Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
That's the thing, the switch takes care of that job essentially.
It's actually very hard for me tell looking at my switch. In low level lighting probably impossible. Even now, daytime, inside with curtains open but overcast outside, it's hard to see any orange at all. IPhone 6 style definitely made it harder to see compared to iPhone 5

Reactions: bejib66000

4limbs

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
Georgia
This...if you are going to the hassle of picking up the phone and turning on the display to check why not just pick it up and check the switch to look for the orange showing instead....and save a bit of battery in the process!!

Very helpful. That's like telling me to just remember something that I'm always forgetting. Brilliant.

Reactions: eyoungren

ploughgirl

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2017
When you slide the side-slider to the off position (turns on silent mode), a red indicator becomes visible within the slider. There's your indication.
This doesn't stand out enough wiyh a pink phone... and when it's in a cover. It also gets knocked onto silent inadvertently... as a contractor I've missed out on work because of this. You have the technology to fix it and add an icon to the screen so at least I'd know it was accidentally silenced... why not just fix it?!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
This doesn't stand out enough wiyh a pink phone... and when it's in a cover. It also gets knocked onto silent inadvertently... as a contractor I've missed out on work because of this. You have the technology to fix it and add an icon to the screen so at least I'd know it was accidentally silenced... why not just fix it?!
It's Apple and their stupid aversion to icons in the status bar. They think it's clutter and it will make them look more like Android.

I disagree but only Apple can change it and they won't so far unfortunately.

M H

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2018
Still new to iOS. Have searched forums.
Just missed a couple of work calls as the phone was still in silent mode (side slide switch) after attending an event yesterday.

Why is there no icon in the top bar to show that the phone is in silent mode??? Is there a setting that I need to enable to tell iOS to show this?
[doublepost=1528127042][/doublepost]
pointless if you have a cover that covers the button like lifepro -water resistent
[doublepost=1483150925][/doublepost]
but he wants the opposite, i agree i work at hospital and sound is critical LOL
[doublepost=1483150995][/doublepost]
because critcal health care and service people need to hear the phone

iOS for iPhone lacks ICON for SILENT mode. This is a true flaw for following reasons:
1. in dark surroundings cannot see MUTE switch status.
2. Waterproof cases (e.g. LIFEPROOF Fre), and many simple protective styles, totally obscure the MUTE switch
3. To be realistic, we all expect to find important phone attributes 'On Screen'.

A sure related flaw is that RINGER VOLUME status display (UP/DOWN side buttons) is, "on the face of it", erroneous in SILENT mode - display should confirm an active MUTED status

bejib66000

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2022
When you slide the side-slider to the off position (turns on silent mode), a red indicator becomes visible within the slider. There's your indication.
It's not on the screen, therefore it's NOT VISIBLE while using the phone (reading messages, news, watching videos, etc.). People rarely look at any side of the phone except the front. So, because there is not indicator for silent mode status on the front (on the screen) – you don't get reminded about its status. Especially in the darkness. Stupid design.

pighuddle

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2003
This...if you are going to the hassle of picking up the phone and turning on the display to check why not just pick it up and check the switch to look for the orange showing instead....and save a bit of battery in the process!!
Hello 2016 (date of the op). It’s 2022 and iPhones have always-on displays. Do I still need to pick up my phone to see if if it’s silenced? Is there a way yet to get a lock screen icon to show this?

Reactions: bejib66000
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.