Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Learjet035

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
S. Floriduh
not sure if this is the correct place to post this but here it goes,
I have just started to use iphoto and really like how I can import and organize etc... my problem is when I want to then go edit in PS you have to navigate through many many folders to get to just a few pics. I don't really want duplicates on my HD as I have many pics. Am I just doing something wrong or is this a pretty big flaw with using the 2 together. Thanks!

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Agreed. Apple needs to add a "Show in Finder" command to the edit menu.

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
There's two ways of doing this really easily. :)

1. Set Photoshop as the default editor, then all you need to do is double-click the photo you want to edit, and it will open up in Photoshop. When you close/save it, it's automatically updated in your iPhoto library.

2. Drag and drop. Just drag the photo(s) you want to edit onto the Photoshop icon in the dock to edit them in it.

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
A third way which is appropriate in some cases is to select a group of photos and export them to a new folder or a temporary place like your desktop (File Menu, then Export, I think). Then you can work on them in PS. You can then reimport them afterwards. Sometimes I like to have completely dfferent versions of my photos in my library if they have been heavily photoshopped, rather than changing the original.

Alternatively you can duplicate the original, and just edit the copy by one of the other two methods described above.

Off topic - I still don't 100% trust iPhoto after it once destroyed my album structure for no apparent reason (the photo files were all still there, and I'm sure I didn't interfere with the files). I therefore keep a completely separate set of folders with all the original files from my camera, one folder per camera download. This may be OTT and a waste of storage but disk space is not currently a problem. I also have backups on CDs and an external HD, and my absolute favourite photos (wedding, honeymoon etc) take up a 1/4 of my 20Gb iPod). I am slighty paranoid, hence the multiple backups, but I just can't imagine losing my photos for ever. Oh, and I also have low-res copies of many of my photos on my iDisk :D

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
iPhoto automatically keeps a copy of the original file when you edit this way, so there's no need for that. :) (at least I can say it does when double-clicking it with photoshop as the editor; I think it does the same with drag and drop)

Learjet035

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
S. Floriduh
Awesome, thanks so much. All great ideas that I never would have thought of. I was beginning to think I was SOL. As to making PS the default editor, how would I go about setting that up? Thanks again!

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
dobbin said:

Off topic - I still don't 100% trust iPhoto after it once destroyed my album structure for no apparent reason (the photo files were all still there, and I'm sure I didn't interfere with the files). I therefore keep a completely separate set of folders with all the original files from my camera, one folder per camera download. This may be OTT and a waste of storage but disk space is not currently a problem. I also have backups on CDs and an external HD, and my absolute favourite photos (wedding, honeymoon etc) take up a 1/4 of my 20Gb iPod). I am slighty paranoid, hence the multiple backups, but I just can't imagine losing my photos for ever. Oh, and I also have low-res copies of many of my photos on my iDisk :D
Actually multiple backups is not paranoid. Optical discs have various life spans depending on the quality of the media. You should have a set of optical disc backups somewhere othar than your house if you want to be truely safe. And at the very least keep the backups far away from the compute rin the house.

You may want to copy the CDs every few years to be sure. (And keep the old sets anyway until they become unreadable.) I actually plan to do that soon, but with another intent - I'll be copying them to DVD-R so if I ever need to restore I'll have fewer pieces of optical media to handle (unless a DVD goes bad) if I ever need to restore.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
With Photoshop CS you also have the File Browser

Shift-Apple-O

Very handy, much more versatile than the finder...

Learjet035

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
S. Floriduh
Thanks guys, I reset my iphoto options to open PS when double clicking. PS will open when I double click a pic but no photo opens. Same happens when I drag a pic to the PS icon in the dock. Any ideas? The only way to open them is PS is to navigate through the PS browser. Weird. Thanks

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
Learjet035 said:
Thanks guys, I reset my iphoto options to open PS when double clicking. PS will open when I double click a pic but no photo opens. Same happens when I drag a pic to the PS icon in the dock. Any ideas? The only way to open them is PS is to navigate through the PS browser. Weird. Thanks

Works fine for me and always has. Is this only for images from iphoto - IOW what happens if you drag and drop any other graphic file on the PS icon in the dock? I'm just guessing, but maybe your PS is not properly installed.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Learjet035 said:

This is a big Photoshop CS bug. It doesn't happen to me on my home rig, but happens on three out of six computers at work. You can open files through the File>Open menu in Photoshop, but not drag and drop or double-click to open. It is a real pain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.