Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiggeeC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2002
Gaithersburg, MD
Hey everybody. I bought an ipod a few days ago, and I'm having what I call a problem...although it may be normal...you tell me.
Ok, when I plug it into my ibook, it uploads like it should. However, Iget that "Do Not Disconnect" message for what seems like forever. Once the music is uploaded, shouldn't I be able to disconnect the thing? I have to eject it so that I can use it, or I close my ibook, putting it to sleep, and then I can resume my normal ipod functions. I'm going to keep it plugged in all night tonight, and disable the sleep function, and see what happens.
I'm just curious though...is this supposed to happen? Does the message goaway after awhile? Thanks in advance.

Chris

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
If you enable firewire disk mode, or have iTunes open (i think), then this is perfectly normal. The computer cannot access the information if it's dismounted, and you shouldn't disconnect it while mounted. So eject it, wait for the checkmark, then unplug.

Quick way to eject that i'm fond of, iPodEject (try http://www.versiontracker.com), puts an iPod in your menubar, so you can dismount it with one click while apps are open, etc etc...

pnw

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
>Iget that "Do Not Disconnect" message for what seems like forever. Once the music is uploaded, shouldn't I be able to disconnect the thing? (BiggeeC)

Either
(1) Click the eject icon in iTunes, or
(2) Eject the mounted iPod image (on your computer desktop).

When your iPod displays a checkmark, physically disconnect your iPod.

>I close my ibook, putting it to sleep, and then I can resume my normal ipod functions. (BiggeeC)

DO NOT do this. You may corrupt I/O data between your computer and your iPod. The actions you describe are of a similar equivalent to unplugging a second computer in Firewire Target Disk Mode without ejecting the mounted Firewire disk image first, which can corrupt data.

BiggeeC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2002
Gaithersburg, MD
Hey everybody, thanks for the help. You have answered my questions. I do have one more though. After I rip a CD, then put it on my ipod, and I delete the CD from my itunes memory, why is it that when I plug my ipod back in, that CD (and playlist) are gone from my ipod? I guess the question is: Once I rip a CD, do I have to keep it in itunes? Thanks

Chris

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
You can delete the music from iTunes and leave it on the iPod, all you have to do is disable auto-syncing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.