Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krishmk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
Battery life reports I have wear life 0% with 1960/1960 mah.
But coconut battery reports 1940/1960, it puts it around 1% with 44 Load cycles.

What say your iPhone 7 on Battery life vs Coconut battery?

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
The only reason to check that wear level is when your device is old (600+ cycles) or when it shuts down suddenly. Otherwise it's not worth using.

Apple tests may have also different results (check forum for proper thread ).

Your level is as it should be. SE with 133 cycles have 5% wear. But to be honest I don't believe it at all. All I check is current when charging (100% is real 95% at start ) and battery temperature (thanks Apple for turning off device when it's cold... )

SE iOS 9.3.5

Last edited:
Reactions: Sunny1990

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Pretty sure that Battery Life is no longer able to read data accurately in iOS 10. IIRC, the developer himself posted that here.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Battery life is no longer accurate and only displays to the nearest 100. Battery life will not update until its at 1900. Coconut is 100% accurate.

My launch day 7Plus with 98 cycles is 2955/2900. 102%~

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
Battery life is no longer accurate and only displays to the nearest 100. Battery life will not update until its at 1900. Coconut is 100% accurate.

What is the current advice for treating the battery kindly? Full charges? No discharges? Charging between 20-90%?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
What is the current advice for treating the battery kindly? Full charges? No discharges? Charging between 20-90%?

I never let the battery drop below 20% unless an emergency. I never unplug the battery unless it's fully charged. So I won't plug in for 20 minutes then unplug. I also don't constantly keep my phone at 100% I use the battery. I also make sure not to let it overheat or get too cold. I'm very particular about my battery health but it is clearly paying off. 4 months and still over 100%.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States

I think the whole battery cycles alittle obsessive. Like I mean what's the point of knowing th
Don't get into this rabbit hole. Keep your sanity.
im with this guy just charge my up overnight if it's below 50% and that's that I do agreee that charging throughout day is bad though

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I think the whole battery cycles alittle obsessive. Like I mean what's the point of knowing th

im with this guy just charge my up overnight if it's below 50% and that's that I do agreee that charging throughout day is bad though

The point of knowing is to see if you have a defective battery, if you need to change your charging habits and so on. If you start losing health at a low cycle count it could be battery related or your behavior related. In the long run not taking care of your battery can cost you.
[doublepost=1482707838][/doublepost]

There is nothing wrong with checking once in a while to verify your battery is not degrading too quickly.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
The point of knowing is to see if you have a defective battery, if you need to change your charging habits and so on. If you start losing health at a low cycle count it could be battery related or your behavior related. In the long run not taking care of your battery can cost you.
[doublepost=1482707838][/doublepost]

There is nothing wrong with checking once in a while to verify your battery is not degrading too quickly.
Maybe once a year

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Maybe once a year

Once a year? Not a chance. A battery can fail in less than a week. I had a battery at 101% capacity one day and 5 days later it was 61% and failed. Got a free replacement from Apple under warranty. People should check at least a month especially when warranty is about to expire.

Reactions: LA_LEE

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
I never let the battery drop below 20% unless an emergency. I never unplug the battery unless it's fully charged. So I won't plug in for 20 minutes then unplug. I also don't constantly keep my phone at 100% I use the battery. I also make sure not to let it overheat or get too cold. I'm very particular about my battery health but it is clearly paying off. 4 months and still over 100%.

I see so many differing opinions on best use for lithium ion batteries.. where is this advice from?
[doublepost=1482732710][/doublepost]

Generally I don't bother too much with it but it doesn't hurt to charge 'correctly' when possible
[doublepost=1482732868][/doublepost]

Also is leaving your phone connected to a charger long after it has fully charged something to avoid. Eg charging overnight?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I see so many differing opinions on best use for lithium ion batteries.. where is this advice from?

Generally I don't bother too much with it but it doesn't hurt to charge 'correctly' when possible

Also is leaving your phone connected to a charger long after it has fully charged something to avoid. Eg charging overnight?
The phone charges as it needs to and stops when it doesn't need to. Plugging it overnight won't do anything bad to it or anything like that. Avoid the extremes as much as you reasonably can (without going out of your way too much essentially) and don't worry much beyond that.

Last edited:
Reactions: stooovie

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom

I've done abit of reading up on the best way to look after lithium ion batteries in phones. Firstly it's better not to let them discharge too much often, secondly charging them over night isnt a problem, the phone won't over charge it. Thirdly extreme heat or extreme cold is not good for them.
If you charge your phone fully over night and it's on about 30/40% at the end of the day when you put it back on charge that's good enough battery care generally as long as you don't expose it too extreme temperature conditions particularly while charging.
Letting it drain down to 1% occasionally should not really cause any harm (in fact it can help when firmware issues are Causing early shutdown before the batteries fully drained) but it's better for the battery not to do this all of the time
Or too often. Cheers
[doublepost=1482734022][/doublepost]
The phone charges as it needs to and stops when it doesn't need to. Plugging it overnight won't do anything bad to it or anything like that. Avoid the extremes as much as you can and don't worry much beyond that.
Or simply put ..this^

Reactions: stooovie

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

Batteries are not 100% a science so there are a lot of different opinions about them. I have stuck to the same behavior for almost a decade now and have only had one battery not make it to the 'minimum' charge life (other than defective batteries). My MBA 2012 is currently sitting at 82% health with 1075 charges. Its rated for 80% @ 1000 cycles. My advice has come from members here, Apple directly and other tech sites that understand Lithium ion batteries.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-tips-for-extending-lithium-ion-battery-life/
http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-get-the-most-from-li-ion-batteries/
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/a15731/best-way-to-keep-li-ion-batteries-charged/

The biggest thing is temperature, stress and not letting it fully discharge. Avoid hot or cold temperatures, don't fully charge then fully discharge or vice versa and if at all possible, never let it completely die.

I leave my phone plugged in overnight most nights. iOS/macOS devices stop charge once the battery is full and begin to discharge. Once the battery has reached 94.9% it will begin to recharge to 100% and do the same thing again. Depending on how much you have running on your device, it probably won't even reach 94.9% and begin to recharge. That is why sometimes in the morning when you plug it immediately drops to 99%; it was in the middle of the discharge cycle.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
I have occasionally fully charged and discharged to recalibrate the battery but it's not something I do often. This stuff doesn't hurt to know but I haven't ever had any major battery issues

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010

Absolutely do charge correctly. I was referring to adding another obsession to our iPhone habits - checking battery health. That's just not healthy and productive.

Reactions: Madonnnaaaaaaaaa

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
Anyboy done a battery test on a replacement iPhone (remanufactured)? Do Apple use new batteries for them or are they just healthy batteries?

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
I take it a cycle is just 100% of use no matter where it happens on the battery span? Eg 100-40% and then 80-40% is one cycle

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
One more question (thanks for your answers) -
When my phone is plugged into a charger and it warms up, what is going on and how can it be avoided? Should I unplug or ..?

Warm is okay. If it gets hot to the touch then I would unplug it. Let if cool off before resume charging. I try to avoid heavy game play while charging as that increases heat.

Reactions: deany
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.