Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ramzini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2019
I've had the Pro Max since release, and only just noticed that there is an audible "click" with certain haptic feedback actions.

For example, opening up the control center and quickly tapping the brightness or volume sliders will cause this "click" every time. Tapping and holding results in a "click" followed by the typical haptic feedback when it pops open the larger slider.

The click doesn't seem like it's coming from the speaker, though it's hard to tell because they're both located on the lower left side of the phone.

I've also noticed that disabling haptic feedback in the touch settings doesn't actually disable it, but makes it softer.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited:

Gunpei

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2019
Yes! I just made a thread about it and it’s the exact same problem!

What iOS are you running? My theory is that it is 13.2.2 that’s causing it.

Sorry for making a second thread about this, MacRumors!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes! I just made a thread about it and it’s the exact same problem!

What iOS are you running? My theory is that it is 13.2.2 that’s causing it.

Sorry for making a second thread about this, MacRumors!

Sounds like it might be something prior to iOS 13.2.2 given that this thread is from a few days before that version was released.

Gunpei

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2019
Yeah, I figured. I’m afraid it’s hardware related (loose part in the Taptic Engine?)

What did you do Ramzini?

Ramzini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2019
Yeah, I figured. I’m afraid it’s hardware related (loose part in the Taptic Engine?)

What did you do Ramzini?

Just read your thread. I had to laugh because I first noticed it sitting on the toilet also! :)

No solutions thus far. I was on 13.2.1 when I wrote this thread, and since updating to 13.2.2, I still experience this issue.

It's not really noticeable unless, as you said in your thread, you're in a very quiet place, so I'm trying not to let it bother me too much.

The idea of a click that's not supposed to be there on a phone with this price tag is more annoying than the actual click itself.

Gunpei

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2019
Let me know what they say if you don't mind!
They asked me to factory reset my iPhone, which I did. It still makes the sound when it has none of my data. Currently reinstalling everything... I will contact them again tomorrow. The guy in the chat said if a factory reset does nothing, it is probably a hardware issue...

Ramzini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2019
They asked me to factory reset my iPhone, which I did. It still makes the sound when it has none of my data. Currently reinstalling everything... I will contact them again tomorrow. The guy in the chat said if a factory reset does nothing, it is probably a hardware issue...
Thanks for the update! Let me know if you have any others.

Gunpei

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2019
Thanks for the update! Let me know if you have any others.
They told me to come to an Apple Store to have it checked, but couldn’t give me any background information whatsoever. I’ll go to a Service Provider first, since the nearest actual Apple Store is like two hours away...

Ramzini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2019
They told me to come to an Apple Store to have it checked, but couldn’t give me any background information whatsoever. I’ll go to a Service Provider first, since the nearest actual Apple Store is like two hours away...
Same! My nearest Apple store is over 120 miles away. Keep us updated!

cooLiosis

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2019
Hi there!

I also found out about this issue a week ago and already took my phone to the Authorized Service Provider. Apple decided to replace my phone but the replacement phone I received also has this issue. So that didn’t help.

Reactions: Ramzini

Gunpei

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2019
Oh, that sucks! Is this a common issue that is underrecognized? Or do we hear stuff that other people don’t hear?

Reactions: Ramzini

Ramzini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2019
Hi there!

I also found out about this issue a week ago and already took my phone to the Authorized Service Provider. Apple decided to replace my phone but the replacement phone I received also has this issue. So that didn’t help.

That's interesting! I wonder if it's inherent in the design?

cooLiosis

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2019
That's interesting! I wonder if it's inherent in the design?

Do your phones also make this very minor extra vibration when doing the click sound? My both phones (previous + replacement) make this.

Easiest to feel when for example tapping a text in Safari (just hold your finger over text for a while but not too long so that haptic touch doesn’t activate)

Ramzini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2019
Do your phones also make this very minor extra vibration when doing the click sound? My both phones (previous + replacement) make this.

Easiest to feel when for example tapping a text in Safari (just hold your finger over text for a while but not too long so that haptic touch doesn’t activate)
Yes. It's the same if you tap on the brightness or volume sliders in the control center.

cooLiosis

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2019
Yes. It's the same if you tap on the brightness or volume sliders in the control center.
Yeah, I wonder if this could just be a software issue in the end. I don’t remember having this with iOS 13.0. Only after the updates later.

Gunpei

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2019

Yeah, same for me. It only happens at the smallest vibrations, lime those are made with a separate motor.

Same! My nearest Apple store is over 120 miles away. Keep us updated!

My Service Provider told me it’ll take five weeks for them to check my phone (??), so it’s better to take it to an Apple Store. The Pro Max’s at the store did not have the issue.

Sharkchu

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2019
For this only happen for the Max version? I think I saw a YouTuber mention the same issue.

cant find the link.

Daniel3122

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
Tried disabling system haptics
disabled vibrations in accesibility-touch
disabled keyboard clicks
all were reccomended by apple support but the click is still there. The diagnostics concluded as okay. Maybe its not the haptic engine?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.