Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dallastigers

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
TX

Does Photos work? And is it supposed to work together with iOS 13 instead of against each other while using iCloud?

Every time I do something minor on Mac it seems to trigger hours long curating process. Deleted 3 photos of slightly damaged shipping box from few weeks ago and pushing 3 hours later it’s still curating & analyzing again. Deletes and edits of even just a few existing pics seem to trigger too long of a process on computer over & over again.

On phone during 13 betas and released versions people and curating never ends even leaving it plugged in over night and even when computer is actually done (before I change anything). Outside of taking a pic and showing in each device, folders syncing, and deletions syncing most of the time It seems like phone updates things causing a reaction on computer even if computer was most up to date. iphone also wants to scan 22,000 pics for people & curation even though it obviously has total under each person if you click show more while missing edits/added faces already done. Besides sometimes deleting added names to pics & date edits I did on computer after iPhone scans & triggering computer to do another hours long scan why wouldn’t it just take the data the computer on Catalina already did?

I even tried to log out iCloud and remove on phone and then restart photos using iCloud with phone when computer was saying everything complete (and reviewed photos on iCloud to make sure the same) and same issues restart.

I am mostly concerned about people/faces and even modified dates being changed once phone kicks in, but especially on computer such minor changes really should not cause hours of curating.

Lynad

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2013
Liverpool UK
Does Photos work? And is it supposed to work together with iOS 13 instead of against each other while using iCloud?

Every time I do something minor on Mac it seems to trigger hours long curating process. Deleted 3 photos of slightly damaged shipping box from few weeks ago and pushing 3 hours later it’s still curating & analyzing again. Deletes and edits of even just a few existing pics seem to trigger too long of a process on computer over & over again.

On phone during 13 betas and released versions people and curating never ends even leaving it plugged in over night and even when computer is actually done (before I change anything). Outside of taking a pic and showing in each device, folders syncing, and deletions syncing most of the time It seems like phone updates things causing a reaction on computer even if computer was most up to date. iphone also wants to scan 22,000 pics for people & curation even though it obviously has total under each person if you click show more while missing edits/added faces already done. Besides sometimes deleting added names to pics & date edits I did on computer after iPhone scans & triggering computer to do another hours long scan why wouldn’t it just take the data the computer on Catalina already did?

I even tried to log out iCloud and remove on phone and then restart photos using iCloud with phone when computer was saying everything complete (and reviewed photos on iCloud to make sure the same) and same issues restart.

I am mostly concerned about people/faces and even modified dates being changed once phone kicks in, but especially on computer such minor changes really should not cause hours of curating.

Hello, are you still have a problem with this? I have been having issues with my iPhone Pro 11 and Catalina for weeks. Sync taking forever after minor changes, putting duplicates on my phone etc. Thanks.

Restlesslegs

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2015
Photos is a mess (in fact it has always been since iPhoto got killed by Apple for no reason).
- conversion of my library after 1st start took more than a full day
- app crashes every 10 to 15 mins when editing (doing mainly rotating and cropping)
- full-res view of images often doesn't work, photos are being shown blurry - need to restart app
- syncing images from photos to my i-devices does not work, "library not found" (or similar message, can't remember)
- I duplicated one album and for some reason the original album suddenly was empty (however only happened once so far)
- and the most annoying thing: every few crashes the complete library needs to be restored - which in my case takes around 2 hours...

Reactions: dallastigers

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Photos is a mess (in fact it has always been since iPhoto got killed by Apple for no reason).
- conversion of my library after 1st start took more than a full day
- app crashes every 10 to 15 mins when editing (doing mainly rotating and cropping)
- full-res view of images often doesn't work, photos are being shown blurry - need to restart app
- syncing images from photos to my i-devices does not work, "library not found" (or similar message, can't remember)
- I duplicated one album and for some reason the original album suddenly was empty (however only happened once so far)
- and the most annoying thing: every few crashes the complete library needs to be restored - which in my case takes around 2 hours...

photos is great here, and has been for a long time. handles large libraries much better than iphoto ever could. not sure why you're having those issues, but they're not 'universal'.

can't imagine why anyone would prefer iphoto at this point...

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Lucky you... I have 120.000 photos from half a dozen cameras and even "sort by date" has more or less been broken through all versions of Photos. If you're up for a decent depression, feel free to browse the apple support community for Photos:

https://discussions.apple.com/community/mac_os/photos_osx

forums like this (and apple's) are where people who like forums go to discuss problems, challenges, change... etc. in the real world, most people just use their macs, etc... and use the photos app... and life goes on.

Restlesslegs

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2015
Thanks for the enlightenment - but as you seem to be part of the forums where people discuss problems it shouldn‘t come as a surprise that some actually discuss, well, their problems... And again - it‘s great that you don‘t have any issues with Photos but others are less lucky. And as some people in this thread ask „Does Photos work“ I thought it might make sense to point out that it doesn‘t for everyone...

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Thanks for the enlightenment - but as you seem to be part of the forums where people discuss problems it shouldn‘t come as a surprise that some actually discuss, well, their problems... And again - it‘s great that you don‘t have any issues with Photos but others are less lucky. And as some people in this thread ask „Does Photos work“ I thought it might make sense to point out that it doesn‘t for everyone...

am certainly not suggesting that some people don't have problems; this forum exists to discuss things that, probably, people outside of the forums just live with.

but it's not all doom-&-gloom, and many mac users on catalina are just using their macs, not suffering with them.

meanwhile, for those here who need help, it's great we have a community to do that (despite the whining, and those who think their problems are everyones)...

dallastigers

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
TX
Hello, are you still have a problem with this? I have been having issues with my iPhone Pro 11 and Catalina for weeks. Sync taking forever after minor changes, putting duplicates on my phone etc. Thanks.
Yes still having some issues. I quit using/syncing iCloud on iPhone for awhile which helped stop the computer from constantly analyzing from phone changes (still does way too much with any other changes - Add 10 megs of screen prints with only words from phone using airdrop and it will analyze and write 300MB to 1GB of data & fix one date and/or location nearly get same) but definitely stopped changes to people albums that were already correct and lessened the rest since iPhone didn’t have iCloud turned on.

I got everything right on computer with originals downloaded. Started trying betas and eventuality retried to turn on iCloud photos on iPhone after first removing all photos from phone to download correct versions from iCloud it started over. Maybe not as bad, but while phone doing it’s thing for 3 weeks loosing some labels on people already done on computer and even incorrectly labeled some. Computer started reanalyzing photos and writing & reading gigabytes of data most days until iPhone got done scanning all photos (but still in process for weeks). It then improved some, but still happened when phone gave me pics of people to review or spent enough time curating pics. Coincidence or not phone’s people finally finished with recent beta, but numbers still don’t match computer and still have found some errors on phone and a few more labels Switched to unnamed on computer from correct person’s name.

So It’s getting better, but it still is bad for me and still seems like the devices battle each other and retrigger over-analyzing. I don’t see why full Photos syncing between computer and iCloud correctly needed 3 weeks of scanning & analyzing by iPhone when iCloud photo turned back on. This time iPhone had zero photos and downloaded all from correct iCloud and computer sync, but seemingly still spent 3 weeks redoing scanning and analyzing of pictures itself. If I update something on computer or add a face to a pic during this it will show on iPhone, but it doesn’t seem to want to show same respect to existing work done by computer. I also think even some of these get changed as phone get to them during analyzing process.

Then there are completely different issues like rotating pic causing names to disappear as they don’t rotate at first (not sure why some times it corrects itself and other times stays unnamed). Sorting is limited. Adding photos to a shared folder puts them out of date order with no way to quickly sort correctly (guessing its differing upload times getting them out of order). Folders still disappearing on computer. Can’t share a memory video using computer like on phone without redoing it as slide show. It also seems to guess that photos without a location but taken close together with ones that have it over the years are in same location, and includes it in a memory. Correcting it triggers photo analysis and all the other processes.

Curation and scanning for memories and faces have really added nothing for me & maybe been a negative (the memories I used are ones made from albums I make or from expanded people albums showing more than curated summaries). Most times i switch to all photos to find photo i like the best. If it had just accepted & respected existing info and face names that have been input for over a decade I would have been better off.

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2012
You've answered my pending question in this thread!
I'm a wildlife photographer and rely on iPhoto as an initial upload tool. My question was going to be "is it safe yet to update to Catalina?"
This thread would seem to say NO, so I won't!

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.