Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jim McN

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2017
Yep, original charger ?

Alright then I would really make an appointment to the Genius bar and see what they are saying because going to 96% within this short period is really fast. Unless if this is a bug from iOS...

Last edited:
Reactions: shanson27

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Charging to 100% is reason why battery is dying so fast. Max charging to 80% is ideal. iOS 13 has a feature when it will keep the battery at 80% until the phone determines, based on your charging pattern, to charge to 100% just prior to you being active on the phone. If you keep battery between 40-80%, you will extend life significantly, some go for the 30% to 90% mark. Don't let it drop below 20% either, both extremes are very bad for lithium batteries.
Not really sure we are really talking about being above 80% or below 20% being extremes that are "very bad". It's more that they might not be optimal, but that's quite a ways of being bad, let alone very bad.

Even following all the optimal suggestions it's also not that clear that battery life would be extended "significantly".

smf72

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
One month old 11 Pro with 99% and only 26 cycles. The interesting thing is my Pro Max which is launch day and has 56 cycles is at 100% but coconut battery says the capacity is above rated. Just use your phone and enjoy it life is to short you won't even notice the tiny loss.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
A battery is like when you go to McDonald’s and get a cup of pop. Some will have an extra ounce or so due to spillage or whatever. The battery may be rated for 3100mah, but some have 3200 and others have 3000. If yours has 3000, it will level out quickly (health will drop) and then it will level out. Some call it the battery lottery, but it is not an exact science.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I didn't check the battery health on my XS purchased at launch until approximately a month after I got it and it was at 97% (may have been at 97% new out of box). I watched it closely for the remainder of the year I had it and it never dropped below 97% and performance was always fine. It was charged with the 5 watt charger early on and switched to a 12 watt charger later. Charged once every evening to 100% but never overnight.

Aljon

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2019
I didn't check the battery health on my XS purchased at launch until approximately a month after I got it and it was at 97% (may have been at 97% new out of box). I watched it closely for the remainder of the year I had it and it never dropped below 97% and performance was always fine. It was charged with the 5 watt charger early on and switched to a 12 watt charger later. Charged once every evening to 100% but never overnight.
U mean u charging to 100% in the evening before u sleep?

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
How much does it drain overnight?

To be honest I didn't pay attention to the percentage in the mornings, but I don't think it lost much overnight. I'm not a heavy user, don't watch videos on the phone or listen to music, etc. and have never had to charge the battery more than once a day. I usually have plenty of percentage left most evenings, especially now with the 11 Pro.

Reactions: Aydy

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
To be honest I didn't pay attention to the percentage in the mornings, but I don't think it lost much overnight. I'm not a heavy user, don't watch videos on the phone or listen to music, etc. and have never had to charge the battery more than once a day. I usually have plenty of percentage left most evenings, especially now with the 11 Pro.

Does your 11 Pro last 2x your X?

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
My Xs max is still showing 100% after 4.5 months. Not sure these results can be trusted tbh. Of course, usage patterns differ for everyone and mmv from one device to another.

My XS Max to is showing 100% after almost 6 months, and I charge it daily overnight and sometimes do top ups to 100% if traveling.

Nothing is accurate with this capacity stat, it’s more an approximation, people putting too much weight on it and letting it stress them out even on Facebook

Aljon

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2019
My iPhone XS Max is 4 months and 26 days already and it was 98% and then i did a full reset erase content and settings my battery health went back to 100% weird, I’m charging midnight 12 midnight to 3 am, i set an alarm so i can remove it from the power.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
You can baby your battery like this & it’ll still drop like any other battery. I charge mines overnight & gone below 20% plenty of times it’s at 95% after a year.

Babying the battery will not make a difference.
That's not true.
If you keep your battery from deep discharging (or being at 100% for extended periods of time) you will extend its life.
[automerge]1574081641[/automerge]
How much does it drain overnight?
1% in a 7 hrs night in my case.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
That's not true.
If you keep your battery from deep discharging (or being at 100% for extended periods of time) you will extend its life.

If you just charged your phone or if it was at 100%, then a 1% drop = 5%-6%. If you didn’t charge your phone in the last few hours (and it wasn’t at 100%) then the figure you get is the real drop.

So can you tell now?

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
My iPhone XS Max is 4 months and 26 days already and it was 98% and then i did a full reset erase content and settings my battery health went back to 100% weird, I’m charging midnight 12 midnight to 3 am, i set an alarm so i can remove it from the power.

This is the sort of babying i don’t do, I charge my XS Max overnight, it can sit on 100% charge for 4-5 hours, I simply unplug when I need to and my capacity is still at 100% after almost 6 months. Why the hell would you need to set an alarm to unplug your phone? You are becoming a slave to a piece of tech now. Don’t do this to yourself

That's not true.

Please see above.

• Sad
Reactions: Aljon

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Now that's something I would not want to do on a daily basis just to charge my phone and only to wake up just to unplug it and going back to sleep. You could probably find something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Century-Digi...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl and just program it where you could probably just plug it in, and at 3 pm it will charge the phone and by the time you wake up, it's 100%.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
This is the sort of babying i don’t do, I charge my XS Max overnight, it can sit on 100% charge for 4-5 hours, I simply unplug when I need to and my capacity is still at 100% after almost 6 months. Why the hell would you need to set an alarm to unplug your phone? You are becoming a slave to a piece of tech now. Don’t do this to yourself

Please see above.
Anecdotal evidence.
Battery chemistry is another thing.
You were lucky with that battery.
[automerge]1574092042[/automerge]
If you just charged your phone or if it was at 100%, then a 1% drop = 5%-6%. If you didn’t charge your phone in the last few hours (and it wasn’t at 100%) then the figure you get is the real drop.

So can you tell now?
again this nonsense ....

1% is 1%.
Not 5/6%.

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.
My 8+ used to drop about 1% per month, even the replacement. My 11pro is still at 100% after 2 months. I use/charge them both the same.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
You wake up at 3am to remove your phone from the charger? Am I understanding you correctly?
[automerge]1574102244[/automerge]
Anecdotal evidence.
Battery chemistry is another thing.
You were lucky with that battery.
[automerge]1574092042[/automerge]

again this nonsense ....

1% is 1%.
Not 5/6%.
He's correct and it has been proven countless times on here. Ever notice how an iPhone at 100% will get a LOT of usage before it says it's at 99%? The iPhone will display 100% until it's actually down to 96% or so. This has been proven, I just don't have a link from the last time it was brought up.

iPhone at 100% will easily get 20-30 minutes of screen time before dropping to 99%. It's because apple implemented it this way.

Last edited:
Reactions: BugeyeSTI

dqhario

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2019
Jakarta
I have 96 % battery health on my iPhone 11 Pro after 1,2 months of use ?
View attachment 877031 View attachment 877113

Mine too! I lost 1% battery health in 2 months of use. Anyway did you use your phone for game more often? If it yes, did you play the game while charging? And.. did you set your game in highest graphic etc?

In my personal use, lately i play game more often. I set the graphics etc in the best one. It drains the battery fast and make my phone warm. But, i never use / play the game while charging.

I think this is the main reason why my battery health now at 99%. Trying hard to change this habbit!

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
You wake up at 3am to remove your phone from the charger? Am I understanding you correctly?
[automerge]1574102244[/automerge]

He's correct and it has been proven countless times on here. Ever notice how an iPhone at 100% will get a LOT of usage before it says it's at 99%? The iPhone will display 100% until it's actually down to 96% or so. This has been proven, I just don't have a link from the last time it was brought up.

iPhone at 100% will easily get 20-30 minutes of screen time before dropping to 99%. It's because apple implemented it this way.

I don’t think it’s specific to 100%. No matter what you charge to it usually stays longer at that point than any other while you’d see it stay longer at 100% before it starts to fall.

Reactions: tonybarnaby

shanson27

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 27, 2011
Mine too! I lost 1% battery health in 2 months of use. Anyway did you use your phone for game more often? If it yes, did you play the game while charging? And.. did you set your game in highest graphic etc?

In my personal use, lately i play game more often. I set the graphics etc in the best one. It drains the battery fast and make my phone warm. But, i never use / play the game while charging.

I think this is the main reason why my battery health now at 99%. Trying hard to change this habbit!
Nope, I don’t play any games

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.