Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigPaus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2019
My 7 month old (replacement, so no longer under warranty) iPhone x recently bit the dust for no apparent reason.

I took a phone call, after I ended the call a pop up said 'Carrier update failed, no cellular use or data available' or something to that affect. I connected to a wifi service, updated from 13.2.2 to 13.2.3 with no change. I restored the phone. No luck. Now I can't even get past the activation in order to get into the phone period!

Took it into the Apple store and they are telling me it's a physical issue with the cell baseband system - Full purchase needed is their remedy.

I find this to be a bit odd, as I said the phone is 7 months old as when they provided me with a replacement it was brand new. They advised me that it was not a refurb, but it was new. How can this crippling issue happen just suddenly? From my research, there is an issue with the logic board connection between itself. That would require physical involvement. This was sitting on my desk after taking a call and hanging up.

Any help is appreciated as I am at a loss here on what to do with this phone and Apple.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
My 7 month old (replacement, so no longer under warranty) iPhone x recently bit the dust for no apparent reason.

I took a phone call, after I ended the call a pop up said 'Carrier update failed, no cellular use or data available' or something to that affect. I connected to a wifi service, updated from 13.2.2 to 13.2.3 with no change. I restored the phone. No luck. Now I can't even get past the activation in order to get into the phone period!

Took it into the Apple store and they are telling me it's a physical issue with the cell baseband system - Full purchase needed is their remedy.

I find this to be a bit odd, as I said the phone is 7 months old as when they provided me with a replacement it was brand new. They advised me that it was not a refurb, but it was new. How can this crippling issue happen just suddenly? From my research, there is an issue with the logic board connection between itself. That would require physical involvement. This was sitting on my desk after taking a call and hanging up.

Any help is appreciated as I am at a loss here on what to do with this phone and Apple.
It was remanufactured to “like new” condition. Apple doesn’t replace phones with brand new units unless you returned it within 14 days of purchase and then repurchased again. What’s the exact model# listed in settings/general/about?

BigPaus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2019
It was a remanufactured to like new condition. Apple doesn’t replace phones with brand new units unless you returned it within 14 days of purchase and then bought again..

He said it to me multiple times when going through the backup and restore on this new one I got. He said it is a brand new unit. Never used. None of the parts internally have been in another phone etc. I couldn't believe it but he said going forward from the iPhone X that was their policy.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
He said it to me multiple times when going through the backup and restore on this new one I got. He said it is a brand new unit. Never used. None of the parts internally have been in another phone etc. I couldn't believe it but he said going forward from the iPhone X that was their policy.
What’s the model#? If it starts with a ”M” it’s a new unit, if it starts with a ”N” it’s refurbished

BigPaus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2019
What’s the model#? If it starts with a ”M” it’s a new unit, if it starts with a ”N” it’s refurbished

I will confirm shortly. It's at home and I'm at work. That might be quite the conversation piece when I go back to the Apple store as I was hesitant to replace my old one (GPS issues) as I didn't want a refurb unit. They assured me it wasn't.

BigPaus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2019

Sorry - I actually can't get the model number it seems. I get the Serial number, but no model. I am stuck now since the store did a full restore and it won't activate.

BigPaus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2019
No model#? It’s not listed right above the serial# in “about”?

No I can't even activate the phone. This is what I get going past the wifi section. (this isn't my phone, just a google image).

unable-to-activate.jpg

instead of the 4 bars on the right beside the battery symbol. I get them moving, like they are searching for signal.

ios12-iphone-x-settings-cellular-cellular-data-options-crop.jpg

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
No I can't even activate the phone. This is what I get going past the wifi section. (this isn't my phone, just a google image).

unable-to-activate.jpg

instead of the 4 bars on the right beside the battery symbol. I get them moving, like they are searching for signal.

ios12-iphone-x-settings-cellular-cellular-data-options-crop.jpg
Does the wifi connection work?

sarpler

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2019
I think something weird is going on. You've always been able to activate iphones over wifi. Try putting the phone into DFU mode and completely wiping it with a fresh copy of iOS.

BigPaus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2019
I think something weird is going on. You've always been able to activate iphones over wifi. Try putting the phone into DFU mode and completely wiping it with a fresh copy of iOS.

I have tried that as well with no luck. Same results. Apple store said the cellular baseband chip is gone and that's what talks to the activation service? Seems odd to me. From what I've looked up there could be separation between the two halves of the logic board.

sarpler

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2019
Eeeaaahhh..... I mean maybe? I always assumed Apple's servers were verifying the serial number, but it's possibly they verify the IMEI instead for some reason, and I guess it's possible that the only place the IMEI is stored is the cell chip. That doesn't really make a lot of sense to me but it's possible.

Are you SURE you did a full proper DFU wipe-reinstall, and not just a 'restore the os' from iTunes? When you turned the phone back on, did you log in with your Apple ID or try to sync from iCloud or anything? I still feel like doing a proper DFU wipe and setting the phone up as new (without any kind of sync, login, or restore) ought to fix something like this.

BigPaus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2019
Eeeaaahhh..... I mean maybe? I always assumed Apple's servers were verifying the serial number, but it's possibly they verify the IMEI instead for some reason, and I guess it's possible that the only place the IMEI is stored is the cell chip. That doesn't really make a lot of sense to me but it's possible.

Are you SURE you did a full proper DFU wipe-reinstall, and not just a 'restore the os' from iTunes? When you turned the phone back on, did you log in with your Apple ID or try to sync from iCloud or anything? I still feel like doing a proper DFU wipe and setting the phone up as new (without any kind of sync, login, or restore) ought to fix something like this.

I haven't had to DFU restore in a long time. But I recall the 2 indicators being black screen, and not having the 'Update' option on the recovery pop up. I had both of those. Is there another indicator to make sure I am in DFU mode to recover?

sarpler

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2019
How exactly you get the phone into DFU and what exactly it does is model specific. Googling the procedure for an X indicates you need to plug the phone into a computer and launch iTunes first, then enter DFU. The phone's screen should stay black (no Apple or iTunes logo) and iTunes should pop up a dialog saying the phone is in recovery mode. That seems to be what you saw, so you probably did it right.

You didn't answer the other question though- after you did the DFU reinstall, at any point in the activation/setup process did you try to restore the phone from a backup or sync it or login with your Apple ID or anything? (I don't remember where in the process it asks for these things). It sounds like the Apple tech was right and one of the chips fried, but there's still a remote possibility that your old settings are corrupted. Try going through DFU again but this time set the phone up as a new owner who's never touched an Apple product before (assuming you get that far).

BigPaus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2019

So I have done a complete restore of the phone. At no point does it ask for any credentials. When it's done, it only shows 'iPhone' with a blank screen on iTunes. On the phone, I get through the first couple steps then after wifi selection it goes cannot activate with the blue exclamation triangle I posted earlier.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013

The store is correct. The baseband is what gets unlocked in activation. Activation downloads parameters to the baseband like SIM lock status. It is also designed to lock out the baseband to make the phone useless if it is activation locked, i.e. stolen.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
A friend experienced the same issue on an iPhone 7. I troubleshoot it using DFU, recovery or from backup. It could not be activated either.

BigPaus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2019
The store is correct. The baseband is what gets unlocked in activation. Activation downloads parameters to the baseband like SIM lock status. It is also designed to lock out the baseband to make the phone useless if it is activation locked, i.e. stolen.

So this is a physical repair? Replace the baseband chip? I am going to see a guy this weekend who does repairs as such. Hopefully doesn't kill the bank account. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.