Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2019
When I call someone from my iPhone 7 Plus it just says wireless caller on the recipients caller Id instead of my name. My android phone always caused my name to display. Is this normal?

eyet

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2019
When I call someone from my iPhone 7 Plus it just says wireless caller on the recipients caller Id instead of my name. My android phone always caused my name to display. Is this normal?

That’s determined by your carrier and settings on your account. For instance, Verizon allows setting pretty much any name you want for your outbound caller ID name. They call the feature “Share Name ID”. Other carriers probably have something similar.

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2019
That’s determined by your carrier and settings on your account. For instance, Verizon allows setting pretty much any name you want for your outbound caller ID name. They call the feature “Share Name ID”. Other carriers probably have something similar.

Same accounts with both phones. Galaxy phone showed name but this one doesn’t. Not a huge deal really just curious.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Same accounts with both phones. Galaxy phone showed name but this one doesn’t. Not a huge deal really just curious.

On sprint, each phone is assigned a name. I can log into my account details and change it. I’d guess that your carrier has something similar. Perhaps the galaxy line was your original line and for set up with your name and the iPhone was added later so it got the generic wireless caller moniker. That’s what happened on my account but I was able to go in and change it from their website.

eyet

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2019

If you log into your My Account page, choose Devices, and Manage Device, you should see a Manage Share Name ID option. You’ll probably find that the “Wireless Caller” option is selected.

It says Share Name ID works for for mobile phones with their Call Filter app, but mine also shows up when I call a landline or any line able to receive Caller ID names.

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2019
I found the option and typed my name in there. Will see if that fixes it. Than you very much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.