Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphoneflow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Hi, apparently On vimeo, I can watch hdr videos(with the hdr setting selected) on Iphone 11 and XR. I tested on my older Iphone 7 and hdr is NOT selectable. I can see the difference is night and day between the two.

Go test it out, on vimeo just type in “hdr”, select one video and make sure 1080p HDR mode is selected.

If HDR works on this phone, why doesn’t youtube enable it? I find this strange...

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Do you have a link of one of the videos? I’m searching but nothing is coming up in the result.

iphoneflow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Do you have a link of one of the videos? I’m searching but nothing is coming up in the result.

here you go, make sure to put phone in landscape mode to tick 1080p HDR

Edit: rotate your phone in landscape to change the settings

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Do I need to download the app? I don’t see any option to change the resolution.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Interesting. On my 8 Plus, if I play the video in the browser it looks good but if I use the Vimeo app, it looks like HDR!

I hope YouTube updates their app so these LCD compatible phones can use HDR :(

iphoneflow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Update: this also works on Iphone 11. I tested it with my friends Iphone 11 and the hdr option was also selectable.

I suggest you all try it, it looks phenomenal!

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I thought it would work in HDR on the iPhone X as it supports it, but the option isn’t there for some reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.