple has addressed (or not) the issues that cause screen insensitivity.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Removing or shrinking the bezels doesn't change the type of display. The resolutions look the same and they both appear to have laminated screens, which is likely what causes the problems. Can you link to where relevant differences are discussed? I'm interested to know how Apple has addressed (or not) the issues that cause screen insensitivity.

I don’t know of an in-depth tech review of the display in the new unit or what Apple did to avoid certain issues they might have had in other products. Resolution and Pro motion seem the same, but Apple used laminated iPad screens starting with the air 2 I believe. Have you heard of similar issues with that model? Mine is doing ok still.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
is fair and neutral imo and he backs it up with scientific testing.

Bending something as thin as iPad Pro with arms is not scientific testing. It’s a show.

Scientific testing would include a controlled environment and a control group - or at least simulating everyday scenarios. Like he could’ve put the thing in a full bag and carried it around for a few days, but see how many views would that video have. Especially since the iPad would most certainly come out straight after that, which is non-news for YouTubers like him.

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
Unfortunately I pulled my 11" out of the case the other day and noticed it was bent as well. Quite disappointing seeing the care I've taken of this thing. I gently bent it back!

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Wow. How did I miss this thread. Just noticed my iPad Pro has a bend too. Apple refused to do anything.
If you bent it, Apple cant do much ??‍♂️
[automerge]1576259719[/automerge]
what type of condition do you put your ipp through. if i get this its gonna be lugged around with heavy case files and my mbp.

edit: just saw this

yikes......
If i say what i think about this click-baiter I would be suspended... ?

Last edited:

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Is discrediting other posters the new norm now? Simply accusing people of bending it does not make it fact. It seems you are bending something (hint: it is not your iPad).
I’m not discrediting anyone. It is a matter of fact.
The iPad doesn’t bend by itself.
It could happen by accident, for sure. And it could happen without the user being aware of it.
But it bends only if you bend it.
It is called physics.
[automerge]1576263481[/automerge]
Whatever you want to think...
I don’t think anything, and I surely am not happy about that.
But an iPad doesn’t bend by itself.
It is a quite slim sheet of aluminum and glass. It doesn’t take much to bend it.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
If you bent it, Apple cant do much ??‍♂️
[automerge]1576259719[/automerge]

If i say what i think about this click-baiter I would be suspended... ?

imagine having nothing to do besides attacking people who have complaints about their apple products ?

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
It doesn’t take much to bend it.

And that's really the issue here. It doesn't take much to bend. Apple should have built the device better so regular, day-to-day use doesn't result in it being bent. But they didn't. So here we are.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
And that's really the issue here. It doesn't take much to bend. Apple should have built the device better so regular, day-to-day use doesn't result in it being bent. But they didn't. So here we are.
To my knowledge, they didn’t advertise it as “bend proof”.
I knew since the first time I saw it that it is a device you have to treat with care.
Regular day-to-day use doesn’t bend it.
A torsion could.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Apple should have built the device better so regular, day-to-day use doesn't result in it being bent.

Day-to-day use doesn't result in it being bent.

We have several in our studio, and they are handled without any special care. Personally, I have one for a year now, carry it in bags and backpacks daily. I am yet to see a bent iPad Pro. So I speak from experience.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

Well said. It’s amazing that after 1500 posts there are still those who pretend it’s business as usual in iPad land. I had two people in my office next to me on my last job with bent cellular devices and we have an unbent one ourselves. They need more care than my previous iPads to stay in shape. They bend easily. That might not happen to everyone but these units are out there.

Reactions: AndyMacAndMic
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.