Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

egorev

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2018
I have the same problem on iPhone 11. I figured out that for a short period of time this 'click' goes away if you open any page in the browser and select any text (long press on the text). After that, you will not experience these clicks until you long press on any app or another control (e.g. in the control centre).

So I guess it's a software issue.

aldenh

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
Yes. It's the same if you tap on the brightness or volume sliders in the control center.
Yes my previous phone did this light vibration. Got a replacement and now I noticed it again. Wondering if its software or hardware issue! I dont hear any sound.

shayaanmalik

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
I'm having the same issue and really confused if it's hardware or software. I've done back and forth with Apple for over 3 months now and have shown it to them in both Thailand and the UK but because my device was bought from the US and is the US Model A2161, they say it needs to be sent to the US for 'further testing' before they can make a decision on what to do.

Personally, I think they themselves don't knonw what this is.
[automerge]1576573907[/automerge]
Yes my previous phone did this light vibration. Got a replacement and now I noticed it again. Wondering if its software or hardware issue! I dont hear any sound.

How did you manage to get it replaced?

aldenh

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
I'm having the same issue and really confused if it's hardware or software. I've done back and forth with Apple for over 3 months now and have shown it to them in both Thailand and the UK but because my device was bought from the US and is the US Model A2161, they say it needs to be sent to the US for 'further testing' before they can make a decision on what to do.

Personally, I think they themselves don't knonw what this is.
[automerge]1576573907[/automerge]

How did you manage to get it replaced?
I just went to the Apple store here in Canada took me about 30min to convince them with one of their store phones side by side. Its a very light touch and hard to notice for some but its there. This new phone has that weird touch as well at times but not very often only when scrolling on text and lightly tapping on the screen. The previous phone had it way more often for example when unlocking the phone with face id I would get a light tap. Im also wondering if this is software or hardware related but I as well have filled a bug report.

shayaanmalik

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
I just went to the Apple store here in Canada took me about 30min to convince them with one of their store phones side by side. Its a very light touch and hard to notice for some but its there. This new phone has that weird touch as well at times but not very often only when scrolling on text and lightly tapping on the screen. The previous phone had it way more often for example when unlocking the phone with face id I would get a light tap. Im also wondering if this is software or hardware related but I as well have filled a bug report.

How did you convince them to give you a new phone? In my experience, they're adamant on simply repairing the device (replacing the taptic engine) which is something i'm not comfortable with.

aldenh

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
I didnt try to convince them to give me new device. But they didn’t mention anything about repair at the end they were like ok we will exchange it.

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
I know exactly what youre talking about, because this used to happen on my XSMax in iOS 12. I first noticed it after playing many many rounds of Ridiculous Fishing (which vibrates nonstop), so I suspect it actually may be some sort of hardware glitch with the Taptic Engine.

It's never done it on my iPhone 11, so far....

aldenh

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
I know exactly what youre talking about, because this used to happen on my XSMax in iOS 12. I first noticed it after playing many many rounds of Ridiculous Fishing (which vibrates nonstop), so I suspect it actually may be some sort of hardware glitch with the Taptic Engine.

It's never done it on my iPhone 11, so far....
What did you exactly experience??

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
What did you exactly experience??

So in Ridiculous Fishing, you have to shoot fish. And while youre shooting fish, it's firing the haptic vibration nonstop for 15, 20 seconds at a time. After many rounds of this, the vibration would suddenly change to a harsh "CLICK" "CLICK" and then go back to the normal vibration, and then more "CLICK CLICK"

Just brief, quick CLICKS in the middle of the expected vibration.

After a while, this CLICK would rear its head in other apps...sometimes when refreshing the Youtube app, it would CLICK instead of the normal soft haptic tap.

aldenh

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
So in Ridiculous Fishing, you have to shoot fish. And while youre shooting fish, it's firing the haptic vibration nonstop for 15, 20 seconds at a time. After many rounds of this, the vibration would suddenly change to a harsh "CLICK" "CLICK" and then go back to the normal vibration, and then more "CLICK CLICK"

Just brief, quick CLICKS in the middle of the expected vibration.

After a while, this CLICK would rear its head in other apps...sometimes when refreshing the Youtube app, it would CLICK instead of the normal soft haptic tap.
Interesting! On my first phone I would get a light tap when unlocking the phone with face id. This 2nd phone seems way better but sometimes I notice some light taps a very light vibration like that CLICK but cant identify it when or where exactly. Or maybe its phantom vibrations at this point hahah.
Sometimes in the youtube app when I open I would get 3 times haptic vibrations is that normal? Can you guys try it and let me know here , it seems very odd.

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
Interesting! On my first phone I would get a light tap when unlocking the phone with face id. This 2nd phone seems way better but sometimes I notice some light taps a very light vibration like that CLICK but cant identify it when or where exactly. Or maybe its phantom vibrations at this point hahah.
Sometimes in the youtube app when I open I would get 3 times haptic vibrations is that normal? Can you guys try it and let me know here , it seems very odd.

The click I experienced is VERY noticeable, and very out of place. It's hard to explain further, but it was like something fell out of place and snapped back really quickly. A definite harsh CLICK sound rather than a vibration (like a mouse click, but more harsh)....

shayaanmalik

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
I didnt try to convince them to give me new device. But they didn’t mention anything about repair at the end they were like ok we will exchange it.
When you say exchange do you mean under warranty or do you mean exchange as in you were in the 14 day exchange/return period

aldenh

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
Now I hear the sound too for the first time. So all vibrations turned off on the phone but when I toggle on and off stuff in the settings app I hear a click and sometimes very light vibration even though everything is turned off. Was anyone able to get a replacement iphone that is fully working without these issue?? This is my second phone that has haptic engine issues!!!

shayaanmalik

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
Now I hear the sound too for the first time. So all vibrations turned off on the phone but when I toggle on and off stuff in the settings app I hear a click and sometimes very light vibration even though everything is turned off. Was anyone able to get a replacement iphone that is fully working without these issue?? This is my second phone that has haptic engine issues!!!

How you got it replaced in the first place is what i'm wondering. Can someone please help me get mine replaced as well? They become adamant on replacing the tactic engine and not the device so i would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what strings need to be pulled in store to make them replace the device.

aldenh

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
How you got it replaced in the first place is what i'm wondering. Can someone please help me get mine replaced as well? They become adamant on replacing the tactic engine and not the device so i would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what strings need to be pulled in store to make them replace the device.
You keep asking the same question, go to an apple store and see what they will say if they want to first try and replace the haptic engine then thats what you need to do. See if that will fix the issue !

shayaanmalik

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
You keep asking the same question, go to an apple store and see what they will say if they want to first try and replace the haptic engine then thats what you need to do. See if that will fix the issue !

I don't keep asking the same question my friend. Scroll up and read the thread. I have been to two different Apple stores in two different countries. Both have said they will replace the *taptic engine and not the device.

You don't get my point; if people have directly had Apple replace their device, why should I settle for a repair that actually involves opening and resealing my device also potentially affecting its resale value.

I'm a lawyer, not an idiot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.