Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbrady3324

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2009
Exchanging it will definitely fix the problem unless you're unlucky enough to receive a second dud.

I am heading to apple store shortly. I have noticed that the battery drains much faster while on wifi. When on LTE, the battery seems more reasonable.

Is Screen Time something I should disable? Is that still a battery hog?

Last edited:

jbrady3324

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2009
So. Apple is telling me to turn off background refresh. I find that hard to believe since many users have amazing battery life with it on. And there is nothing to suggest any app is eating battery in the background

jbrady3324

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2009
Trust me, your phone is defective.

I agree. They do not. My wife has an iPhone 11 with the same apps plus a zillion more. Same WiFi, plus Apple Watch. She has no issues at all with battery life.

if I do the express return, will I be getting a refurbished device? Any downsides?

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I agree. They do not. My wife has an iPhone 11 with the same apps plus a zillion more. Same WiFi, plus Apple Watch. She has no issues at all with battery life.

if I do the express return, will I be getting a refurbished device? Any downsides?

1. Refurb Apple devices are same/better than new. No downsides whatsoever.

2. Refurb isn’t guaranteed. Could be a new non retail piece. But refurb ones might be better than new for Apple.

3. Too early for a 11 Pro refurb. Would be new I guess.

jbrady3324

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2009

2. Refurb isn’t guaranteed. Could be a new non retail piece. But refurb ones might be better than new for Apple.

They replaced my phone. Trying to set it up now to see if my battery issues are now gone. The phone is getting very hot during set up (through my case). I never noticed this with my previous pro 11

Reactions: DarrenTayyy

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
They replaced my phone. Trying to set it up now to see if my battery issues are now gone. The phone is getting very hot during set up (through my case). I never noticed this with my previous pro 11

Best of luck.

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
For what it’s worth I noticed restoring via DFU and not recovery mode fixed my over heating issues and battery drain.
[automerge]1570827441[/automerge]
For what it’s worth I noticed restoring via DFU and not recovery mode fixed my over heating issues and battery drain.

I’m getting about 5 hours of on screen time with heavy to moderate use. Granted it’s an iPhone X and not an 11.
BDBB63B1-21F8-49D1-ACAE-4095FF98FBDF.png

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
[automerge]1570827441[/automerge]

I’m getting about 5 hours of on screen time with heavy to moderate use. Granted it’s an iPhone X and not an 11. View attachment 868752

What is your battery health?
[automerge]1570863045[/automerge]
Already seeing the drain 3% in an hour not touching the phone. My wifes iPhone 11 has been at 100% for almost 2 hours. Only difference is she is on 13.0 and I am on 13.1.2. I am at a complete loss.

100 to 99% = equivalent to 5-6%

After that it is mostly linear.

If your new iPhone has poor battery life, do a DFU and start from scratch, not from a backup.

DarrenTayyy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2019

Don't think you dealt with this kind of problems before? If the phone is defective and has something wrong with it. There will be no way in hell he's not getting a new one? Refurbished products are trash anyway, regardless who sells them.

Last edited by a moderator:

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018

jbrady3324

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2009
So siri is constantly running in the background, however the real problem (potentially caused by siri) is my phone is never going to sleep. I just ran an xcode energy log for 165 minutes. I hardly touched the phone and it was running for 145 min and slept for 17 min. It attempted to sleep a few times, but was not successful.

jbrady3324

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2009
This has been resolved. For anyone have this issue in the future please see this post https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250132402 as it has great info on the issue. This is due to homekit and Philips Hue Bridge (constantly Multicasting devices associated with homekit). What I have done is unplug and disconnect Hue Bridge from my network and disable my Apple TVs homekit hub capabilities.

I plan to re-enable Homekit, test, and then plug in my Hue bridge and test to see if the drain comes back.

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
This has been resolved. For anyone have this issue in the future please see this post https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250132402 as it has great info on the issue. This is due to homekit and Philips Hue Bridge (constantly Multicasting devices associated with homekit). What I have done is unplug and disconnect Hue Bridge from my network and disable my Apple TVs homekit hub capabilities.

I plan to re-enable Homekit, test, and then plug in my Hue bridge and test to see if the drain comes back.

Thanks for keeping us updated. I have a Hue bridge as well. I'll try this tonight because I noticed some serious standby drain recently.

Reactions: jbrady3324

jbrady3324

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2009
Thanks for keeping us updated. I have a Hue bridge as well. I'll try this tonight because I noticed some serious standby drain recently.

I dug around and Philips was supposed to address the issue with an update to the bridge. I just updated the bridge and will test in a few days. For now, I just want to confirm my battery stabilizes for a few nights.

Reactions: badatusernames

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
I dug around and Philips was supposed to address the issue with an update to the bridge. I just updated the bridge and will test in a few days. For now, I just want to confirm my battery stabilizes for a few nights.

That includes your iPhone?

jbrady3324

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2009
and iPad. My iPhone's battery, so far, looks rock solid as does my iPad. The only outstanding issue is why is Siri running all the time but that is another battle!

Reactions: badatusernames

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
and iPad. My iPhone's battery, so far, looks rock solid as does my iPad. The only outstanding issue is why is Siri running all the time but that is another battle!

Are you still having issues? I noticed my iPhone X started having really bad drainage through the night.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.