Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Currently have the iphone 11 Pro. Thinking of switching to Pixel 4.
Only concern is about the battery life. I'm so used to the amazing battery life of 11Pro and i'm pretty sure it won't be that good. But will it last with a day with my heavy use?

Also, my personal problem - what to do with my Apple watch 4??

Anyone else in the same boat?

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Currently have the iphone 11 Pro. Thinking of switching to Pixel 4.
Only concern is about the battery life. I'm so used to the amazing battery life of 11Pro and i'm pretty sure it won't be that good. But will it last with a day with my heavy use?

Also, my personal problem - what to do with my Apple watch 4??

Anyone else in the same boat?

That’s the problem. There’s nothing that comes even close to the iPhone / Apple Watch integration.

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Curious, what’s driving the potential change?

2 reasons:
- cost of the iphone 11 Pro. I paid CAD$1500 for 64gb here in Canada
- Hey google - i find the voice commands are much better with android than Siri.
- Being a phone addict doesn't help either!!

Reactions: Godf1st

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Well I’d advise you to wait and compare all the reviews and follow the forum discussions. I don’t know enough about your options in Canada to advise you as well as I’d like about pricing. I think the 11 Pro is a much better phone for the money and will hold its value much better.

The Pixel 4 is showing signs of attempting to coast on some unproven new tech and features that ultimately may prove to be gimmicks, while ignoring much desired improvements on specs and features and even components that should be table stakes in 2019.

I can understand having an overpowering curiosity about the newest phone on the block, but I’d advise at least waiting for the first round of discounts. The buzz on this phone is not exactly joyous and I’m not sure how well it will sell.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Well I’d advise you to wait and compare all the reviews and follow the forum discussions. I don’t know enough about your options in Canada to advise you as well as I’d like about pricing. I think the 11 Pro is a much better phone for the money and will hold its value much better.

The Pixel 4 is showing signs of attempting to coast on some unproven new tech and features that ultimately may prove to be gimmicks, while ignoring much desired improvements on specs and features and even components that should be table stakes in 2019.

I can understand having an overpowering curiosity about the newest phone on the block, but I’d advise at least waiting for the first round of discounts. The buzz on this phone is not exactly joyous and I’m not sure how well it will sell.
Based on all the first look videos, it's pretty clear to me the Pixel line is a direct competitor to the iPhone 11 and the Samsung S10e. The hardware and design just doesn't compete well with the Pro and S10 flagship models.

Problem? All the Pixel 4 models are far too expensive. They start at $799. For that price, you can get a 128 GB iPhone 11 and have $50 to spare. Sure, they'll go on sale sooner than later (I would expect to see a $650 model by Christmas), but for now these just aren't flagship devices. They're too expensive middle of the road phones.

And I hate saying this. I think Rick Osterloh is great and I like what google does on the software side. but the hardware is not good enough for an $799 phone.

Drak3

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2019
So, instead of the iPhone 11 Pro, you'd rather have a cheap knockoff 11 Pro with bad software?

If you're going to switch to Android, the Pixel line is an awful option. The prior 3 phones are a strong argument for why Android phones really don't need major updates. Google is happy to repeatedly sacrifice stability to push an update schedule they can't handle, so much so that iOS 11 & 13 look highly polished by comparison.

At least the other OEMs hold off unnecessary major version updates until they have the bulk of the issues fixed.

Reactions: Sikh

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
So, instead of the iPhone 11 Pro, you'd rather have a cheap knockoff 11 Pro with bad software?

If you're going to switch to Android, the Pixel line is an awful option. The prior 3 phones are a strong argument for why Android phones really don't need major updates. Google is happy to repeatedly sacrifice stability to push an update schedule they can't handle, so much so that iOS 11 & 13 look highly polished by comparison.

At least the other OEMs hold off unnecessary major version updates until they have the bulk of the issues fixed.
The problem is all the other options tend to compromise software.

I wouldn't recommend switching to Android at this moment. If I did, I would begrudgingly go with a Galaxy device, but I think the iPhone 11 Pro is the place to stay for the moment.

Drak3

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2019
Android is developed by Google.
Google's involvement is development of commercial release bases and as a maintainer. The entire OS isn't developed by Google.
The compromises are added by OEMs to deal with their own implementations and limitations.
Compromises are choosing one option at the cost of the other. Unless the compromise is OEMs not pushing painly bad software that shouldn't have even entered the beta stage, or waiting to release an update that introduces nothing over their prior Android variants.

Otherwise, OEMs are improving Android. They don't need to choose their features over Google's.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012

I wouldn't call Android bad software. Google Assistant understands me completely fine, Siri doesn't. Android Auto in my opinion is better since it doesn't force me to use Google Maps on the main dash and I'm being forced to use Apple Maps to use main dash (correct my if I'm wrong, I just switched back to the iPhone). Coming from Android to iOS was easy because I find they are pretty much on the same level unlike back in 2011 when I went from iPhone 4 to HTC Aria and I hated Froyo.

I hated Android until I tried Nexus 5 and that is the phone that made me switch until iPhone 11 Pro came out. It's not Android's fault that Apple competitors don't make their phones last like Apple does.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Google's involvement is development of commercial release bases and as a maintainer. The entire OS isn't developed by Google.

Compromises are choosing one option at the cost of the other. Unless the compromise is OEMs not pushing painly bad software that shouldn't have even entered the beta stage, or waiting to release an update that introduces nothing over their prior Android variants.

Otherwise, OEMs are improving Android. They don't need to choose their features over Google's.
Yeah, you're not really getting this at all. That's okay though. Welcome to the board

Reactions: Sikh

Drak3

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2019
Yeah, you're not really getting this at all.
There's nothing to "get."

Third party OEMs offer better versions of Android than Google's near stock ROM. They're not making compromises with the OS itself to do it either, as they're adding onto it while maintaining what Google already built in (and often fixing the issues Google can't be bothered to fix).
[automerge]1571286049[/automerge]
I don't know, I loved my V10 and Note 8.
Neither of those phones are running Google's firmware or Google's variation of Android.
They're running LG and Samsung's, respectively.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I don’t think many people agree with the claim OEMs do a better job with Android than Google does
It’s not even a case of doing it better. They’re just different. Some like all the added features a certain manufacturer will add and some don’t.

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Looks like not many people are thinking along these lines.
I may wait till the full reviews are out before making a decision. I've another 10 days to decide before my return period for iphone 11 pro

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Test the iPhone 11 Pro for 14 days then return it then test Pixel 4/4XL for 14 days to see if the smarts, versatility, freedom and fewer bugs suit your use. Otherwise, return it and rebuy iPhone.

Reactions: jamezr

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Looks like not many people are thinking along these lines.
I may wait till the full reviews are out before making a decision. I've another 10 days to decide before my return period for iphone 11 pro

I think it would make more sense you getting the 11

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.