Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Wolf

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2014
Anyone have this yet? I'd like to start making wallpapers so I can just load them once I get the phone and not have to wait. Sorry if this thread has already been made.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
For the iPhone 6 - 750 x 1334.
For the iPhone 6 Plus - 1080 x 1920.

Have not read any confirmed sizes for parallax.

Last edited:

Damian.

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009
The iPhone 6 Plus rotates like the iPad so the correct resolution is 2208 x 2208. [edit]

Example:

1gkbIeg.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: PhillyGuy72

highlightshadow

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Seeing a few people on twitter (who i trusts) suggesting wallpapers should be 2208x1242 for the 6+

Maybe for a parallax?

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
Something seems fishy. Every single square ratio'd image I use at 2208px or over, doesn't work properly when rotating my 6+. Instead of *just* displaying a horizontal section, it also zooms in.

This is counter to Apple's built-in wallpapers, which *don't* zoom.

Seems like there's something we're missing.

Mansu944

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
Something seems fishy. Every single square ratio'd image I use at 2208px or over, doesn't work properly when rotating my 6+. Instead of *just* displaying a horizontal section, it also zooms in.

I agree. I don't understand what's happening.

Last edited:

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia

We need to pull the stock  wallpapers somehow and check the size and detail then. That will tell us a lot. Normally we can do that from an iPhone data extractor app, but not sure if any is updated for iOS 8 and iPhone 6 & 6+. Another way is to pull the images from the iPhone 6+ firmware.

Judging from what you say, it seems a square 2208 size may not be the right size for both portrait/landscape orientation since it still zooms in.

ryanbowlin

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
I've read elsewhere that the correct resolution is 2662 x 2662.

I just edited a bunch of super hires wallpapers ( 4096x3072) to fit this size and they still appear slightly fuzzy on my iPhone 6 Plus. While Apple's images still seem sharp and crisp. So I'm still not sure we've hit the proper resolution.

EDIT:

I also read this and tried it....

"I want to get the record straight on the 6 Plus. The screen resolution is 1920 by 1080, but it sounds like the *optimal* resolution is 2208 by 1242. It sounds like what happens if you have an image at 1920 by 1080 is that the software blows it up to 2208 by 1242 to render it and then shrinks it back down to 1920 by 1080 to display it. So, should we all by looking for wallpaper images at resolution 2208 by 1242?"

I made a same wallpaper using the same image and using this resolution it was slightly less blurry and more crisp. But this resolution doesn't take into account the landscape mode. So when you flip it the image zooms in where Apple's actually just rotates.

Last edited:
Reactions: gewawd

ryanbowlin

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
I tried that as well. Still blurry. And it zooms in when you turn it over to landscape mode. Which it doesn't do with Apple's images.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
DPI doesn't matter when producing things that aren't going to be printed.

http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2010/02/the-myth-of-dpi/

Good article, but not entirely accurate. DPI DOES matter, even with the web. There a huge difference between resizing, and resampling. One will give you the same resolution, one will destroy your image quality.

You should ALWAYS create the image to your ACTUAL size, and the ACTUAL DPI your device uses for optimal quality. If you start with a low DPI and try to upscale to fit the larger canvas, it will pixelate. Always start with the best you possible can, to size.

jwhazel

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
Good article, but not entirely accurate. DPI DOES matter, even with the web. There a huge difference between resizing, and resampling. One will give you the same resolution, one will destroy your image quality.

You should ALWAYS create the image to your ACTUAL size, and the ACTUAL DPI your device uses for optimal quality. If you start with a low DPI and try to upscale to fit the larger canvas, it will pixelate. Always start with the best you possible can, to size.

No, entirely accurate. Dpi doesn't matter for the web because images displayed on a screen are measured in raw pixel dimensions, not relative to inches. Dpi is for print only.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
No, entirely accurate. Dpi doesn't matter for the web because images displayed on a screen are measured in raw pixel dimensions, not relative to inches. Dpi is for print only.

Posting on the web and creating a image for a HD wallpaper for your Screen are two entirely different things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.