Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Pixel 2 & 3 were amazing devices, but Google decided to remove all the good hardware and software from those when releasing the Pixel 4? Is this comedy corner? ?

Adding a second rear camera & astrophotography mode was obviously a poor decision, they made the camera system worse. I’m still upset Google had the nerve to give the Pixel face unlock that works better & faster than Face ID. How dare they!

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
iPhone 11 Pro is certainly iterative. Like I said, Pixel 4 is less than iterative.
how so? The Pixel 4 has a better camera than the last model...adding a dual lens. Then it added Face Unlock which is faster and a better implementation of facial recognition than Apple's FaceID....
They added more ram and changed the size dimensions.
Your brand loyalty is really showing.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
how so? The Pixel 4 has a better camera than the last model...adding a dual lens. Then it added Face Unlock which is faster and a better implementation of facial recognition than Apple's FaceID....
You mean the face unlock which doesn't recognize attention?

Don't take it from me. The reviews have been substandard. Here's known Android aficionado Florence Ion's take

And for the 40th time, they screwed up the battery life on the $800 model.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
What a boring argument. What should be discussed is who is going to donate $900 to my “own 2 phones” club because I want the Pixel but don’t want to get rid of my 11 Pro.

Reactions: jamezr

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
What a boring argument. What should be discussed is who is going to donate $900 to my “own 2 phones” club because I want the Pixel but don’t want to get rid of my 11 Pro.
Yeah, @jamezr has an axe to grind, apparently.

For the first time ever, I would suggest getting the Samsung instead of the Pixel. Huge disappointment

Maybe the Pixel 5 will be good for when my wife is due for an upgrade.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
You mean the face unlock which doesn't recognize attention?

Don't take it from me. The reviews have been substandard. Here's known Android aficionado Florence Ion's take

And for the 40th time, they screwed up the battery life on the $800 model.
Funny..because if you google why upgrade to an iphone 11 you get a ton things like this....

We were hard-pressed to find features we couldn’t live without on the 11 — and surprised at how well the X has aged. Our takeaway: Anyone with an iPhone 7 (or older) will appreciate that the 11 shoots better photos in the dark, promises a longer battery life and has a larger screen. Otherwise, save your cash for next year, which will likely bring bigger changes like support for ultrafast 5G networks.

Last edited:

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I think the main thing that irritates me about the “Why would ANYONE buy the Pixel 4???” is that the sentiment is layered with privilege. Maybe because when the phone is on sale (such as it being $400 off on BF), it’s cheaper than even the iPhone 11. There really isn’t too much wrong with the P4. The people who I hear complaining the most often are iPhone 11/11 Pro users who have never even tried the phone and/or people who own more than one phone. Most people will be satisfied with the Pixel 4 XL.

If I didn’t get the iPhone XS recently as a gift, I would have purchased the Pixel 4 on BF because it’s what I can afford. And I would have been grateful just to have a phone.

Reactions: 5105973

ILowry82

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2014
The Pixel 4 face unlock is in no way any better than Face ID. Have you actually used both side by side? I own both phones and they both recognize my face at exactly the same time. Pixel 4 may feel faster because it unlocks itself straight to the home screen. I personally don't like that feature because my phone will unlock to the home screen on multiple occasions throughout the day when I don't want it to simply because I moved the phone. If I had to pick which one was better, it would be Face ID due to the amount of apps that utilize it for biometric security and the attention awareness feature. With the Pixel, the phone actually needs to be closer to your face to recognize it than the iPhone. It's a very significant difference as the iphone will recognize my face from a full arms length away. With the Pixel the phone can't be more than maybe 8-10 inches away. As for speed they are exactly the same.

Reactions: AustinIllini

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
2 reasons:
- cost of the iphone 11 Pro. I paid CAD$1500 for 64gb here in Canada
- Hey google - i find the voice commands are much better with android than Siri.
- Being a phone addict doesn't help either!!
If you already paid for the iPhone 11 Pro, the money is already gone. Are you going to return it? Or are you selling it? If you sell it, unless it is in the box and has never been used, you will not get the same amount of cash you bought it for, no matter how much value the iPhone retains.

So, you may not be actually saving money if you switch to the Pixel 4, even if it is a cheaper phone.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I wouldn't call Android bad software. Google Assistant understands me completely fine, Siri doesn't. Android Auto in my opinion is better since it doesn't force me to use Google Maps on the main dash and I'm being forced to use Apple Maps to use main dash (correct my if I'm wrong, I just switched back to the iPhone). Coming from Android to iOS was easy because I find they are pretty much on the same level unlike back in 2011 when I went from iPhone 4 to HTC Aria and I hated Froyo.

I hated Android until I tried Nexus 5 and that is the phone that made me switch until iPhone 11 Pro came out. It's not Android's fault that Apple competitors don't make their phones last like Apple does.
Yes. Android is good software. What is bad is the poor hardware many manufacturers offer, and the poor implementations of Android.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The Pixel 4 face unlock is in no way any better than Face ID. Have you actually used both side by side? I own both phones and they both recognize my face at exactly the same time. Pixel 4 may feel faster because it unlocks itself straight to the home screen. I personally don't like that feature because my phone will unlock to the home screen on multiple occasions throughout the day when I don't want it to simply because I moved the phone. If I had to pick which one was better, it would be Face ID due to the amount of apps that utilize it for biometric security and the attention awareness feature. With the Pixel, the phone actually needs to be closer to your face to recognize it than the iPhone. It's a very significant difference as the iphone will recognize my face from a full arms length away. With the Pixel the phone can't be more than maybe 8-10 inches away. As for speed they are exactly the same.
I have both phones so yes! Face Unlock is faster and quicker and gets me to my home screen. No extra swiping involved. In my uses it is faster than my 11 pro max.

The bad things is most banking apps have not been updated for it. But that will come with time.

ILowry82

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2014
I have both phones so yes! Face Unlock is faster and quicker and gets me to my home screen. No extra swiping involved. In my uses it is faster than my 11 pro max.

The bad things is most banking apps have not been updated for it. But that will come with time.
I'm talking about in terms of recognizing your face. Not about having to swipe up. You're telling me it recognizes your face faster? They are literally the same speed. Unlocking straight to the home screen would be a nice option but not for everyone. I personally don't like it because I get a lot of unintentional unlocks. However that doesn't make it faster

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'm talking about in terms of recognizing your face. Not about having to swipe up. You're telling me it recognizes your face faster? They are literally the same speed. Unlocking straight to the home screen would be a nice option but not for everyone. I personally don't like it because I get a lot of unintentional unlocks. However that doesn't make it faster
I have both phones and the Pixel 4 XL with Face Unlock is faster at reading my face and unlocking my phone and getting me to to my home screen so I can use my phone.

That is the whole purpose is it not? I think Face Unlock is a better implementation than FaceID.
I wish FaceID took me straight to my homescreen.

Reactions: mjschabow

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
That is the whole purpose is it not? I think Face Unlock is a better implementation than the FaceID.
I wish FaceID took me straight to my homescreen.
That's terrible usability. The way iPhone does it just makes more sense. Your notifications are shown but private. When your face is recognized the information populates. During this time, you can swipe up to skip whenever.

Reactions: Sikh

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
That's terrible usability. The way iPhone does it just makes more sense. Your notifications are shown but private. When your face is recognized the information populates. During this time, you can swipe up to skip whenever.

I will say that if I were to ever get the Pixel 4, I would turn on the setting that forces me to swipe after face unlock. I wouldn’t want it to bypass the Lock Screen without my permission.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I disagree...with AOD...the Pixel displays notifications so much better than the 11pro max.
I look at the iphone and get a blank stare. I look at my pixel and get the time date and notification icons and battery percentage.
All of that information is available on my homescreen with having to touch my phone.
Notifications are better on the Pixel than on IOS. they just are.....

Then if you do not want to have the full message displayed you can turn that off in the setting on the Pixel.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I will say that if I were to ever get the Pixel 4, I would turn on the setting that forces me to swipe after face unlock. I wouldn’t want it to bypass the Lock Screen without my permission.
great...that is your preference. I prefer it to open my phone...that is my preference.

But the beautiful thing about the Pixel is....you have a CHOICE!

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
great...that is your preference. I prefer it to open my phone...that is my preference.

But the beautiful thing about the Pixel is....you have a CHOICE!

Yep. See my post 2 below that. I’m not saying either is right or wrong.

Reactions: jamezr

ILowry82

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2014
My pixel accidentally unlocks an average of 10 times per day with bypass lock screen turned on. It got really annoying so I turned it off

Reactions: Sikh and jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
My pixel accidentally unlocks an average of 10 times per day with bypass lock screen turned on. It got really annoying so I turned it off
But you have that choice......I want to do the opposite with my 11 pro max...but I can't

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Ahh first world problems with the way two current gen devices unlock using your face. :p
This, on a Pixel 4, which don’t forget is severely lacking hardware wise. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.