Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
iPhone 7
iPhone 8
iPhone X (10)
iPhone XS (10s)
iPhone 11
iPhone 9

Great job Apple!!

The projected numeric order is weird. But then again, all we (As Consumers) really view the number, is a way to identify which phone model you have, that’s it. Apple could label this the ‘iPhone 12’ if they wanted to, it won’t make a difference, the marketing/price/and form factor are the mainly selling points, not the numbering.

Last edited:

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
The projected numeric order is weird. But then again, all we (As Consumers) really view the number, is is a way to identify which phone model you have, that’s it. Apple could label this the ‘iPhone 12’ if they wanted to, it won’t make a difference, the marketing/price/and form factor are the mainly selling points, not the numbering.
True, imo opinion—it doesn’t really matter. But it has to have a name.

I don’t believe iPhone 9; name rumors this far out are almost always wrong. 9 makes it seem two generations old at launch, and it gets worse every year.

I think it’ll have a lettered name. That way it can sell for a few years along side the 11/12/13/14 series without overtly giving away its age. We’ve had SE and XR; my guess is SR. “X anything” doesn’t make sense because it’s not a X-style iPhone.

Well who knows lol. We could catch a rumor a week or two (or a day or two) out that turns out to be right, otherwise we might not know until the keynote.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I think all models should be called (drum roll please), iPhone. Consumers can see with their own eyes that there are differences in screen size already. And if they must add another moniker, why not add in very small fonts at the bottom/back, the year it was made ie..2019. IMO the names are just confusing now.

ETA: Most here don’t get confused however explaining the different models and which one is newer, or which one is best etc does become confusing for those that don’t keep up with tech.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve jobs iphone

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I think all models should be called (drum roll please), iPhone. Consumers can see with their own eyes that there are differences in screen size already. And if they must add another moniker, why not add in very small fonts at the bottom/back, the year it was made ie..2019. IMO the names are just confusing now.

Having bought some iPads as gifts just under a month ago, I really hope they don't do that. It's a ****ing nightmare trying to differentiate what's what, especially when shopping around where not all sites list actual model numbers, or some sites use their own internal product codes instead. No matter how bad their numbering is, no numbers is an infinitely worse solution.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Having bought some iPads as gifts just under a month ago, I really hope they don't do that. It's a ****ing nightmare trying to differentiate what's what, especially when shopping around where not all sites list actual model numbers, or some sites use their own internal product codes instead. No matter how bad their numbering is, no numbers is an infinitely worse solution.

I see what you’re saying. Bottom line Apple really needs to sort this out. The way it is now every new iPhone gets a new name. Again easy enough for tech savvy consumers to understand but confusing to many.

GoodWheaties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Of course they want them to sell or they just wouldn't make them. I don't see many who'd want/would buy an 11 would buying this instead. It's for people that want this form factor/price.
I highly doubt they will advertise these very much, just like they didn’t with the SE. Those that want it will find it, but they will be pushing the 11s.

pawxpaw

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2019
You’re complaining plenty. But it won’t do you any good. Apple has discontinued 3.5” and 4.0” iPhones. They’ve discontinued 17” and 20” iMacs. If you think Apple’s lost money by discontinuing any of those products, you think wrong.

It doesn’t seem like you understand how business works. Apple’s not losing any money by discontinuing products that don’t sell well.

Yes, Apple loses some customers when products are discontinued, but they gain many more by replacing those poor-selling products with products that actually do sell well. That’s a net gain. Apple is never going to make everyone happy, are they?

You can’t buy an Xserve anymore. Or an AirPort. Or a Cinema Display. Or a Time Machine. That’s life. That’s reality. It’s business, and Apple is a business. Businesses sometimes lose customers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know you don’t want to hear that, but in the real world, people have to deal with reality on reality’s terms. We don’t live in a perfect world where every single customer has their every need fulfilled. Sometimes you can’t get what you want—even if you’re willing to pay for it.

The market changed, even if you haven’t. Fewer and fewer people wanted small phones, and instead customers want larger and larger phones. At some point, it doesn’t make sense to continue making a product that so few people want, and the product gets discontinued.

It’s happened to many products at Apple; I’ve mentioned some above. You’ve taken it as a personal affront and you’re hurt by it. But it’s just business.
im sorry but all you continue to do is post your opinion as fact...

and you use desktop screen size to explain phone size?? lol, ok... good logic. ever heard of the problem of induction? here's a clue, you are suffering from it.

as for my business knowledge i don't need to get into a dick swinging contest on the internet. your posts show your "knowledge" just fine..... have fun!

maybe look up some facts before posting such drivel... did you know smartphone sales are stagnating and falling?
I'm not hurt nor complaining. I'm voting with my wallet. you're the one with the personal axe to grind..

traveltoromantis

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2017
IPhone X has been discontinued when Apple releases the Xs. The Apple store won't need to explain why iPhone X is more expensive than an iPhone 11 since they are not selling the X in their retail stores.
Yes, I'm aware. The problem is that carrier stores and other third parties continue to sell the X, XS, and XS Max new. Customers ARE confused when you explain that a 10 and 10S cost more than an 11. The naming is confusing and calling a new phone the 9 just serves to make it more confusing. The current naming scheme makes sense to me (with the 11 models) and it's something apple should have done from the beginning but didn't have the foresight to.

zarmanto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2014
Around the corner from the 7/11
So, the rationale (as I see it) of going with an "iPhone 9" moniker, would be to subtly convey three basic messages:
1) This phone is an improvement over the iPhone 8 series and all that came before those,
2) This phone has fewer features than the iPhone X series and all that come after those, and
3) This phone is the last of its kind -- because the next thing up from that is obviously an iPhone X series device or newer.

To wit, even though it's out of order chronologically, I still think the numeric position could make reasonable sense from a marketing point-of-view -- that is, if Apple is absolutely committed to finally discontinuing the (extremely long-lived!) big-forehead-big-chin-round-home-button-no-FaceID iPhones, but needs to make just one more before they can fully retire the design. (If they went in just about any other direction, I expect I would end up being just about as confused as the rest of you.)

Of course, I suppose we'll all find out for sure sometime next year.

Reactions: dav1dd and jpn

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Yes, I'm aware. The problem is that carrier stores and other third parties continue to sell the X, XS, and XS Max new. Customers ARE confused when you explain that a 10 and 10S cost more than an 11. The naming is confusing and calling a new phone the 9 just serves to make it more confusing. The current naming scheme makes sense to me (with the 11 models) and it's something apple should have done from the beginning but didn't have the foresight to.
Apple would rather people buy the iPhone 11 anyway. If the carrier and resellers want to have people buying the Xs instead of the newer 11, that’s their problem.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
Thinking more about this - just like the ‘iPad’ I’d just call this the ‘iPhone’.

And then next year, Apple need to sort out their product naming system for the iPhone as from 2018, it’s become a mess.

traveltoromantis

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2017
Apple would rather people buy the iPhone 11 anyway. If the carrier and resellers want to have people buying the Xs instead of the newer 11, that’s their problem.
Carrier stores sell them because Apple produced them. Apple continued to produce iPhone X models after the release of the XS, XS Max, and XR, with these models having iOS 12+ preinstalled. It's poor naming and foresight on Apple's part. They wanted the 10 to be the highest end model, and then changed their naming and made the 11 the entry-level/mid-range model. They should have done it differently from the beginning.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
im sorry but all you continue to do is post your opinion as fact...

and you use desktop screen size to explain phone size?? lol, ok... good logic. ever heard of the problem of induction? here's a clue, you are suffering from it.

as for my business knowledge i don't need to get into a dick swinging contest on the internet. your posts show your "knowledge" just fine..... have fun!

maybe look up some facts before posting such drivel... did you know smartphone sales are stagnating and falling?
I'm not hurt nor complaining. I'm voting with my wallet. you're the one with the personal axe to grind..
I’m posting my opinion as opinion. Isn’t that what you’re doing? And I’m not using desktop screen size to “explain” phone size; 17” and 20” iMacs are simply examples of products that were discontinued. Like Xserve, AirPort, Cinema Display, Time Machine, etc. Makes sense, no?

Anyway, I’m not sure why you’re posting drivel about smartphone sales falling; did you think I said they were increasing? If so, you misread.

I have no personal axe to grind, I’m describing reality. You know, the world we live in. Have you heard of projection? It seems like you’re suffering from it...

But I get it. You like small phones and you’re upset that market demand has obsoleted your preferred product. Maybe someday people will want small phones again, who knows?

If so, hopefully it doesn’t coincide with your needing larger displays for older eyes; wouldn’t it be ironic to have Apple start making smaller phones and discontinuing larger phones just when you start wanting larger phones? Surely you can see the humor in that ?

Reactions: jpn

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Carrier stores sell them because Apple produced them. Apple continued to produce iPhone X models after the release of the XS, XS Max, and XR, with these models having iOS 12+ preinstalled. It's poor naming and foresight on Apple's part. They wanted the 10 to be the highest end model, and then changed their naming and made the 11 the entry-level/mid-range model. They should have done it differently from the beginning.
When the 9 is released (assuming it is going to be called iPhone 9 to begin with), there will be no change in the positioning as the 9 is the cheapest iPhone. 9 cheapest, 11 mid, 11 pro highest. I don’t think that’s confusing for consumers.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
I don't get why anyone would be interested in this 5 times warmed up old design. In 2020! You could have bought this years ago. And please don't tell me anyone needs an A13 cheap. It's a cellphone, not a Macbook
Headphone jack and smaller form factor. I agree the processor shouldn't matter much in theory, but you know with semi-planned obsolecense, it does. Otherwise I'd be able to use my iPhone 4 with all the security patches and latest basic apps like Uber.
[automerge]1575859297[/automerge]
The projected numeric order is weird. But then again, all we (As Consumers) really view the number, is a way to identify which phone model you have, that’s it. Apple could label this the ‘iPhone 12’ if they wanted to, it won’t make a difference, the marketing/price/and form factor are the mainly selling points, not the numbering.
Part of the reason Apple used to insist on only selling one iPhone model is the confusion. At this point I have to use a table to look up what each phone is, and for new buyers it doesn't stand out as much against the hoard of Android-running models.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
...Part of the reason Apple used to insist on only selling one iPhone model is the confusion. At this point I have to use a table to look up what each phone is, and having the latest iPhone is a lot less special (not that I care but others do).
The market changed and Apple had to change with the times.

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
Exactly. Well, I think Eddy Cue or 1 of the executives said that they love cars and a lot of cars use “S” or “R” to indicate something special. Nissan GTR, S Series etc.

And “SE” can mean Special Edition, which it kind of was.

But I guess they want to get away from R, C and SE.
Maybe we'll get lucky and it will be the iPhone mini and the lineup can be the iPhone mini, the iPhone and the iPhone Pro.
HAHAHAAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH .... no

It will probably be the iPhone 9, the iPhone 11/11S, and the iPhone 12 Pro/Pro Max -- leaving everyone to scratch there head and ask where the iPhone 10 is.

They've let this mess get way out of control.
[automerge]1575869631[/automerge]
Headphone jack and smaller form factor. I agree the processor shouldn't matter much in theory, but you know with semi-planned obsolecense, it does. Otherwise I'd be able to use my iPhone 4 with all the security patches and latest basic apps like Uber.
[automerge]1575859297[/automerge]

Part of the reason Apple used to insist on only selling one iPhone model is the confusion. At this point I have to use a table to look up what each phone is, and for new buyers it doesn't stand out as much against the hoard of Android-running models.
I think the other part of it is that when Steve Jobs was alive the most expensive phone Apple sold was, what, $600 unlocked? Along side it they sold the previous gen phone at $100 less I think.

These days, however, the iPhone 11 Pro starts at $999 and $1099 for the Pro Max. If you still want to keep customers in the ecosystem you have to offer some phones at a price point everyone can afford. So now you can start with the 8 at $449 unlocked, $599 for the Xr, and $699 for the 11 (which under the hood is the same virtually as the 11 Pro). It gives customers some room to maneuver that aren't as into the newest tech as we here are who just want a good phone that works similarly to the 6/6s they are replacing.

Now the iPhones are positioned a bit like the MacBooks and iPads. You don't have to choose between only two expensive models. You can choose the best one for you at the best price point you're willing to accept.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpn and newyorksole

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
It would make sense to me. Certainly more sense than ‘SE2’, which would be a slap in the face to many SE fans who still want an SE-sized iPhone.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
It’s possible but 64/128, at least at the initial release, wouldn’t surprise me on the least. The XR is 64/128.

Apple doesn't sell the Xr anymore with 256 GB, but you can still find plenty of 256 GB Xr's on Amazon etc...
[automerge]1575893785[/automerge]
The range will look a complete mess.
Today we have that
View attachment 881146

Then in March 2020 we'll have that
View attachment 881147

and then in September 2020 we'll have that
View attachment 881149

I am sorry but I don't know how anyone can explain iPhone 8 and 8 Plus dearer than the 9 in first half 2020 or the 200 dollars jump between the 9 and the 5.4 inch 12, and it gets worse if they keep the current 11 in September.
What am I missing?

I am convinced that Apple will remove the 8 and 8 Plus from their lineup when the SE (or iPhone 9 as you called it) is released. It would cause too much confusion, the average consumer doesn't know much about iPhones and about the hardware used in those phones. They simply cannot tell the difference between the 2017 8 and 8 Plus and the 2020 SE, because they look exactly the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: PickUrPoison

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
They do make iPod touches with 4" screens.

The latest model was released just six months ago.
So it's a newer product than the iPhone Xs.

You got it just wrong (IMO).

1. "True SE fans" want a small form factor iPhone
(price not being the most important consideration for them).
2. It is also true that many buyers loved the inexpensive price point of the iPhone SE

Granted, that second group of budget-conscious buyers is probably much bigger. And I'm sure many among them would have preferred bigger screens. Whereas that first group of die-hard SE fans (among them myself) is a minority, albeit one that can be very vocal on enthusiast internet forums.

Still, if Apple can build and update iPad mini and iPod touch every couple of years, a new "small" iPhone some day might very well be worth their while (I hope).

They still make them, yes. But it's no argument, Apple had to.

They had to refresh it. I have explained it months ago to someone else. Apple doesn't care about the iPod anymore, that time is over, but they want to continue to sell it, atleast the touch. I mean, it's still a pretty decent device for the kids or as a music player for the gym or for the car. (It's only 199$).

The previous 6th gen iPod touch had the A8 chip and 1 GB of RAM and that wasn't enough for iOS 13.

Apple can't sell the iPod touch in 2019/2020 if it cannot run iOS 13. So they just updated the logicboard (A10 chip, 2 GB of RAM and 256 GB option) so the device can support iOS 13 and they do not need to discontinue it. They didn't upgrade it's display, or home button, or camera, or colors etc... or anything else. Just the bare minimum to make it compatible with iOS 13. Minimum effort from Apple's side here.

The other option would have been to discontinue it. If the 6th gen could have supported iOS 13, a 7th gen would have never been done.

If you ask me, 4" is an outdated and old form factor and a 4" screen is way to small now. 4.7" (iPhone 6 - 8) is still very compact and that should be the absolute minimum in 2019. Think about battery life too.

Last edited:

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
[
Other flagships cost about the same as Apple's flagships.

Galaxy S10: $750
iPhone 11: $700
Galaxy note 10: $700
OnePlus 7: $700

WHATS YOUR POINT?

Except the bone of contention is that the iPhone 11 is not actually the "flagship" phone.

Apple learned from the "blowback" initially they saw with the Xr. it was "flagship priced" but in reality was not a pure flagship as it did have some sacrifices in featureset.

By renaming the "Xr" line to just "11" Apple is doing a bit of a misleading set of advertising. Though the price decrease of the 11 was necessary as well.

So while the iPhone 11 compares price wise to the S10, the Note 10, the OnePlus 7, the featureset in particular is far lower.

Apple's true "Flagship" for the 11 generation that is comparable to the S10/Note10 is the "pro" line.

The base 11 Pro price in Canada right now is $1379 (Before sales tax).
The base price of the S10 in Canada right now is $1259 (before tax)

To compare the "cheaper" mainstream devices is more appropriate. that would be the S10e vs the iPhone 11.

S10e 1019.99CAD
ip11 979.00 CAD

the S10e is 128gb storage vs the iPhone's 64.
S10e 1080x2280 AMOLED vs phones 828x1792 LCD
6gb vs 4gb RAM
Expandible storage vs no expandible storage.
Adaptive quickcharge vs no formal quickcharge.
S10e is smaller and lighter than the 11.
3.5mm jack vs no jack.
Fater network stack in the S10e

I know this seems like i've beaten up on the iPhone a bit. I do not intend that. the iPhone 11 is a great device and it is going to be the phone that most APple users imho will be getting due to the price points of it compared to the Pro models.

But the iPhone 11 is clearly not a flagship. it really is more of an 11r with the 'r' dropped due to marketing.

pawxpaw

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2019
They still make them, yes. But it's no argument, Apple had to.

They had to refresh it. I have explained it months ago to someone else. Apple doesn't care about the iPod anymore, that time is over, but they want to continue to sell it, atleast the touch. I mean, it's still a pretty decent device for the kids or as a music player for the gym or for the car. (It's only 199$).

The previous 6th gen iPod touch had the A8 chip and 1 GB of RAM and that wasn't enough for iOS 13.

Apple can't sell the iPod touch in 2019/2020 if it cannot run iOS 13. So they just updated the logicboard (A10 chip, 2 GB of RAM and 256 GB option) so the device can support iOS 13 and they do not need to discontinue it. They didn't upgrade it's display, or home button, or camera, or colors etc... or anything else. Just the bare minimum to make it compatible with iOS 13. Minimum effort from Apple's side here.

The other option would have been to discontinue it. If the 6th gen could have supported iOS 13, a 7th gen would have never been done.

If you ask me, 4" is an outdated and old form factor and a 4" screen is way to small now. 4.7" (iPhone 6 - 8) is still very compact and that should be the absolute minimum in 2019. Think about battery life too.
why is 4" too small? are humans less able to see than they were 5 years ago? what's changed other than your perception?
ive had an XS, my wife has an 11 pro. i still prefer the SE.

the font size is basically the same, icons are the same size, the only difference is less rows of them.

Reactions: jpn and fairuz

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
why is 4" too small? are humans less able to see than they were 5 years ago? what's changed other than your perception?
ive had an XS, my wife has an 11 pro. i still prefer the SE.

the font size is basically the same, icons are the same size, the only difference is less rows of them.
An edge to edge version of the smaller phone would be pretty cool.

Reactions: __jayII__
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.