Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I don’t think many people agree with the claim OEMs do a better job with Android than Google does
In the past, yes, most OEMs didn’t know what they’re doing and only added bloat vs stock Android.
However, today, I’d go with OneUI/miUI/eMUI/etc than stock. Features like dual/twin apps are very useful in real life, and stock Android doesn’t offer that.

maj71303

macrumors regular
May 13, 2014
Maryland
I wouldn't switch if I was you. There isn't anything compelling enough for me to do it. Smartwatch integration is beyond poor to pretty much abandoned, apps are not as nicely done, accessories are poor, battery life will be average to poor once again like the last 3 generations, and constant battery drains. Also the carriers don't allow dual sim like they do for the iPhone. Unless you on Google Fi that ESIM is kinda useless.

I started on Android before i switched to apple and I think I'm going to stay with apple from here on out as the customization of android is nice but gets old after a while. I don't want to have to tinker with my device all the time. Android will never have the synergy of software and hardware because of the diverse nature of manufacturers.

If google had something like iMessage that worked on every phone I would strongly consider coming back to android. As of right now they can't even get RCS through the log jam of carriers across the world. IMO they need to stop asking the carriers for help and just start doing things how they want to do it.

Google needs to make a choice on if they are really in the hardware / device game or just an software / advertisement company. That choice needs to dictate how they do things. These half hearted attempts to make a phone show IMO a lack of focus. That lack of focus translates to that ever growing Google graveyard of products.

Reactions: phillytim

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I wouldn't switch if I was you. There isn't anything compelling enough for me to do it. Smartwatch integration is beyond poor to pretty much abandoned, apps are not as nicely done, accessories are poor, battery life will be average to poor once again like the last 3 generations, and constant battery drains. Also the carriers don't allow dual sim like they do for the iPhone. Unless you on Google Fi that ESIM is kinda useless.

I started on Android before i switched to apple and I think I'm going to stay with apple from here on out as the customization of android is nice but gets old after a while. I don't want to have to tinker with my device all the time. Android will never have the synergy of software and hardware because of the diverse nature of manufacturers.

If google had something like iMessage that worked on every phone I would strongly consider coming back to android. As of right now they can't even get RCS through the log jam of carriers across the world. IMO they need to stop asking the carriers for help and just start doing things how they want to do it.

Google needs to make a choice on if they are really in the hardware / device game or just an software / advertisement company. That choice needs to dictate how they do things. These half hearted attempts to make a phone show IMO a lack of focus. That lack of focus translates to that ever growing Google graveyard of products.

That’s why I’m with iOS. There’s nothing that comes close to the iPhone / Apple Watch integration.

GreenPea

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Get the Samsung galaxy S10 if you are wanting an Android phone. I just traded in my Iphone XS for the Iphone 11 128gb in white and LOVE it. But I usually like to keep an android phone to play with on the side and recently sold my Pixel 3 in anticipation of the Pixel 4. However, I am not very interested in the Pixe 4. I will probably get the S10 or S10e. But, the Iphone 11 is my favorite phone. I like it way better than my old Iphone XS primarily because of the battery life, size, and aluminum edges.

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Went to the local Best Buy and they had the white pixel 4 on display. Phone looked good and pretty fast. Since they had it all secured with chain and some bulky metal frame, I couldn’t see how It feels in hand to hold, weight etc.

But there is no wow factor like holding an iPhone which is always the case with pixel phones

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Pixel 4 is a poor representation of Android quality at the moment. Too expensive and not close to good enough hardware or software. Very gimmicky.

I would stick with iPhone.

Reactions: 1144557

ILowry82

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2014
Why not have the best of both? That's what I do. I have both a Pixel 4 XL and an iPhone 11 Pro. I typically use the Pixel as my daily driver. The battery isn't great but it isn't bad either. It should get you through a full day. As for the watch I actually use it with my Pixel. I just keep iMessage turned on and use my watch for my messages. They will relay from my iPhone over LTE. The watch actually lasts pretty much all day between being on WiFi and LTE

Reactions: mi7chy and jamezr

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Pixel 4 is a poor representation of Android quality at the moment. Too expensive and not close to good enough hardware or software. Very gimmicky.

And yet here some people are buying a Pixel for the Android software experience it gives them?

Out of curiosity, why is pure stock Android “not close to good enough”? I’m really intrigued.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016

The Pixel offers a great user experience. The air gestures might be a little gimmicky (at the moment at least) but the phone certainly isn't.

Why isn't the hardware good enough? The battery could be bigger but everything else is more than adequate. And software not good? Funny.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
It seems that the only downside of the Pixel 4 is the battery. Otherwise, users are reporting a positive experience with the phone. Yes, Soli might be gimmicky, but otherwise, the Pixel 4 and 4 XL seem like great phones. God forbid someone prefer a phone that’s not an iPhone.

It’s so weird to see @AustinIllini go from being a Pixel fanatic to... this.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

I disagree.....
I think the pure stock Android on the Pixel 4 offers a great overall user experience.
Might be expensive...but then iPhones are overpriced if we are comparing hardware.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The iPhone with the same build quality costs $699.
Hmmm so let's compare my iPhone Pro Max to say a Note 10+?
The iphone is way overpriced in the smartphone space when you compare hardware specs to other phones.
You know this to be true....you have posted the same thing several times in these forums. What changed now?

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Still not explaining your reasoning why the Pixel 4 has poor hardware and software. And why the phone is gimmicky?
The way Google pitched radar is a gimmick. The quieting of the alarm when you wave at it is great but most of the gestures aren't any good and don't work well.

The build quality and materials are middling for an $800 device and the battery is a huge problem for the price tag.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
The way Google pitched radar is a gimmick. The quieting of the alarm when you wave at it is great but most of the gestures aren't any good and don't work well.

The build quality and materials are middling for an $800 device and the battery is a huge problem for the price tag.
It has a feature that currently is a bit gimmicky. That doesn't mean the phone is 'very gimmicky' as you say. Big difference between the two.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the build quality at all. It's a very solid device and feels good to use.

So really all you have is the battery being a problem on the 4. For the majority of people it's good enough on the 4XL.

Reactions: jamezr

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
It has a feature that currently is a bit gimmicky. That doesn't mean the phone is 'very gimmicky' as you say. Big difference between the two.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the build quality at all. It's a very solid device and feels good to use.

So really all you have is the battery being a problem on the 4. For the majority of people it's good enough on the 4XL.
Counterpoints:
One of the two marketable changes from the Pixel 3, an amazing device, is a gimmick

"Nothing wrong with the build quality" kind of proves my point

What good is a phone without a battery?

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Counterpoints:
One of the two marketable changes from the Pixel 3, an amazing device, is a gimmick

The Pixel 3 was an amazing device in your opinion, yet it had a really atrocious battery, lmao.

I agree that the Pixel 4 has an inadequate battery, but the battery on the 4 XL is more than fine. It has a larger battery than my new XS and I’m doing fine with this phone battery-wise. For most people, the 4 XL’s battery life is fine.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Counterpoints:

You're still talking rubbish. One feature does not dictate the phone as a whole.

Why bother cherry picking what I said about build quality if you're going to leave out the part about it being a solid device and great to use? The fact remains there is absolutely nothing wrong with the build quality.

But you'll just come back with more rubbish, so have fun talking to yourself.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Counterpoints:

Funny to watch someone jump ship like this. You once used to make the same counterpoints to people that made the same arguments you are making now....

My Pixel 4 XL battery gets me through the day just fine. It's not as great as my 11 pro max or Note 10+ mind you but it gets me through the day.

The build quality is just the same as my other phones the 11 pro max and note 10+

Reactions: michael9891

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Funny to watch someone jump ship like this. You once used to make the same counterpoints to people that made the same arguments you are making now....

My Pixel 4 XL battery gets me through the day just fine. It's not as great as my 11 pro max or Note 10+ mind you but it gets me through the day.

The build quality is just the same as my other phones the 11 pro max and note 10+
Pixel 2 and Pixel 3 were amazing devices. Pixel 4 is less than iterative.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Pixel 2 and Pixel 3 were amazing devices. Pixel 4 is less than iterative.
LOL...then the iPhone 11 is not iterative? :rolleyes:

Then we are all waiting to for you to explain more on this...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.