Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which should I do?

• Total voters

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Hello,

this is my first post. I just bought a 128gb iPhone 8 with plans to send my iPhone 7 back to Apple for a $150 refund, along with the $50 Black Friday weekend gift certificate deal. So the phone was 499 but I’m getting 200 back.

My reason for upgrading is the 32 gigs in iPhone 7 isn’t enough anymore, and the battery life is bad. My reason for going with the 8 is, I don’t like the notch (main reason - I’d probably buy the first new Apple phone with no notch. I hate it) also I like Touch ID, and I don’t like spending so much money on a phone, even if I can afford it. I like the iPhone 8 a lot. It’s the perfect size as well.

but today I started reading about the iPhone SE2 that is supposed to come out in a few months. This will bother me a little bit especially if the price goes down from what I paid for the 8.

should I:

a) return the iPhone 8, keep my iPhone 7 for a few more months and then hope Apple still offers me $150 for it when I’m buying the SE2?

or

b) get the $150 for my iPhone 7 now and trade in the 8 in a few months for the SE2?

my concerns are that maybe they won’t offer as much or anything for the iPhone 7 at that time, or that if I keep the 8 it won’t last as long as the upgraded se2 in terms of software updates and everything. I plan to keep this next phone for a long time.

Thanks for your input!

TimothyL

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2019
I’d keep the 8 as the SE2 is just a guess. It will probably still have big bezels if there is one and not have all the features of the new ones now

Reactions: Freakonomics101

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Your plan b) sounds good to me - use your new 8 (fresh battery, etc.) and return 7 ASAP (its price will go down steady the more time passes). If/when iPhone SE2/9 or whatever they call it is released and you like it, just trade in your 8 which will be several months old and it should still fetch around 200$ that you can take off the new phone’s price. Considering your 200$ rebates you are getting now, you will essentially be using your iPhone 8 for almost nothing for a few months.

Reactions: Camarillo Brillo

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
Hello,

this is my first post. I just bought a 128gb iPhone 8 with plans to send my iPhone 7 back to Apple for a $150 refund, along with the $50 Black Friday weekend gift certificate deal. So the phone was 499 but I’m getting 200 back.

My reason for upgrading is the 32 gigs in iPhone 7 isn’t enough anymore, and the battery life is bad. My reason for going with the 8 is, I don’t like the notch (main reason - I’d probably buy the first new Apple phone with no notch. I hate it) also I like Touch ID, and I don’t like spending so much money on a phone, even if I can afford it. I like the iPhone 8 a lot. It’s the perfect size as well.

but today I started reading about the iPhone SE2 that is supposed to come out in a few months. This will bother me a little bit especially if the price goes down from what I paid for the 8.

should I:

a) return the iPhone 8, keep my iPhone 7 for a few more months and then hope Apple still offers me $150 for it when I’m buying the SE2?

or

b) get the $150 for my iPhone 7 now and trade in the 8 in a few months for the SE2?

my concerns are that maybe they won’t offer as much or anything for the iPhone 7 at that time, or that if I keep the 8 it won’t last as long as the upgraded se2 in terms of software updates and everything. I plan to keep this next phone for a long time.

Thanks for your input!

hi
i would definitely continue to use the 7.
it sounds like you can put up with the bad battery life for a few months longer.
the iPhone 9 that will be launched around end March to end April 2020 will (most likely) have:
- totally better performance specs
- you will be able to continue to use it for about 4 years after launch
- the iPhone 7 will have only about 2 more years (the next device that will probably not be supported from Sept 2020 is the iPhone 6s; then probably from Sept 2021 the iPhone 7 probably won't be supported)

don't get me wrong: you didn't do anything odd by wanting to get the 8. its a nice device.
but the iPhone 9 that will come out in just a few months is a newly spec'ed out iPhone 8, and will reportedly cost around the same as the iPhone 8.

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Thanks everyone. I’m most likely going to upgrade to the se2 either way, as long as it’s shaped like an iPhone 8, has internal improvements, and the price is what it’s supposed to be.

I guess the real question is, will my iPhone 7 be worth anything to Apple as a trade in when se2 comes out, or am I better off sticking with the iPhone 8 I already got and trading it in for the se2.

im starting to think that on the off chance that Apple doesn’t release the se2 until closer to the end of 2020, or that it is another notch design, I’ll be glad I swapped out for the 8 while I still could.

For example - right now I got 200 back between the $50 gift card and the 7 trade in. So I paid basically 300 for the 8. Then let’s say Apple gives me 200 back for the 8 when I go to upgrade again. If the se2 is 399 I’ll be getting it for 199.

Or, let’s say I return the 8, keep the 7 until se2 comes out. Then maybe Apple only offers $100 instead of $150, and the $50 gift card is obviously gone. If se2 is 399, I’m getting it for 299. But I also didn’t lose $100 on the iPhone 8 so it’s basically a wash.

its starting to make sense to just stick with the 8 for the time being.

Last edited:

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks everyone. I’m most likely going to upgrade to the se2 either way, as long as it’s shaped like an iPhone 8, has internal improvements, and the price is what it’s supposed to be.

I guess the real question is, will my iPhone 7 be worth anything to Apple as a trade in when se2 comes out, or am I better off sticking with the iPhone 8 I already got and trading it in for the se2.

im starting to think that on the off chance that Apple doesn’t release the se2 until closer to the end of 2020, or that it is another notch design, I’ll be glad I swapped out for the 8 while I still could.

For example - right now I got 200 back between the $50 gift card and the 7 trade in. So I paid basically 300 for the 8. Then let’s say Apple gives me 200 back for the 8 when I go to upgrade again. If the se2 is 399 I’ll be getting it for 199.

Or, let’s say I return the 8, keep the 7 until se2 comes out. Then maybe Apple only offers $100 instead of $150, and the $50 gift card is obviously gone. If se2 is 399, I’m getting it for 299. But I also didn’t lose $100 on the iPhone 8 so it’s basically a wash.

SE2 is coming. There is a 1% chance Apple will change plans last minute, but barring that, it’s coming sometime in Q1/Q2 next year.

But I would still go with the 8. The SE2 isn’t as big as upgrade as you’re making it out to be. You need a phone now. Buy it.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The 7 is a ticking time bomb. Unload it ASAP before the audio IC circuit goes belly up. When that happens I'll be worth nothing. Trade it in now.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Your plan b) sounds good to me - use your new 8 (fresh battery, etc.) and return 7 ASAP (its price will go down steady the more time passes). If/when iPhone SE2/9 or whatever they call it is released and you like it, just trade in your 8 which will be several months old and it should still fetch around 200$ that you can take off the new phone’s price. Considering your 200$ rebates you are getting now, you will essentially be using your iPhone 8 for almost nothing for a few months.
That math doesn’t work out for me, how is it next to nothing, 500-200=300

when se2 comes out in a few month(confirmed by multi sources) op will lose 100 bucks if the iPhone8 value is gonna be 200.

op, if you can stomach ur 7 for couple more months I would wait, ur 7 value is not gonna drop that much lower in couple months
Also plenty of pretty good pre owned iPhone 8 on swappa for 300-370 price range. If you buy used you can keep ur 7 while getting a 8 for the same price

Reactions: jpn

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
I think the improved camera, performance, another 4-5 years of support from Apple is worth the wait for the rumored price.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I think the improved camera, performance, another 4-5 years of support from Apple is worth the wait for the rumored price.
That math doesn’t work out for me, how is it next to nothing, 500-200=300

when se2 comes out in a few month(confirmed by multi sources) op will lose 100 bucks if the iPhone8 value is gonna be 200.

op, if you can stomach ur 7 for couple more months I would wait, ur 7 value is not gonna drop that much lower in couple months
Also plenty of pretty good pre owned iPhone 8 on swappa for 300-370 price range. If you buy used you can keep ur 7 while getting a 8 for the same price

Your math doesn’t work out.

Cost of owning an 8 till the SE2 comes out is USD 100. And the upgrade is optional.

If he keeps the 7, his trade in might be between 100 and 150. And he won’t get the BF gift card. So the cost of ownership is still USD 50-100.

Same as if he were to upgrade to the 8. So it is a no brainer.

Reactions: one more

brucemr

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2019

Your cost comparison is incorrect. Compare total net out of pocket cost.

Using your numbers (your trade in estimates are reasonable/conservative)....

1) Keep new 8, buy SE2 later: 300+200= $500.
2) Keep old 7, buy SE2 later: 0+300=$300

You will spent $200 more to use the new 8 instead of the old 7 for a few months.

PS, you should assume SE2 128GB will be $450. $400 would be lowest storage. But this will not affect the cost comparison.

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Haha thanks for explaining the cost comparison to me. For some reason I was having trouble wrapping my head around that.
Maybe it does make more sense to hold on to the 7 a little longer.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Haha thanks for explaining the cost comparison to me. For some reason I was having trouble wrapping my head around that.
Maybe it does make more sense to hold on to the 7 a little longer.
what is your sales tax, if you buy 8, and then buy se2 when it comes out, you basically paying tax twice, here in ny you would pay 100 bucks just in taxes by doing two trade ins.

Reactions: brucemr

Puppuccino

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2019
United Kingdom
You probably won’t get the same price for the phone once the SE2 (or iPhone 9 it’s now rumoured to be called) comes out.

I think buying an iPhone 8 now was a mistake if you’re that bothered about the SE2. Do whatever makes you happy.

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2019
Won’t get the same price for what phone?

Right now Apple offers 220 for a used iPhone 8 and 150 for iPhone 7. I’m assuming when se2/9 comes out those may go down to 200 and 100 for the purposes of my cost comparison. Who knows but I feel that makes sense.

I plan to buy a new computer soon so easy to put the $50 gift card to use either way if I keep the 8. But it makes sense the more I think about it to just hang on to the 7 a few more months

brucemr

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2019
Won’t get the same price for what phone?

Right now Apple offers 220 for a used iPhone 8 and 150 for iPhone 7. I’m assuming when se2/9 comes out those may go down to 200 and 100 for the purposes of my cost comparison. Who knows but I feel that makes sense.

I plan to buy a new computer soon so easy to put the $50 gift card to use either way if I keep the 8. But it makes sense the more I think about it to just hang on to the 7 a few more months

Your 7 is still usable, and you are interested in SE2 in a few months.

For someone happy with the 7/8 design....SE2 will look same as 8 but with upgraded tech, supported with iOS upgrades 2 more years, and is supposed to be bit cheaper than 8 is now...

In your situation, and really for anyone whose iphone can make it a few more months, the 8 is a really poor purchase choice today.

Reactions: ilikewhey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.