Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
What is the most accurate battery test for iPhones?

I get different results with battery health in settings, an app store app, a jailbreak app BatteryLife, and connecting phone to laptop and looking at it with coconutBattery lol!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What is the most accurate battery test for iPhones?

I get different results with battery health in settings, an app store app, a jailbreak app BatteryLife, and connecting phone to laptop and looking at it with coconutBattery lol!

Only Coconut Battery is accurate.
As far as capacity goes at least, seems like what iOS shows is what actually comes up when Apple runs their diagnostic, at least going by a few battery replacement experiences.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
As far as capacity goes at least, seems like what iOS shows is what actually comes up when Apple runs their diagnostic, at least going by a few battery replacement experiences.

That's what comes up but it is far from accurate .

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Well, what I'm saying why would they be using something that is inaccurate for their own support services? Seems rather strange.

Theirs often reports 100% even when the battery has degraded.

C-Dub

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Yes, the $55 fee was waived though. Genius said it was impossible for them to replace the battery without also replacing the speakers. When they returned the phone to me, bundled with my X, were two white boxes that contained the old speakers and old battery that they were shipping back to the factory.

My local Apple store wanted to charger me the $55 on top of the $29 battery replacement for iPhone X. What is the magic word to say to these both waived? Or at lest their $55 speaker fee?

DrJohnnyN

Suspended
Jan 27, 2010
My local Apple store wanted to charger me the $55 on top of the $29 battery replacement for iPhone X. What is the magic word to say to these both waived? Or at lest their $55 speaker fee?
No magic word. Pure discretion of the employee, I suppose.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Today I took my X in to get the battery replaced. During that process the rep kept trying to persuade me not to have the battery replaced. The word free was thrown around since I have AppleCare+, and I told him I’m not your normal customer and want to have my battery replaced. 1.5 hours later I came back to pick my phone up and was told my phone was broken in the process so I was handed another X free of charge and a free accessory.

Reactions: badatusernames

doccho

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2007
so I was handed another X free of charge and a free accessory.
What was the free accessory for? although you've got yours replaced.

Back to org. topic/issue, I got mine on 11/5/17, and it'd been 100%-99% until early June 2018, which was the time Apple brought iOS12 beta out to dev/public. Shortly after, with mine applied the beta, I experienced about 1% drop in every other week until I got mine replaced by Apple in November. (BTW, the replacement was not because of the battery but because of the camera module, which was replaced as only part, but after that, another replacement happened since the repair was wrongly fulfilled.) I suspected the iOS12 had affected on the battery health, which i still believe so.

Last edited:

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
What was the free accessory for? although you've got yours replaced.

Back to org. topic/issue, I got mine on 11/5/17, and it'd been 100%-99% until early June 2018, which was the time Apple brought iOS12 beta out to dev/public. Shortly after, with mine applied the beta, I experienced about 1% drop in every other week until I got mine replaced by Apple in November. (BTW, the replacement was not because of the battery but because of the camera module, which was replaced as only part, but after that, another replacement happened since the repair was wrongly fulfilled.) I suspected the iOS12 had affected on the battery health, which i still believe so.

USB-C to USB Adapter. I have a MacBook and can’t charge my X so that’s the only accessory that was on my list to get. I have a ton of lightning charging cords so the adapter was needed.

Reactions: doccho

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
Today I took my X in to get the battery replaced. During that process the rep kept trying to persuade me not to have the battery replaced. The word free was thrown around since I have AppleCare+, and I told him I’m not your normal customer and want to have my battery replaced. 1.5 hours later I came back to pick my phone up and was told my phone was broken in the process so I was handed another X free of charge and a free accessory.

That's going to have some awesome resell value (the X).

corruptdream

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
iohone 8, mine 3 months old and 94% ... iphone 7 before has 81 % after 24 months. it sounds like apple will get sort of new class suit again :)

guesswho183

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
Why are you people playing with betas? From my experience keep phone with IOS that that is preinstalled is best for battery. I've got iPhone X on 11.1.2 and updated to 11.3, later on 11.4 and I'm still there. Tried IOS 12 beta and didn't like at all big fonts on notification screen.
Right now it's year with this phone, battery is at ~100% capacity with 110 cycles.
We desperately need something new from apple, but there is nothing new in IOS 12, neither iPhone Xs.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Why are you people playing with betas? From my experience keep phone with IOS that that is preinstalled is best for battery. I've got iPhone X on 11.1.2 and updated to 11.3, later on 11.4 and I'm still there. Tried IOS 12 beta and didn't like at all big fonts on notification screen.
Right now it's year with this phone, battery is at ~100% capacity with 110 cycles.
We desperately need something new from apple, but there is nothing new in IOS 12, neither iPhone Xs.

I don’t have an issue with my battery on iOS 12. It’s more so that I had 343 charging cycles on my X thus it being at 89% capacity in a year. I wanted a new battery. I’ve never complained on these forums about my battery life after updating the software, and I would never stay on unsigned software unless the new software have a major bug, could brick my device, or I’m jail broken.

Reactions: geekiemac

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Theirs often reports 100% even when the battery has degraded.
My assumption there is it’s a median measurement among multiple recent measurements as I’ve seen my Battery Health percentage on older devices wobble up and down by 1% over time. Back when iOS had API for apps to retrieve the battery capacity information, it was never consistent.

freakomac

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
My iPhone X has dropped to 85% in 13 months over 430 cycles.
I also have an iPhone 5 at 70% (on 2nd battery) but that is over 4 years old now with over 1500 cycles.
From what I have seen iPhone X battery is the fastest degrading in the entire line up.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
iphone 8 plus 4 months with about 50 cycles still shows 100% on both iOS and coconut battery.

Eirik2306

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2011
Happened to me aswell

moncho33

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2018
I took mine to a local Apple reseller as we don't have Apple stores in Puerto Rico. They handle the warranty service for AT&T but mine was not eligible for a warranty replacement as the battery health was at 88% with around 375 charge cycles. They offered me the option to do the battery replacement for $29 but they had to order the battery as it was not available. I said ok, let's do it. After a week I hadn't heard from them. I go again and was told that they were waiting authorization from Apple because it was an iPhone X. After another week they called that the battery arrived and made the appointment. The day of the appointment I talked with a few employees that had the X as well, with little over a year and their battery health was under 90%. I was just charged the $29 plus our local sales tax. They did not mention anything about speaker replacement and my iPhone is working perfectly after the replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.