Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryankul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2014
Michigan
Haven't used a Chromebook in a little bit. Been going through some tablet options (iPad Mini 5), large
smartphones and others trying to find a good combo.

Recently I dumped smartphones all together and went to a flip phone. Less interuptions, less time staring at another screen and lower bill. Was really hard and eventually put my sim back in my smartphone and after the first day realized how many times
I was constantly looking at my phone because of emails, texts, app updates and more. That following day it went back in to my flip phone and its now been over a month.

The iPad was great for portability and battery life was good also. The screen size was a little to small and the jump to the iPad Pro $799 is just way too much for me to put in a tablet.

Eventually picked up a 11" Acer Chromebook Spin. 11" Touch screen, full keyboard, usbc and usb 3. Memory card reader, head phone and hack and more. Web browsing has been really good, Typing on a real keyboard feels good. Being able to plug in a hard drive, flash drive or other devices without adapters is great! I really only surf the internret, check email, watch video, do social media, type documents and store photos. So far this seems to be working. We will see as time goes by.

Ryan

Suspended
Jan 11, 2018
Recently I dumped smartphones all together and went to a flip phone. Less interuptions, less time staring at another screen and lower bill. Was really hard and eventually put my sim back in my smartphone and after the first day realized how many times

I'm on the verge of doing this, but don't think I'd be able to go through with it. More because of other people and how I text them a lot.
[automerge]1571748100[/automerge]
Eventually picked up a 11" Acer Chromebook Spin. 11" Touch screen, full keyboard, usbc and usb 3. Memory card reader, head phone and hack and more. Web browsing has been really good, Typing on a real keyboard feels good. Being able to plug in a hard drive, flash drive or other devices without adapters is great! I really only surf the internret, check email, watch video, do social media, type documents and store photos. So far this seems to be working. We will see as time goes by.

Ryan

Does your flip phone have the ability to tether so you can get internet anywhere?

Also, how are you finding the Google ecosystem vs Apple?

ryankul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2014
Michigan
Kyocera Cadence from Verizon prepaid supports both tethering and mobile hot spot. Really good reliable phone. Texting has taken time to get use to but is working fine. Really good combo so far.

On a Chromebook the Google OS seems good. I already was using Gmail, Google Drive, Google Photos (to backup). So far web browsing is great, youtube, netflix and music watching is really good. Battery life is insanely good lol (as it should be). I ended up picking up the Acer Spin 11 for $250. 4gb ram, usb 3, usb c, microsd support, touch screen and more.

Pretty happy. Think I might have finally found my combo.

ryankul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2014
Michigan
UPDATE:

I tried going back to a iPad / My Flip phone setup. Problem is although the iPad is a great device,
it's also limiting in a lot of ways. Even with adapters (purchase separately) It's still difficult dealing
with hard drives, sd card downloading and more. iPad OS has helped with a lot of things but It
is just not enough. If I was still using a iPhone I would be even more likely to skip an iPad
altogether.

So I'm still on the Kyocera flip phone which I really like. Loaded music on the micro sd card in the phone so
I'm good in the car and playing with my Ultimate Ear bluetooth speaker. The built in 4g hot spot is a nice touch. The Chromebook has a real (built in) keyboard, usb3, usb-c, touchscreen, built in microsd card reader and headphone jack.

Best setup for me for now. The good thing is, technology changes constantly so maybe the next iPad will
be even closer to a primary device for me.

Reactions: alex cochez

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
UPDATE:

I tried going back to a iPad / My Flip phone setup. Problem is although the iPad is a great device,
it's also limiting in a lot of ways. Even with adapters (purchase separately) It's still difficult dealing
with hard drives, sd card downloading and more. iPad OS has helped with a lot of things but It
is just not enough. If I was still using a iPhone I would be even more likely to skip an iPad
altogether.

So I'm still on the Kyocera flip phone which I really like. Loaded music on the micro sd card in the phone so
I'm good in the car and playing with my Ultimate Ear bluetooth speaker. The built in 4g hot spot is a nice touch. The Chromebook has a real (built in) keyboard, usb3, usb-c, touchscreen, built in microsd card reader and headphone jack.

Best setup for me for now. The good thing is, technology changes constantly so maybe the next iPad will
be even closer to a primary device for me.

Just curious if you're still liking this combo?

Reactions: Expos of 1969

ryankul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2014
Michigan
Just curious if you're still liking this combo?

Have the flip phone but went back to the iPad as primary device.

After trying the chromebook for awhile I realized I just dont need a keyboard,
don’t need to ply stuff in and more.

Part of me would like to grab an inexpensive iPhone but... they still are not cheap. Att and Verizon prepaid iPhone 6s models are $200+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.