Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aljskfd

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2019
Here’s my iPhone X side by side with the 11Pro both on max brightness showing the same thing. They 11Pro (on the right) definitely has a weird color balance - yellowish red and not white. I compared them both to the latest iPad Pro and the iPad is much closer to the X’s color balance. Not sure what the deal is - might return or check out a couple display models to see if this is product-wide.
[automerge]1569261553[/automerge]
Here’s my iPhone X side by side with the 11Pro both on max brightness showing the same thing. They 11Pro (on the right) definitely has a weird color balance - yellowish red and not white. I compared them both to the latest iPad Pro and the iPad is much closer to the X’s color balance. Not sure what the deal is - might return or check out a couple display models to see if this is product-wide.

And yes, True Tone is off.

Attachments

• ACA1E365-00ED-4B34-979A-427A265FF974.jpeg
    ACA1E365-00ED-4B34-979A-427A265FF974.jpeg
    747.4 KB · Views: 2,402

Tibits

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
If we are tech-savvy enough to get the phone on launch day and visit MacRumors with our comments the same day I think we have all tried turning off True Tone... thanks for the solid advice. Bottom line the screen is dramatically darker than previous models. I can't use my phone outdoors, its too dark.

Except for the fact that for the past 3 years since True Tone was introduced, many posters have come on here to open a vein and scream about screen "issues" with their new devices that could simply be resolved by turning off true tone.

As for your phone. If you have tried all the checks and fixes tech-savvy posters would know, I'd definitely swap it out for a new unit. My 11 Pro screen is just fine for use outdoors under bright conditions.

RangerDoug

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2019
So....are the first batch of iPhone 11's trash and should be returned or is this just people over reacting to True Tone?

Reactions: Stalyn

rhodesy22

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2015
In the same boat. I don’t mind the warmer colour on whites but it does make everything feel less bright. Annoyingly you can reduce the white point but not increase it.

iPhone Pro 11 looks equal in brightness to my XS Max if I reduce the white point by 25%.

rhodesy22

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2015
Found a solution.

turn off auto brightness in accessibility. Even when you’re at max brightness the screen will slowly get brighter...it’s now brighter than my XS Max (which already had this disabled)

mountainmystic1

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2019
iPhone 11 Pro. Also seeing yellow tint. If phone is tilted down 5% and right 5% whites are bright. From head on they are yellow. True tone off. Night shift off. Auto-brightness off. Reduce white point off. Its still there. Went to Best Buy and they noticed it right away. Replacements screens are not available yet they said. Should I return or is this the norm for this super retina xdr screen?

Last edited:

RangerDoug

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2019
I finally got around to setting up my 11 pro and I noticed the warmer tone to the screen. I think they did that on purpose. I don't think it's a defect.

mountainmystic1

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2019
I think they did it on purpose. If I turn off Truetone and nightshift the screen on my 11Pro is as cold and blue as the one on my ancient IpodTouch.
Not seeing that at all on my 11 pro. Went to two different stores. Seeing different amount of yellow tint on display models. Pro 11 max didn’t show it. Some 11 pros did. Idk. It’s driving me nuts.

mountainmystic1

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2019
iOS 13.1 introduces a new Hue slider under intensity. This helps reduce the yellow significantly.

Attachments

• 611F6C34-666A-4398-9B61-BAB9E42CA189.png
    611F6C34-666A-4398-9B61-BAB9E42CA189.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 340

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
iOS 13.1 introduces a new Hue slider under intensity. This helps reduce the yellow significantly.

That's always been there. That's the slider to choose which horrible color filter you want to apply over the entire screen, ruining all other colors in the pursuit of getting something not yellow.

And honestly, even the lightest intensity trying to find the most neutral point in Color Filters is way too strong and goes far beyond any perceived correction you would seek, IMO.

Jim McN

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2017
If you look at the last video from Zollotech (very good YT channel BTW), at some points he is showing side by side an iPhone X and the iPhone 11 Pro Max, and his Pro Max looks a bit cooler/whiter than the iPhone X.

mountainmystic1

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2019
That's always been there. That's the slider to choose which horrible color filter you want to apply over the entire screen, ruining all other colors in the pursuit of getting something not yellow.

And honestly, even the lightest intensity trying to find the most neutral point in Color Filters is way too strong and goes far beyond any perceived correction you would seek, IMO.

The color filter setting is there in ios 13.0 and so is the intensity slider. However in 13.1 it adds a hue slider which does seem to shift the colors and i can now make the whites 'look' more blue than yellow. I do agree that it does change some of the other colors (skin tone etc become more pink now). Its not perfect by any means.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
If we are tech-savvy enough to get the phone on launch day and visit MacRumors with our comments the same day I think we have all tried turning off True Tone... thanks for the solid advice. Bottom line the screen is dramatically darker than previous models. I can't use my phone outdoors, its too dark.
Are you tech savvy enough to return it? The specifications show the screen is brighter than the XS models so if it's not take it back.

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
The color filter setting is there in ios 13.0 and so is the intensity slider. However in 13.1 it adds a hue slider which does seem to shift the colors and i can now make the whites 'look' more blue than yellow. I do agree that it does change some of the other colors (skin tone etc become more pink now). Its not perfect by any means.

They must've accidentally taken out the hue slider in 13.0 then, because the hue slider was there in prior iOS versions (believe me I've tried to play with it many times in the past); it's the only way to actually change the color if you don't select one of the colorblind/etc. filters above the color tint selection.

Agreed though, it sucks and is no substitution for a white point control.

Reactions: mountainmystic1

Stephaneslb

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2019
There is definitely a problem with there screens, when comparing my X to my 11 PRO, my 11PRO is much more yellower than the X. Really noticable. I will head back to the store look at the other models and then see if I should ask for a replacement or not... just horrible colors...

Reactions: Openworld1234

RangerDoug

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2019
I just got back from the apple store. I compared my 11 pro to all the display models, pro and pro max, all of them had a cooler temperature than my phone. All the phones had True Tone turned off. I made a genius appointment for next week to switch my phone. I'll make sure to test the new phone in store before I accept it.

Reactions: Openworld1234

StatFlow

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2011
Found a solution.

turn off auto brightness in accessibility. Even when you’re at max brightness the screen will slowly get brighter...it’s now brighter than my XS Max (which already had this disabled)
Had to log in just to say that THIS was the solution. I noticed this because my 11 Pro max was brighter than my fiancé’s 11 pro and I was trying to figure out which setting was different.

Turns out that there’s a “auto brightness” toggle in both general “display& brightness” as well as accessibility and turning them both off on her 11 Pro made both our screens the same level of excellent max brightness. Especially important in the sun. Thank you!

cbruno4444

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2019
Hi guys - I registered on the forum just to reply to this topic. I too received my 11 Pro and immediately noticed the very warm white balance, and overall yellowish hue on the screen. I promptly went to the local apple store to compare to other 11 Pros and realized that my screen was SLIGHTLY warmer than the floor models (my bro said I was crazy they were the same), but SIGNIFICANTLY brighter and sharper, with all settings equal.

My OCD not satisfied, I broke out an old colorimeter that I use to color calibrate my monitors and generate color profiles. Using a pure white (255,255,255) target on each device, I tested my new 11 Pro, my old iPhone 7, and my Macbook Pro. The standard in the graphics and print industry is 6500K at pure white - this is what almost all professional print, broadcast, photo, and graphics pros strive for. The results were surprising: Macbook was slightly cooler at ~6770K, old iPhone 7 was a nuclear 8900K, and the new 11 Pro was nearly SPOT ON at 6553K!

I think the take home message here is that our brains have been conditioned to perceive very cool colors as "vibrant" or "clearer" even though it's definitely not industry standard. Results attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 11.32.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 11.32.04 PM.png
    170.3 KB · Views: 326

RangerDoug

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2019
I actually exchanged my iPhone 11 pro for a new one today. It looked fine enough in store, but when I got home it looked yellow again. I'm giving up.

mountainmystic1

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2019
Took my 11 Pro back yesterday and very glad I kept my old 8 and didn't trade it in. Going to stick with that for a few months till all this settles down. Just couldn't believe that a device that was claimed to be the best display in a mobile device ever looked so bad. Certainly seems im not the only one seeing this.

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
I gotta say whenever I return and inevitably buy mid cycle, the process is always a bit better top to bottom...Restoring it, screen / cosmetic issues, if any, and the obvious availablity....

Reactions: Bstephens

RangerDoug

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2019
UPDATE: My new device I reviewed today now gets warm doing anything and the battery drains very fast. ****ing apple. I'm going to give it tomorrow and see if it sorts itself out, if not it's being returned and I'm not buying another iPhone until December. Maybe they'll have their **** together by then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.