Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iCharlie86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2015
Hi,

I have iPod classic 7gen 160GB and want to install some old games on it. I found games and FW with instructions, but FW is only for 5gen and 5.5gen. Is it possible to install games on 7gen? Where can I found FW for it.

BR Charlie

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom
Hi,

I have iPod classic 7gen 160GB and want to install some old games on it. I found games and FW with instructions, but FW is only for 5gen and 5.5gen. Is it possible to install games on 7gen? Where can I found FW for it.

BR Charlie

The Firmware on the iPod Classic (6th, 6.5 and 7th depending on what people want to call them) was also never hacked like the FW on the 5 & 5.5. Furthermore It's also not possible to download and install the original games that were compatible with the iPod classic that were sold through the iTunes store as the DRM on iPod games was never broken so downloaded games will always ask for the iTunes e-mail and password associated with the game file when adding it to iTunes.

iCharlie86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2015
Hi,

Thank you for yours answer. Is there any way to buy games, since there are no more available on iTunes?

woodenbrain

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2009
FWIW, if you have any games you purchased that you want to install or re-install (after for example restoring) on an iPod Classic, I found it works with VMWare emulation. I used iTunes 12.6.2 under Mac OS X 10.9.

I had to authorize iTunes for my the Apple ID the games were purchased under. I was pleased to find that it didn't cause issues with synching the same iPod with music (and other stuff) under High Sierra and iTunes 12.8.2. In other words, I synched everything else with the latter, then installed the games under emulation (with all other sync categorized turned off), then was able to sync everything else again with iTunes 12.8.2 on MacOS 10.13.6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.