Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
They don’t WANT to sell a lot of these phones. They are filling a price point but but they would rather sell a higher margin 11 or 11 Pro.
Of course they want them to sell or they just wouldn't make them. I don't see many who'd want/would buy an 11 would buying this instead. It's for people that want this form factor/price.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
They do make iPod touches with 4" screens.

The latest model was released just six months ago.
So it's a newer product than the iPhone Xs.

You got it just wrong (IMO).

1. "True SE fans" want a small form factor iPhone
(price not being the most important consideration for them).
2. It is also true that many buyers loved the inexpensive price point of the iPhone SE

Granted, that second group of budget-conscious buyers is probably much bigger. And I'm sure many among them would have preferred bigger screens. Whereas that first group of die-hard SE fans (among them myself) is a minority, albeit one that can be very vocal on enthusiast internet forums.

Still, if Apple can build and update iPad mini and iPod touch every couple of years, a new "small" iPhone some day might very well be worth their while (I hope).
One of the most reasonable posts on this topic :)

So yeah, Apple still makes the iPod Touch, but the last update was the bare minimum to keep it going. The previous model was A8/1GB RAM (same as iPhone 6) and iOS 12 is the last OS that supports them. Unless they wanted to completely discontinue the iPod Touch platform, they had to refresh it. Sales were sufficient, with a $199 starting price, that it made sense for Apple to keep it in the lineup. It’s a gateway to iPhone, and a fine music player and much more.

But they didn’t refresh the SE—they discontinued it. Sales levels (or profit margin) did not warrant continuing it. Not enough people want small phones anymore. That’s not specific to Apple; of the dozens of Android OS cellphones, no one makes a little phone. If there were enough demand, one, a few or many manufacturers would make one. But there isn’t, and they don’t.

Those that liked the SE for the size aren’t just SE-fans; they’re also 4/4s/5/5s fans. They’ve always liked small iPhones, the SE being the most recent model. But all of those iPhones have been discontinued.

Whether the “small iPhone” group or the “least expensive iPhone” group has the more legit claim to the One True SE Fan label is something we’ll probably have to agree to disagree about, but both the ones I bought were due to price. The recipients in both cases would have much preferred a larger display, but they had the good sense not to look a gift horse in the mouth lol.

In any case, it’s clear (to me) that Apple is done with 4.0” iPhones. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have killed the SE, they would have kept selling it and then refreshed it. Like iPod Touch. That they stopped selling it is telling. At $399, a 4.7” A13 iphone will sell very well. A 5.5” version at $399 will sell even better when released in 2022 or so. Because for what people want to do with their iPhone nowadays—Safari, video streaming, Facebook, YouTube, games, etc.—bigger is better.

As always, just my opinion :)

pawxpaw

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2019
One of the more reasonable posts on this topic :)

So yeah, Apple still makes the iPod Touch, but the last update was the bare minimum to keep it going. The previous model was A8/1GB RAM (same as iPhone 6) and iOS 12 is the last OS that supports them. Unless they wanted to completely discontinue the iPod Touch platform, they had to refresh it. Sales were sufficient, with a $199 starting price, that it made sense for Apple to keep it in the lineup. It’s a gateway to iPhone, and a fine music player (and much more).

But they didn’t refresh the SE—they discontinued it. Sales levels (or profit margin) did not warrant continuing it. Not enough people want small phones anymore. That’s not specific to Apple; of the dozens of Android OS cellphones, no one makes a little phone. If there were enough demand, one, a few or many manufacturers would make one. But there isn’t, and they don’t.

Those that liked the SE for the size aren’t just SE-fans; they’re 4/4s/5/5s fans. They’ve always liked small iPhones, the SE being the most current. But all of those iPhones have been discontinued.

Whether the “small iPhone” group or the “least expensive iPhone” group has the more legit claim to the One True SE Fan label is something we’ll probably have to agree to disagree about, but both the ones I bought were due to price. The recipients in both cases would have much preferred a larger display, but they had the good sense not to look a gift horse in the mouth lol.

In any case, it’s clear (to me) that Apple is done with 4.0” iPhones. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have killed the SE, they would have kept selling it and then refreshed it. Like iPod Touch. That they stopped selling it is telling. At $399, a 4.7” A13 iphone will sell very well. A 5.5” version at $399 will sell even better when released in 2022 or so. Because for what people want to do with their iPhone nowadays—Safari, video streaming, Facebook, YouTube, games, etc.—bigger is better. Just my opinion :)
profit margin is the concern, not giving us what we want... the phones haven't really changed in years, so the only way to convince the sheep that a phone is worth $1000+ is to make it bigger.. they are literally laughing their way to the bank and idiot fans applaud them..

plus there are some small phones from android and the market for simple phones appears to be growing.

people are tired of being told what they want, when in reality they are just being forced to buy what is most profitable for apple et al.

superiska123

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
While I agree that small phones aren't as popular today as they once were, there really isn't any way to know whether demand for a small flagship phone exists — simply because there isn't one available.
We have to choose between cheap, underperforming small phones or flagship phablets.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not aware of even a single truly small phone with real flagship specs.

Reactions: svenning

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
profit margin is the concern, not giving us what we want... the phones haven't really changed in years, so the only way to convince the sheep that a phone is worth $1000+ is to make it bigger.. they are literally laughing their way to the bank and idiot fans applaud them..

plus there are some small phones from android and the market for simple phones appears to be growing.

people are tired of being told what they want, when in reality they are just being forced to buy what is most profitable for apple et al.
iPhone 11 at $699 is priced the same as the unsubsidized 16GB iPhone 3G and the 32GB IPhone 3GS/iPhone 4.

iPhones have always been expensive, and even more expensive as they’ve gotten bigger and added more features.

You can insult Apple customers all you want, but there’s a reason Apple’s sold billions of iPhones, including more than 1.5 billion since 2014.

Last edited:

mag33

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2019
iPhone 11 at $699 is priced the same as the unsunsidized 16GB iPhone 3G and the 32GB IPhone 3GS/iPhone 4.

iPhones have always been expensive, and even more expensive as they’ve gotten bigger and added more features.

You can insult Apple customers all you want, but there’s a reason Apple’s sold billions of iPhones, including more than 1.5 billion since 2014.
The only advantage of Android phones is that they're cheaper. Otherwise Apple's phones are better in every way

Reactions: Bethanie21

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Still like following the SE line, not the now numbered design that towers over. I don't think just because one side is bigger that shouldn't always warrant a change of naming, to fall in-line with the rest.

Just when you get used to a name apple pulls the rug out.

pawxpaw

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2019
iPhone 11 at $699 is priced the same as the unsunsidized 16GB iPhone 3G and the 32GB IPhone 3GS/iPhone 4.

yes there is a reason, because apple have manipulated the market to force consumers into a position of no choice. that's my point.

what features have they added that are a real change in the last 5 years??? a better camera?

face it, phones are basically the same as they were 8 years ago. only small incremental changes, apart from the price which has doubled.

svenning

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2015
Los Angeles
Spot on! Been wanting something like this since the X came out ?
i think 4.7" display isn't the problem. it's the body size/shape.

a 4.7" display could fit into a body that is barely bigger than the SE now, if it's got similar edge to edge design as the "X".

What I don't think people are looking for is just anothre rehash of the iPhone 6-8 design language re-released as the "SE".

Something like this IMHO is what SE owners would prefer:
1575655083152.png

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
“Hello, I’m here to upgrade my iPhone.”

“Great! You’ll love the new iPhone 9!”

“9? But isn’t the 11 already out? I don’t want a phone from 2 years ago.”

“No no, you see the iPhone 9 is newer than the iPhone 11!”

“So is the iPhone Ten newer than the 9?”

“No, it’s also older.”

“So it’s backwards? Is the iPhone 8 newer than the 9?”

“No, the 8 is also older.”

“Then why is it called the iPhone 9 and not the 12 or 11s?”

“Oh, that’s because the 9 is a more budget-friendly model.”

“Then why not call it the SE2?”

“To prevent confusion!”

Scrolled until I found this message solely to give it the react it deserved. SO, SO TRUE.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
yes there is a reason, because apple have manipulated the market to force consumers into a position of no choice. that's my point.

what features have they added that are a real change in the last 5 years??? a better camera?

face it, phones are basically the same as they were 8 years ago. only small incremental changes, apart from the price which has doubled.
The price hasn’t doubled. Did you even read my post?

mag33

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2019
yes i read it. I just didn't pay it much attention as it is factually wrong.
the top spec iPhone just a few years ago in canada was $900. the newest one is $2000.
i know exactly how much phones cost as i have all my receipts for the last 20 years of buying them outright.
Other flagships cost about the same as Apple's flagships.

Galaxy S10: $750
iPhone 11: $700
Galaxy note 10: $700
OnePlus 7: $700

WHATS YOUR POINT?

pawxpaw

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2019
Other flagships cost about the same as Apple's flagships.

Galaxy S10: $750
iPhone 11: $700
Galaxy note 10: $700
OnePlus 7: $700

WHATS YOUR POINT?
my point is quite clear for those with the ability to read... apple want to sell what makes them the most money.

and the iphone 11 isnt a flagship by any means.

but i'll spell it out again. the only thing that has changed noticably over the years is the size, and it appears apple and others are using the size to justify doubling the price. because nothing else has really changed. phone design is barely any different. an iphone SE does 99% the same things as a $2000 iphone 11 pro max. any differences come down to, for the most part, personal preference. not some massive technical difference.

so they arent giving us what we want, they are giving us what they can force the market to accept.
look at this forum, youtube videos etc etc, there are tens of thousands of comments from people wanting a smaller phone. and when you take into account the vast majority of people will never comment on anything you could easily expand the desire out to a significant audience.
but if apple and others gave us what we want then we wouldnt be forced into buying their $1000+ phones that make them a bigger profit.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

mag33

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2019
so you're complaining about phone manufacturers in general, not only apple? your initial post seemed to single out apple.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
yes i read it. I just didn't pay it much attention as it is factually wrong.
the top spec iPhone just a few years ago in canada was $900. the newest one is $2000.
i know exactly how much phones cost as i have all my receipts for the last 20 years of buying them outright.
“Top specs” change. The new MacBook Pro offers 8TB SSD and 64GB RAM options that add $3,000 to the price of the “top spec”. You can now pay over $6,000 dollars for a “top spec” 16” MBP. But how is that relevant at all when the base is still the same $2,399 as when it was released? If they add a model with an OLED screen and A 10-core CPU there could be a “top spec” MBP at $8,000. Would you complain that that’s a 33% price increase?

The unsubsidized 16GB iPhone 3G and the 32GB IPhone 3GS/iPhone 4 were all $699.

That 2008 3G is $820 in today’s dollars, and you can get the latest gen iPhone 11 for $699. That’s a 15% price cut. And you can also get an iPhone 8 that’s $449. So don’t bother crying about the cost of a “top spec” super-premium iPhone when you can walk in today and pay HALF what you would have paid at an Apple store if you’d bought an iPhone 11 years ago.

And if Apple comes out with a folding microLED display iPhone that costs $3,000 as their “top spec” iPhone, that will be just as irrelevant to your argument.

Sure, today’s “top spec” iPhone is $1,449, and the new “top spec” might be $3,000, but you’re not entitled to buy Apples “top spec” iPhone at the price you feel like paying. You’ll still be able to buy an amazing iPhone 12 for $699, cheaper than you paid in 2008, 2009 or 2010. Or pretty much every year since.

Those are the facts.

btw, you’ll also be able to get an SE2 for $399 next year, which does 99% the same things as the $1,449 top spec iPhone. And it’ll even have wireless charging and a bigger screen than the old tiny little SE. Why are you bitching about iPhone prices “doubling”? How is that Apple “forcing” you to buy there most expensive iPhone? You seem confused, and your argument is ridiculous.

Last edited:

pawxpaw

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2019
so you're complaining about phone manufacturers in general, not only apple? your initial post seemed to single out apple.
do you know what "et al" means? i said apple et al. as in apple and others.
[automerge]1575762047[/automerge]
“Top specs” change. The new MacBook Pro offers 8TB SSD and 64GB RAM options that add $3,000 to the price of the “top spec”. You can now pay over $6,000 dollars for a “top spec” 16” MBP. But how is that relevant at all when the base is still the same $2,399 as when it was released? If they add a model with an OLED screen and A 10-core CPU there could be a “top spec” MBP at $8,000. Would you complain that that’s a 33% price increase?

The unsubsidized 16GB iPhone 3G and the 32GB IPhone 3GS/iPhone 4 were all $699.

That 2008 3G is $820 in today’s dollars, and you can get the latest gen iPhone 11 for $699. That’s a 15% price cut. And you can also get an iPhone 8 that’s $449. So don’t bother crying about the cost of a “top spec” super-premium iPhone when you can walk in today and pay HALF what you would have paid at an Apple store if you’d bought an iPhone 11 years ago.

And if Apple comes out with a folding microLED display iPhone that costs $3,000 as their “top spec” iPhone, that will be just as irrelevant to your argument.

Sure, today’s “top spec” iPhone is $1,449, and the new “top spec” might be $3,000, but you’re not entitled to buy Apples “top spec” iPhone at the price you feel like paying. You’ll still be able to buy an amazing iPhone 12 for $699, cheaper than you paid in 2008, 2009 or 2010. Or pretty much every year since.

Those are the facts.
facts??? you're using laptops to prove your point?? and you're using a years old design versus the latest in technology to say the price is less? get real... you cant say the 8 is cheaper than a 3g when the 8 is already years old and being sold at a price to reflect that. the laptop price hasnt changed becuase the laptop hasnt changed. you're using optional extras to prove your nonsense argument.

i'll say it again, nothing has substantially changed with phones. the iphone 11 pro doesnt work or do anything significantly different compared to an iphone 6.. is it better, sure in some respects, like if you want a computer or media consumption device. i dont, i want a phone. but fundementally it is no different to a iphone 6. they run the same apps and do the same thing.. but unlike your laptop example the price hasnt stayed the same for the same function.

if anything your argument just proves how apple rip off their customers with their inflated "upgrade" prices. ram and storage prices from apple often attract 300% mark ups...

but you do what you like. no one is forcing you to want a small phone. you like the phablets atthe crazy price you have been fooled into believing they are worth? if so good for you.
for me a phone is a tool, and not a very important tool. so i have no desire to spend the money on, or put up with carrying such a big device to simply make calls, send texts and listen to podcasts.. if i need to do anything more than that i have a laptop or a desktop computer.. and my new pixelbook go is half the price of an iphone 11 pro, and i know which is the better device....

Last edited:

traveltoromantis

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2017
As someone who sells cell phones, this would be a nightmare. It's already difficult enough to explain to someone why the 10 still costs more than the 11. Apple could have avoided this by naming the 8 properly.

2017: 7S, 7S+, 8 Pro
2018: 8S, 8S Pro, 8S Pro Max
2019: 9, 9 Pro, 9 Pro Max

Then the new model could be called the 9 Classic, or even the SE2. At this point, calling it the 9 would be incredibly confusing; I would lean towards 11 Classic.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
facts??? you're using laptops to prove your point?? and you're using a years old design versus the latest in technology to say the price is less? get real... you cant say the 8 is cheaper than a 3g when the 8 is already years old and being sold at a price to reflect that. the laptop price hasnt changed becuase the laptop hasnt changed. you're using optional extras to prove your nonsense argument.

i'll say it again, nothing has substantially changed with phones. the iphone 11 pro doesnt work or do anything significantly different compared to an iphone 6.. is it better, sure in some respects, like if you want a computer or media consumption device. i dont, i want a phone. but fundementally it is no different to a iphone 6. they run the same apps and do the same thing.. but unlike your laptop example the price hasnt stayed the same for the same function.

if anything your argument just proves how apple rip off their customers with their inflated "upgrade" prices. ram and storage prices from apple often attract 300% mark ups...

but you do what you like. no one is forcing you to want a small phone. you like the phablets atthe crazy price you have been fooled into believing they are worth? if so good for you.
for me a phone is a tool, and not a very important tool. so i have no desire to spend the money on, or put up with carrying such a big device to simply make calls, send texts and listen to podcasts.. if i need to do anything more than that i have a laptop or a desktop computer.. and my new pixelbook go is half the price of an iphone 11 pro, and i know which is the better device....
What’s wrong with the $699 iPhone 11? That’s a price cut from all the $699 iPhones from years past. I’m saying the 8 is HALF the price you would have paid 10+ years ago.

Apple’s not going to make you a 4.0” iPhone. If my favorite screen size was 3.5”, would it make sense for me to bitch about how Apple won’t make me what I want?

Yes, Apple won’t make you the 4.0” iPhone you want. But they’ll make you a 4.7” iPhone, and it’ll be priced at $399. You’re not entitled to a 4.0” iPhone, and you can’t complain Apple’s forcing you to spend big money on big phones when they’re offering you an awesome iPhone priced at $399 that does 99% the same things as a top of the line $1,449 iPhone.

Your wanting a 4.0” iPhone is fine, and just as valid as someone who wants a 3.5” iPhone. But no one is entitled to a 3.5” iPhone, or a 4.0” iPhone. Apple offers a 4.7” iPhone. Don’t buy it if you don’t want it, but bitching and moaning and stamping your feet isn’t going to get you what you want, imo.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Let's sya it will be called iPhone 9. Sure, all the basement netizens and youtubers will make fun of it for the first few weeks. However, if you look at the lineup, it actually does make sense. We will see iPhone 9, XR, 11. Nine, ten, eleven. The lineup goes back to normal numeral counting. A consumer coming in will see the 9 being the lower model than the 11. And even if you think it is already 2 years old, well, it's fine as well as it replaces the iPhone 8 (which is 2+ years old anyway), and the pricing matches it.

Still wishing for an iPhone SE X. :D
[automerge]1575772834[/automerge]
As someone who sells cell phones, this would be a nightmare. It's already difficult enough to explain to someone why the 10 still costs more than the 11. Apple could have avoided this by naming the 8 properly.

2017: 7S, 7S+, 8 Pro
2018: 8S, 8S Pro, 8S Pro Max
2019: 9, 9 Pro, 9 Pro Max

Then the new model could be called the 9 Classic, or even the SE2. At this point, calling it the 9 would be incredibly confusing; I would lean towards 11 Classic.
IPhone X has been discontinued when Apple releases the Xs. The Apple store won't need to explain why iPhone X is more expensive than an iPhone 11 since they are not selling the X in their retail stores.
[automerge]1575773246[/automerge]
“Hello, I’m here to upgrade my iPhone.”

“Great! You’ll love the new iPhone 9!”

“9? But isn’t the 11 already out? I don’t want a phone from 2 years ago.”

“No no, you see the iPhone 9 is newer than the iPhone 11!”

“So is the iPhone Ten newer than the 9?”

“No, it’s also older.”

“So it’s backwards? Is the iPhone 8 newer than the 9?”

“No, the 8 is also older.”

“Then why is it called the iPhone 9 and not the 12 or 11s?”

“Oh, that’s because the 9 is a more budget-friendly model.”

“Then why not call it the SE2?”

“To prevent confusion!”
Probably not going to be like that at all.
A customer comes in.
"i want to buy a new iPhone"

Store clerk: "okay, we have iPhone 9 at $400, iPhone XR at $600, iPhone 11 at $700. Which one do you want?"

That's it. Nobody will ask why the iPhone 9 is newer then the iPhone 11 because they aren't even at the same price point. People who wants to buy the 9 are not going to be confused with spending almost double their budget for the 11.

Last edited:
Reactions: asv56kx3088

pawxpaw

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2019
What’s wrong with the $699 iPhone 11? That’s a price cut from all the $699 iPhones from years past. I’m saying the 8 is HALF the price you would have paid 10+ years ago.

Apple’s not going to make you a 4.0” iPhone. If my favorite screen size was 3.5”, would it make sense for me to bitch about how Apple won’t make me what I want?

Yes, Apple won’t make you the 4.0” iPhone you want. But they’ll make you a 4.7” iPhone, and it’ll be priced at $399. You’re not entitled to a 4.0” iPhone, and you can’t complain Apple’s forcing you to spend big money on big phones when they’re offering you an awesome iPhone priced at $399 that does 99% the same things as a top of the line $1,449 iPhone.

Your wanting a 4.0” iPhone is fine, and just as valid as someone who wants a 3.5” iPhone. But no one is entitled to a 3.5” iPhone, or a 4.0” iPhone. Apple offers a 4.7” iPhone. Don’t buy it if you don’t want it, but bitching and moaning and stamping your feet isn’t going to get you what you want, imo.
im not bitching or moaning, people like you are the ones doing that. im just stating apple is losing customers by their choices. i had macs since the 1990s. the way things are going im unlikely to buy another apple product ever again, so that's tens of thousands of dollars they won't be getting from me every few years. in my house we need at least 3 laptops and a desktop plus a few phones, for 20+ years they were apple, but they lost me as a customer this year.

and who knows what apple or anyone else will make, certainly not you.. you seem completely unaware of the trend toward more basic phones. look at even junk like the light phone 2 is selling millions of $ worth.

and your point is the bottom of the range current iPhone is now $699? how on earth is that a price cut when the top of the line iPhone was priced at that? you're using the lowest model compared to the top model from years ago. of course it's on paper better. it better had bloody well be as the bloated crap software these days needs more power just to run.

once again you are using time to devalue technology. which is making your argument weaker. all other tech is getting cheaper. apart from phones, and especially not apple phones when they nickel and dime you if you want actual usable storage amounts.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
im not bitching or moaning, people like you are the ones doing that. im just stating apple is losing customers by their choices. i had macs since the 1990s. the way things are going im unlikely to buy another apple product ever again, so that's tens of thousands of dollars they won't be getting from me every few years. in my house we need at least 3 laptops and a desktop plus a few phones, for 20+ years they were apple, but they lost me as a customer this year.

and who knows what apple or anyone else will make, certainly not you.. you seem completely unaware of the trend toward more basic phones. look at even junk like the light phone 2 is selling millions of $ worth.

and your point is the bottom of the range current iPhone is now $699? how on earth is that a price cut when the top of the line iPhone was priced at that? you're using the lowest model compared to the top model from years ago. of course it's on paper better. it better had bloody well be as the bloated crap software these days needs more power just to run.

once again you are using time to devalue technology. which is making your argument weaker. all other tech is getting cheaper. apart from phones, and especially not apple phones when they nickel and dime you if you want actual usable storage amounts.
You’re complaining plenty. But it won’t do you any good. Apple has discontinued 3.5” and 4.0” iPhones. They’ve discontinued 17” and 20” iMacs. If you think Apple’s lost money by discontinuing any of those products, you think wrong.

It doesn’t seem like you understand how business works. Apple’s not losing any money by discontinuing products that don’t sell well.

Yes, Apple loses some customers when products are discontinued, but they gain many more by replacing those poor-selling products with products that actually do sell well. That’s a net gain. Apple is never going to make everyone happy, are they?

You can’t buy an Xserve anymore. Or an AirPort. Or a Cinema Display. Or a Time Machine. That’s life. That’s reality. It’s business, and Apple is a business. Businesses sometimes lose customers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know you don’t want to hear that, but in the real world, people have to deal with reality on reality’s terms. We don’t live in a perfect world where every single customer has their every need fulfilled. Sometimes you can’t get what you want—even if you’re willing to pay for it.

The market changed, even if you haven’t. Fewer and fewer people wanted small phones, and instead customers want larger and larger phones. At some point, it doesn’t make sense to continue making a product that so few people want, and the product gets discontinued.

It’s happened to many products at Apple; I’ve mentioned some above. You’ve taken it as a personal affront and you’re hurt by it. But it’s just business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.