Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shybrenn

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2013
Australia
Alright, so i dug deeper into this mystery and extracted 2 of the apple wallpapers from my 6+

Sorry that this is so late, but I don't know nay of this works, the python code and all that. I really want this wallpaper exported. Could you either do it for me or tell me to use the python code you posted?

Thanks.
IMG_0442.PNG

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Create a wallpaper with a small object in the middle of that resolution.
1) If the size was natively supported, the wallpaper would center itself and you wouldn't need to move it around. What you should find is that the image is not in the middle, but you're looking at the upper right of it. Having to move it around means that there's no way to create a pixel perfect wallpaper that will display on everyone's phone the same way.
2) Even if you manually place the wallpaper where you want it, when you rotate the phone to landscape orientation, instead of the image simply rotating, the phone will zoom in. Apple's own wallpapers just rotate with no zooming, that's what everyones looking for.

For now the two resolutions to know about for iPhone 6 Plus are:

1242 x 2208 - Native resolution. Yes the screen is 1080, but if you create a wallpaper at 1080, the iPhone scales it up before displaying. So, you get that rescaling, then the rescaling for displaying that image. Best to just do it at the native resolution so that there's only one scaling happening.

1398 x 2592 - Parallax supported resolution.
If you have Parallax turned on, when you try to set an image that has this resolution, you won't have to move it on that screen, just set it and everything should line up fine. I got the number from wallpaper.sc BUT have done some testing on my own templates and it works just like I'd want it to. I can even draw a rectangle of 1242 x 2208 on top of a black background of this resolution and the edges of the rectangle perfectly wrap around the screen.

Still waiting on being able to rotate a square wallpaper that doesn't zoom in, though. Wallpaper.sc has posted 2592 x 2592 images, but they don't line up like I'd expect.

Unfortunately, this is still true for iOS 8.2. Square wallpapers still zoom in when rotated :(

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Has anyone solved the wallpaper zoom issue yet? I just got an iPhone 6 Plus and made a new 2592 x 2592 wallpaper, but the zoom-on-rotation "feature" is still there in iOS 8.3.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Has anyone solved the wallpaper zoom issue yet? I just got an iPhone 6 Plus and made a new 2592 x 2592 wallpaper, but the zoom-on-rotation "feature" is still there in iOS 8.3.
It's a system-level thing—only the Apple-provided wallpapers don't zoom, even with a perfectly square image. It's still present in iOS 9.0 beta 1.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
6 Plus wallpaper-positioning bugs remain as of iOS 9.0.1:

- Make a square wallpaper and it is not shown centered, but shoved to the right (you can manually eyeball it back top center)

- When rotated to landscape, it also zooms way in and loses detail rather than just rotating at the same scale, as a square image ought to do (and does on iPad)

apple.com/feedback

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
I recently upgraded from a 6 to a 6s+, and noticed this annoying "zoom-in" for custom wallpapers in landscape mode. I guess it's not a new "feature" of iOS 9, just an old bug from iOS 8 that's never been fixed.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I recently upgraded from a 6 to a 6s+, and noticed this annoying "zoom-in" for custom wallpapers in landscape mode. I guess it's not a new "feature" of iOS 9, just an old bug from iOS 8 that's never been fixed.

You are correct. Does not seem to be on Apple's radar. I believe it is not going to be corrected either, but I could be wrong.

jquest68

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2016
Georgia
I have a question regarding the wallpapers. I made a wallpaper already but would like to make that same wallpaper to fit the small screen of the iphone or ipad. If I put the png file on screen in PSCS6 how can I make that adjustment to size?

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Three years late but finally!

This is my first take at the square dimensioned wallpaper template. One great thing is that you don’t need one size for parallax and a separate size for still. The same square will work for both.

Attachments

• 5BB13E12-1CA7-4D35-B476-52B67E4069D7.png
    5BB13E12-1CA7-4D35-B476-52B67E4069D7.png
    183.3 KB · Views: 689

macteam6

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2012
No, entirely accurate. Dpi doesn't matter for the web because images displayed on a screen are measured in raw pixel dimensions, not relative to inches. Dpi is for print only.
[doublepost=1542077538][/doublepost]The measurement — DPI (dots per inch), as mentioned previously — does indeed represent the number of dots per inch as printed. DPI is what many people inadvertently use when they actually mean PPI, or pixels-per-inch.

While DPI and PPI are not interchangeable, that many are confused is understandable. Brand name display monitor manufacturers mistakenly (purposely?) advertise screen resolutions in DPI, instead of the accurate PPI. Making matters worse? Apple, Microsoft and Adobe, makers of the ubiquitous de facto pro image editor, Photoshop, have had a historically been guilty of confusing DPI and PPI resolutions.

In a nutshell: If an iPhone screen (or any other square-pixel screen) were to feature a 500 PPI (pixels-per-inch) display, then an image 500 pixels tall and 500 pixels wide would measure 1 square inch — as long as the image is viewed on a 500 PPI display.

Last edited:

macteam6

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2012
For the iPhone 6 - 750 x 1334.
For the iPhone 6 Plus - 1080 x 1920.

Have not read any confirmed sizes for parallax.
I have had the best luck using images cropped and downsampled to a resolution of 2662 PPI x 2662 PPI (pixels-per-inch).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.