Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
At least there was read support on macOS (not entirely useful but it’s “there”. Hopefully that much can be brought to the iPad.
Yep. Read support is all I need.

exFAT is poorly supported even on Windows so I prefer to stick to NTFS. exFAT's okay for a flash drive, not so much for SSD or HDD where I need to be able to move and resize partitions (on Windows and Linux Mint).

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Great list but it would be a nightmare if alarms and timers went off on all the devices in my house at the same time. I would have to hit the snooze on four separate devices, my wife would also, our three kids would have to hit the snooze on 2 devices EACH... all around the same time each morning. Now that would create some morning moods. 14 alarms needing snoozed... that option would need turned off in my house. Lol
Haha, no, yeah that would be nuts. I was thinking it could work like continuity or FaceTime calls, where you would just need to dismiss it on one device for it to be dismissed everywhere. Timers, at least, would be super useful for me if this could be possible. I frequently start a timer on one device and then switch devices in the meantime, and completely forget about it.

Neonblue

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2009
London
- Better App support for Picture-in-Picture mode (YouTube especially).
- Better support for, and more integrated widgets.
- More customisation for Control Center. I should be able to configure ANY setting there.
- A favourites section in the Apple Music App. Better statistics (play count etc).
- Apple Watch, Health App and Activity App support / synchronisation.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I agree with lots of the above suggestions, especially:

- Better mouse support
- Using an external monitor as an extended desktop
- Read access to NTFS (write would be even better)

I’d also like to see the ability to customize the desktop. Seeing widgets is nice, but I want much more control than the grid pattern we are stuck with.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
For iPadOS 14, in addition to what other people said:
- Time Machine =)
- Ability to set a default "Open With" for different file types (kinda related to default apps but not exactly the same).
- Resizable UI panels to better use space (The sidebar of the Files App is huge on my 13 iPad Pro).
- Universal Command + N shortcut to open new windows. At the moment, you need to go to App Expose and tap the "+" icon (why don't we have this already? It drives me crazy when I think about it! ? ).
- Universal Command + X shortcut to close the current windows when multiple windows of the same app are open. Perhaps, after closing it, send the user to the most recent still-open window from the same app.
- Option to start split screen multitasking by dropping windows into each others from the app switcher (this is another feature whose absence I cannot explain. It would make multitasking so much easier. And by the way, this is exactly how it works for fullscreen windows on a Mac).
- Ability to add own music files to the Music App and/or better music player integrated into Files.
- Bonus little thing: ability to set icon size in the Files App (or make them smaller on the 13", ATM they are huge).

Reactions: Ludatyk

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I've stopped waiting for Apple to get jiggy with iPadOS (and have switched to using alternatives for most of my mobile uses) so this list is more of a "what will it take for me to return to using the iPad as my primary mobile device"....

1. full mouse support
  2. true extended display support
  3. true universally accessible file system
  4. full support for USB peripherals
My other devices running Android (even the otherwise restricted Amazon Fire 10 HD) and Chrome OS support these and I am able to be far more productive with them than an iPad Pro. This is why I'm using those devices for my mobile needs and use my base iPad as my digital notebook/planner/journal.

I'd love to get back to using an iPad (Pro or non) for everything, but life is too short to wait and time too valuable to use convoluted workflow solutions to work around iPadOS limitations.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Mail that works (forced to use Spark) and Health. I can already make regular phone calls via my ipad using facetime.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I can already make regular phone calls via my ipad using facetime.

Yeah, but it’d be so nice if they gave us a way to access voicemails too. For me, having phone calls on my iPad is almost pointless since I need to screen a lot of calls, and I can’t do that without voicemail access. I’d also really love a normal dialer. And if they add all that, I just think it makes sense to spin it all into its own app to make it cleaner and equivalent to the iPhone. :)

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
Yeah, but it’d be so nice if they gave us a way to access voicemails too. For me, having phone calls on my iPad is almost pointless since I need to screen a lot of calls, and I can’t do that without voicemail access. I’d also really love a normal dialer. And if they add all that, I just think it makes sense to spin it all into its own app to make it cleaner and equivalent to the iPhone. :)
What about ... FaceTime voicemails? :D FaceMails ftw!

Reactions: boston04and07

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
It would be so cool to have a) Time Machine in the iCloud for iOS devices and b) not having it count against your iCloud storage.
it would be cool indeed, but they will never do b). therefore, local storage would be ok. I have a hard drive attached to my airport extreme. Works great and much faster than the cloud. Another great feature that made Mac computers unique in the 2000s. =)

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Weather and calculator apps for a start! It would be nice if the calculator App could pop up in its own PiP-like window and be dragged around the screen as well! Sorting out split view a bit better would probably be my #1 - I preferred it when you could pull in from the side to get your list of available split view apps, rather than having to either keep everything in the dock, or exit from an app to find the one you want to use. It still feels a little bit limited and clunky, and outside of actual floating window support which is probably either never going to happen for UI/ touch interface reasons, or is still probably a long way out yet, working out a way to really make multi window use flexible and intuitive would be good. I feel like we're almost there with App Exposé and the ability to long press for new instances of apps, but there's something still to be desired here and I can't quite put my finger on it other than that it's awkward to invoke split view if you don't have the app you want to use in the dock (and obviously it's impractical to do that if you use a lot of apps).

Reactions: boston04and07

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012
it would be cool indeed, but they will never do b). therefore, local storage would be ok. I have a hard drive attached to my airport extreme. Works great and much faster than the cloud. Another great feature that made Mac computers unique in the 2000s. =)
Then again, this would contradict the "it just works" mantra. You would need another drive that happens to be Wi-Fi connectable. You would need to set it up first - I guess if Apple doesn't extend the storage tiers, this would be a nice compromise to have if backups and say Messages in the iCloud wouldn't count against the paid (or not) iCloud storage. But hey, we will see what will happen anyways by just waiting some more!

Reactions: canesalato

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Then again, this would contradict the "it just works" mantra. You would need another drive that happens to be Wi-Fi connectable. You would need to set it up first - I guess if Apple doesn't extend the storage tiers, this would be a nice compromise to have if backups and say Messages in the iCloud wouldn't count against the paid (or not) iCloud storage. But hey, we will see what will happen anyways by just waiting some more!
I don’t mean wifi only, so any hard drive would work fine. Just like for Time Machine for the Mac.
The “it just works” mantra unfortunately is something from the past, in my opinion. :-/ Anyway, let’s hope for something good. :)

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
I know it'd be quite a redesign but I'd like the home screen to be more of like a desktop experience. I know it changed a bit with iPadOS 13 but having a 12.9" display just show a grid of icons doesn't look good IMO. I'd like the apps to take up less space on the home screen or maybe there even be a way to access them similar to launchpad. Then the home screen can hold files, maybe some widgets that can be moved around, external drives or network drives can show up when they're connected, etc.

Reactions: Falhófnir

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I would like to be able to see/edit file names in the Photos app. Thus making videos easier to identify.

music tag editor for synced music (some errors popped up on a few albums when last synced), I just want to fix them instead of hooking back up again.

jackietreeh0rn

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2018
Notifications are still a mess on iOS/iPadOS. At this point, I think they should just copy how Android handles it (the thing I like the most about that platform). They are just so much more streamlined.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Notifications are still a mess on iOS/iPadOS. At this point, I think they should just copy how Android handles it (the thing I like the most about that platform). They are just so much more streamlined.

I think iOS notifications are fine.. Apple needs to be more smarter in the way notifications gets received, but I'm ok with it. Perhaps a slight redesign for iOS, but iPadOS needs a major overhaul. It needs to be distinct from iOS.. the fact that Apple has changed it to iPadOS I'm hoping that we get a different approach to how notifications are handled.

I interact with notifications.. it should be similar to how macOS handles notifications whereas it should not cover the entire screen like it does on iOS.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I think iOS notifications are fine.. Apple needs to be more smarter in the way notifications gets received, but I'm ok with it. Perhaps a slight redesign for iOS, but iPadOS needs a major overhaul. It needs to be distinct from iOS.. the fact that Apple has changed it to iPadOS I'm hoping that we get a different approach to how notifications are handled.

I interact with notifications.. it should be similar to how macOS handles notifications whereas it should not cover the entire screen like it does on iOS.

The notifications drop-down is the single most annoying part of using an iPhone. Trying to get to a folder in the top row and suddenly boom! I’m opening twitter instead with the pop up that just showed up just in time.

On the iPad, it’s not so bad thanks to having a larger screen to work with. I would prefer the Window Shade from Android as well as it’s just less intrusive. I’ve also noticed that when I do get an alert while watching a movie, the screens color space will shift suddenly. It’s distracting but nothing major.

Reactions: subjonas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.