Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
Still new to iOS. Have searched forums.
Just missed a couple of work calls as the phone was still in silent mode (side slide switch) after attending an event yesterday.

Why is there no icon in the top bar to show that the phone is in silent mode??? Is there a setting that I need to enable to tell iOS to show this?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
miss it too, its the first thing i installed when i was still jailbreaking. unfortunately it simply doesnt exist on iOS, one of those obvious things that still havent made it onto the iPhone

Reactions: Colocynth

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
I just check the switch on the side. Don't even have to turn the display on.
This...if you are going to the hassle of picking up the phone and turning on the display to check why not just pick it up and check the switch to look for the orange showing instead....and save a bit of battery in the process!!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I just check the switch on the side. Don't even have to turn the display on.
This...if you are going to the hassle of picking up the phone and turning on the display to check why not just pick it up and check the switch to look for the orange showing instead....and save a bit of battery in the process!!
LOL! Checking that the MUTE switch is on without turning the display on only tells you that MUTE is on - not that you missed a notification.

You can miss a bazillion calls and text messages and all that red indicator will say is "I'm ON!"

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
LOL! Checking that the MUTE switch is on without turning the display on only tells you that MUTE is on - not that you missed a notification.

You can miss a bazillion calls and text messages and all that red indicator will say is "I'm ON!"

Going back to your original post and the question you asked :-
Still new to iOS. Have searched forums.
Just missed a couple of work calls as the phone was still in silent mode (side slide switch) after attending an event yesterday.

Why is there no icon in the top bar to show that the phone is in silent mode??? Is there a setting that I need to enable to tell iOS to show this?
You said why is there no icon to show its in silent mode and we answered saying there was probably no need as its probably easier to check the side switch then it is to turn on the screen and look for a little icon on the status bar. Not seeing notifications is a different thing and something that could happen when the phone was on silent or not. Then you are into the realms of a notification light and thats another argument. One that can be potentially answered by turning on the option to have the camera flash go for notifications should you wish.

Reactions: Blujelly

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

You said why is there no icon to show its in silent mode and we answered saying there was probably no need as its probably easier to check the side switch then it is to turn on the screen and look for a little icon on the status bar. Not seeing notifications is a different thing and something that could happen when the phone was on silent or not. Then you are into the realms of a notification light and thats another argument. One that can be potentially answered by turning on the option to have the camera flash go for notifications should you wish.
Seems like you might have gotten different posters mixed up.

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

I didn't ask that. OP asked that. I am not the OP. My reply was an additional commentary to your post beyond what the OP mentioned.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014

That's another question entirely. I wouldn't mind this feature. I don't need it on my phone any longer though since I have a apple watch. And anytime I check the time theres a red dot saying I missed something. I'm thinking this is something apple will implement as soon as they start using oled displays. Something like samsung always on screen.

Reactions: eyoungren

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
I didn't ask that. OP asked that. I am not the OP. My reply was an additional commentary to your post beyond what the OP mentioned.
Apologies although my point still stands....checking for missed notifications and checking a phone is on silent are two different things and a silent icon on the status bar isnt going to help in either case really.

Reactions: NoBoMac

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
I never noticed how much iOS needs that icon until now.. I usually just glance at the switch lol
Would be interesting to see if they add it if they ever eliminate the switch and make it software (like iPad)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I never noticed how much iOS needs that icon until now.. I usually just glance at the switch lol
Would be interesting to see if they add it if they ever eliminate the switch and make it software (like iPad)
That's the thing, the switch takes care of that job essentially.

Reactions: Mlrollin91

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
The hardware button is the indicator and missed notifications are shown on the lock screen anyway, so what is the point of this discussion?

By the way, you can use Do Not Disturb as a substitute when you change the setting to Silence: Always. It is a compromise with no vibrations and the screen not lighting up, but an option nonetheless.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I just make sure the switch is "down". Like down toward the back of the phone is silent, up is not. That's how I remember it. Don't even have to look just have to reach in my pocket and make sure the switch is "down". Or using my phone, without even interrupting what I'm doing just sort of feel the side of the phone and I know whether it's muted or not.

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you

*I* would prefer if there was a clear icon on the top status bar (in addition), as the screen is something I regularly look at - the side of my phone is not. Without feedback in the status bar the user needs to remember to check, rather than being reminded of the state.

We can have a long pointless arguement about what *I* prefer, thankfully reply number 1 was helpful and told me it's not possible. Thank you, drive though.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
do you guys never use your phone in the dark? i for one cant see the mute switch right at this moment as i type this.

i dont trust the mute switch anyway. everytime i play a game or watch a video in class i first cover the speaker with my hand and pray to god that the app is actually silent cuz every so often one still plays sound

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
do you guys never use your phone in the dark? i for one cant see the mute switch right at this moment as i type this.

i dont trust the mute switch anyway. everytime i play a game or watch a video in class i first cover the speaker with my hand and pray to god that the app is actually silent cuz every so often one still plays sound
I can easily tell what position the switch is in by touch and change it if needed.

As for sound, generally the switch doesn't control the actual sound from apps and video/audio playback as those are separate. For that you just press the volume down button (or use the volume control in theControl Center) to make sure that sound is muted.

Reactions: NoBoMac

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I can easily tell what position the switch is in by touch and change it if needed.

As for sound, generally the switch doesn't control the actual sound from apps and video/audio playback as those are separate. For that you just press the volume down button (or use the volume control in theControl Center) to make sure that sound is muted.
I think I've noticed some apps do respect the switch which is a bit inconsistent and annoying

page404

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2013
The Netherlands
There is an other option called "do not disturb" which is located on your quick access menu. It's a crescent moon and when that's switched on, you will not receive calls or messages either AND you have a nice moon icon in your menu bar. Maybe use that instead of ye'olde mute switch? ;)

• Angry
Reactions: bejib66000

Cranehandler

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2016
Manila, Philippines
When you slide the side-slider to the off position (turns on silent mode), a red indicator becomes visible within the slider. There's your indication.

I totally agree with Sunapple. There's an indicator when you slide it. Though, its kinda sensitive and sometimes you won't notice that its back to a silent mode again.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014

This.

First thing I do when I park the car in the company lot is to flick the switch down, turn down the volume for sounds/speaker (eg. games, music/podcast players etc), and then manually turn on Do Not Disturb with "Noone" option. Reverse when heading out the door for home.

Everyone I know knows that I do not want to be disturbed at work, I will check lock screen regularly for notifications through out the day (set to just show missed phone and texts) to see if something is potentially important that I missed. Occasionally will check e-mail, otherwise, sits silent in my pocket all day long.

Then again, works for me, since not so wedded to the phone that I need to constantly be looking at it to reply to every text, DM, IM, etc right away.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
You can enable silent mode using Assistive Touch and that's when there is a need to display silent mode icon in the status bar which is lacking right now. Silent mode switch is only one option for muting the iphone.
I usually have Assistive Touch on the screen and often use it. The issue is, silent mode/mute is deeper in the Assistive Touch menu and there is no obvious indication whether it's on or off.

rmpbklyn

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2015
The hardware button is the indicator and missed notifications are shown on the lock screen anyway, so what is the point of this discussion?

By the way, you can use Do Not Disturb as a substitute when you change the setting to Silence: Always. It is a compromise with no vibrations and the screen not lighting up, but an option nonetheless.
pointless if you have a cover that covers the button like lifepro -water resistent
[doublepost=1483150925][/doublepost]
This.

First thing I do when I park the car in the company lot is to flick the switch down, turn down the volume for sounds/speaker (eg. games, music/podcast players etc), and then manually turn on Do Not Disturb with "Noone" option. Reverse when heading out the door for home.

Everyone I know knows that I do not want to be disturbed at work, I will check lock screen regularly for notifications through out the day (set to just show missed phone and texts) to see if something is potentially important that I missed. Occasionally will check e-mail, otherwise, sits silent in my pocket all day long.

Then again, works for me, since not so wedded to the phone that I need to constantly be looking at it to reply to every text, DM, IM, etc right away.
but he wants the opposite, i agree i work at hospital and sound is critical LOL
[doublepost=1483150995][/doublepost]

because critcal health care and service people need to hear the phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.