Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Try to tell that to true SE fans who have already showed disapproval of the size increase. 4.7 isn’t 4.0 no matter how you try to spin it
True SE fans want a $399 (or less) iPhone, and many of them would love a bigger screen: 4.7” soon, then giving way to to an even larger screen in a couple years when Apple can manage to do it for $399.

It is also true that fans of 3.5-4.0” iPhones, who loved the 4/4s/5/5s, also loved the SE. But Apple may very well sell more 4.7” $399 “SE2” in it’s first year than they sold during the SE’s lifetime.

And the 5.5” $399 “SE3”, whether it’s released in 2021, 2022 or 2023, will outsell the 2020 “SE2”. Because most people like bigger phones. Even if their budget is limited to around $400.

Apple doesn’t make 17” or 20” iMacs anymore. They don’t make 11” or 12” MacBooks anymore. And they don’t make 3.5” or 4.0” iPhones anymore. Apple doesn’t care if you’re willing to pay $100,000 or $100 million for it—they won’t make or sell you any of those six obsolete screen sizes. They’re history. Literally.

Last edited:
Reactions: Homme

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Apple doesn't get it. The people that want a smaller phone don't want it to be 4.7. This honestly should not be called SE 2 because it has nothing to do with the original idea of the SE.
Apple gets it just fine. Very few customers were willing to buy a 4.0” iPhone—even at $349. That’s why it was discontinued. The marketplace told Apple “we don’t like these 4.0” iPhones anywhere near as well as we like big, bigger and HUGE iPhones”.

No different really from the old 17” MBP, Xserve, AirPort, Time Machine, Cinema Display, etc. When products don’t sell, they get discontinued. That’s business, and Apple’s no exception ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PS Apple’s never called it the SE2 and never will.

Last edited:

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Apple gets it just fine. Very few customers were willing to buy a 4.0” iPhone—even at $349. That’s why it was discontinued. The marketplace told Apple “we don’t like these 4.0” iPhones anywhere near as well as we like big, bigger and HUGE iPhones”.

No different really from the old 17” MBP, Xserve, AirPort, Time Machine, Cinema Display, etc. When products don’t sell, they get discontinued. That’s business, and Apple’s no exception ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PS Apple’s never called it the SE2 and never will.
You can't confirm that it's not gonna be called the SE2. It's all hypotheticals at this point. This could all be bogus and there will not be a budget phone.

My point simply is, if they called it the SE2, then they are missing the point of the original SE, which is known as the small iPhone. A name like iPhone 9 would be more fitting, as all it is is a budget iPhone. Not meant to be small, just cheap. (You can argue that the original SE was made for budget too, but for what it's worth it remains well known and renowned for its small size.)

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Then what will be the lowest price point model? Still seems they'll continue doing a Pro version, regular version, and then an 'economy' (SE) version. Oh well.

Again, if you take a look at SE you’ll see that it served as budget phone for two whole years. The top phone when SE launched was 6S. The budget replacement in September 2018 was iPhone 8. In MY 2022, the budget phone could be a standard iPhone 12 or 13 even.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
You can't confirm that it's not gonna be called the SE2. It's all hypotheticals at this point. This could all be bogus and there will not be a budget phone.

My point simply is, if they called it the SE2, then they are missing the point of the original SE, which is known as the small iPhone. A name like iPhone 9 would be more fitting, as all it is is a budget iPhone. Not meant to be small, just cheap. (You can argue that the original SE was made for budget too, but for what it's worth it remains well known and renowned for its small size.)
Certainly, when I say Apple won’t call the new 4.7” iPhone the SE2, that’s my opinion lol. That’s all any of here are doing when we comment on rumors: giving our opinion.

It is also my opinion that it would be crazy for Apple to release an “iPhone 9” when it has the same processor as the Mac ch pricier iPhone 11 models. Why wants an iPhone 9 when the iPhone 12 is about to come out? Most would assume the 9 is three years old at that point.

I also think the 3.5” and 4.0” iPhones are as dead as 17” and 20” iMacs. Technology has progressed, and Apple can give its customers the larger screens that at least 80-90% of them want—and at the same price point of smaller, less desirable screens.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
i think 4.7" display isn't the problem. it's the body size/shape.

a 4.7" display could fit into a body that is barely bigger than the SE now, if it's got similar edge to edge design as the "X".

What I don't think people are looking for is just anothre rehash of the iPhone 6-8 design language re-released as the "SE".

Something like this IMHO is what SE owners would prefer:
View attachment 881125

notch wouldn’tbe that small, why does everyone think because the screen gets smaller the sensors in the notch shrink?

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
I think that the ‘new’ SE will be the 5.4 inch screen size. Which if it’s edge to edge shouldn’t be too different from the the current SE in body size.

Problem is, that it’s at least 6 months away and that it will use OLED (if you have PWM issues like me).

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Makes sense that Apple would call it the iPhone 9. It would give Apple more of an excuse to jack up the price. If they keep “SE” in the name then everyone is gonna be looking for that $399 price tag again but if they just call it the iPhone 9 then it’ll be easier for them to justify bumping it up to $499 or even $599 in the public eye. I don’t think Apple is really gonna make a phone with those specs only $399, even though we all know they could totally afford it.
An iPhone that basically looks like an iPhone released in 2014 will need more than some bumped up internal specs. It will need a low price and $399 is the logical price given the current lineup.

Reactions: Bethanie21

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
They cant have a Keynote just for iPhone 9, so either we have something else on a March event or iPhone 9 doesn't even deserve one.

They are either replacing the entire iPhone 8 Lineup, or what could happen is they are dropping the iPhone 8 Plus. And iPhone 9 replaces it with the same price.

So 2020 Line up

iPhone Pro - 6.1" / 6.7"
iPhone 12 - 5.4" / 6.1"
iPhone 8/9 - 4.7"

It is important to note, an 5.45" 19.5:9, Face ID iPhone would have the same width as the 4.7" 16:9 iPhone.

Last edited:

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
This seems unlikely but never say never. It would kind of make sense on one level.

I doubt many people will care what it's called. In my experience folk just buy stuff they like and can afford.

sebilion

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
Name it whatever you want apple. I don't care about names! As long as it actually gets released this time! But any iphone with a fingerprint ID and new processor is a win win for me! I still love my iPhone SE, but the screen feels outdated! I wouldn't mind a 4.7" screen!

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
A 4.7" display could fit into a body that is barely bigger than the SE now, if it's got similar edge to edge design as the "X".

What I don't think people are looking for is just another rehash of the iPhone 6-8 design language re-released as the "SE".
And what are the people who are currently buying the iPhone 8 (and/or have bought the iPhone 8 or 7 over the last year or so) looking for? It is intentional to make the "SE 2" look 'old', as it ensures that only price-sensitive people buy it as those less price-sensitive want (and thus buy) something more current.
[automerge]1575719405[/automerge]
I don't get why anyone would be interested in this 5 times warmed up old design. In 2020! You could have bought this years ago. And please don't tell me anyone needs an A13 cheap. It's a cellphone, not a Macbook
The original SE was similarly the fourth version of that general design (5, 5s, 5c, SE). It looks like you don't get why anyone would have been interested in the SE either.

And while today it might not matter too much whether your iPhone has an A11 (iPhone 8) or A13 ('iPhone 9'), there will likely be a two year period during which A13 iPhones are fully supported while A11 iPhones will have been cut off from software (incl. security) updates.

Last edited:

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
(You can argue that the original SE was made for budget too, but for what it's worth it remains well known and renowned for its small size.)
Among Apple 'enthusiasts' that talk and post online about Apple products that's certainly correct. Whether that also applies to the actual majority of SE buyers, I don't know.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Apple doesn’t make 17” or 20” iMacs anymore. They don’t make 11” or 12” MacBooks anymore. And they don’t make 3.5” or 4.0” iPhones anymore. Apple doesn’t care if you’re willing to pay $100,000 or $100 million for it—they won’t make or sell you any of those six obsolete screen sizes. They’re history. Literally.
They do make iPod touches with 4" screens.

The latest model was released just six months ago.
So it's a newer product than the iPhone Xs.

True SE fans want a $399 (or less) iPhone, and many of them would love a bigger screen: 4.7” soon, then giving way to to an even larger screen in a couple years when Apple can manage to do it for $399.

It is also true that fans of 3.5-4.0” iPhones, who loved the 4/4s/5/5s, also loved the SE.
You got it just wrong (IMO).

1. "True SE fans" want a small form factor iPhone
(price not being the most important consideration for them).
2. It is also true that many buyers loved the inexpensive price point of the iPhone SE

Granted, that second group of budget-conscious buyers is probably much bigger. And I'm sure many among them would have preferred bigger screens. Whereas that first group of die-hard SE fans (among them myself) is a minority, albeit one that can be very vocal on enthusiast internet forums.

Still, if Apple can build and update iPad mini and iPod touch every couple of years, a new "small" iPhone some day might very well be worth their while (I hope).

Last edited:
Reactions: mag33

mag33

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2019
1. "True SE fans" want a small form factor iPhone
(price not being the most important consideration for them).
2. It is also true that many buyers loved the inexpensive price point of the iPhone SE

Granted, that second group of budget-conscious buyers is probably much bigger. And I'm sure many among them would have preferred bigger screens. Whereas that first group of die-hard SE fans (among them myself) is a minority, albeit one that can be very vocal on enthusiast internet forums.
Very well explained, good post.

Those who love smaller phones need to look out for the 5.4". It's going to be slightly larger than the original 5s/SE but compromises must be made.

redfirebird08

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
iPhone 9 is definitely the more accurate name.

I think that the ‘new’ SE will be the 5.4 inch screen size. Which if it’s edge to edge shouldn’t be too different from the the current SE in body size.

Problem is, that it’s at least 6 months away and that it will use OLED (if you have PWM issues like me).

The 5.4 inch version is going to be a lot closer to iPhone 8 size than the size of the SE. To deliver an edge-to-edge screen version of the SE, the size needs to be in the neighborhood of 4.8 inches instead of 5.4 inches.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plutonius

speechmaker

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2019
Anyone heard anything about whether it will have the second e-Sim capability as well like the 11-lineup?

McTool

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2016
Because the 2016 SE stood for ‘Special Edition’, and Apple probably didn’t want to add this in with the numerics of the other iPhone models, being they brought back the 4” form factor. That’s why.
No one at  said the SE stands for Special Edition!!
Absolutely no one.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
No one at  said the SE stands for Special Edition!!
Absolutely no one.

In the least, You really should do some basic 30 second research before you refute someone, especially being, when you are in fact, wrong:

Hence Phil Schillers interview:

https://www.techtimes.com/amp/artic...nds-for-according-to-apples-phil-schiller.htm

Apple's Phil Schiller, senior vice president of Marketing, now confirmed to FortuneTech's Jason Cipriani just what that "SE" stands for. According to Schiller, the iPhone SE is named this way because it's a "Special Edition."

Reactions: Ladybug and mag33
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.