Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwar1976

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Norwich
Hi all,

I used to own an iPod Touch 4th Gen quite a few years ago & only got rid of it when I started using my Android phone as my all in one device. Now next month I am taking a trip abroad which involves about 10hrs of travelling and so plenty of music is essential.

So now I am thinking of getting another iPod Touch to save using the battery power of my phone, while the battery power on my phone is brilliant, I have never used it for Spotify offline for more than 6hrs, so cannot say how the battery is going to be after 10hrs of travelling. What I was wondering, is it worth picking up an older IPod Touch for Spotify or is it the case that Spotify will only work on the latest Touch ?.

Many thanks

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
Hi all,

I used to own an iPod Touch 4th Gen quite a few years ago & only got rid of it when I started using my Android phone as my all in one device. Now next month I am taking a trip abroad which involves about 10hrs of travelling and so plenty of music is essential.

So now I am thinking of getting another iPod Touch to save using the battery power of my phone, while the battery power on my phone is brilliant, I have never used it for Spotify offline for more than 6hrs, so cannot say how the battery is going to be after 10hrs of travelling. What I was wondering, is it worth picking up an older IPod Touch for Spotify or is it the case that Spotify will only work on the latest Touch ?.

Many thanks

With Wifi Off, the iPod touch is rated for 40hrs of music playback; 8 hours for video playback so I guess with occasional usage for skipping to the next song, watching Netflix offline you might be able to squeeze 10-12 hours.

Small screen + no cellular helps a lot with battery.

Reactions: jwar1976

jwar1976

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Norwich
Thank you very much for that reply, would that be 40hrs regardless of if it is 5th gen or 6th ?. Also if I were to get a 6th Gen, would Spotify stop working on it for offline downloads once the new iOS gets released or would it have some survival left for a small period ?.

Many thanks

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
Thank you very much for that reply, would that be 40hrs regardless of if it is 5th gen or 6th ?. Also if I were to get a 6th Gen, would Spotify stop working on it for offline downloads once the new iOS gets released or would it have some survival left for a small period ?.

Many thanks

Just get the latest one (7th gen for $199). You'll be happier with performance and iOS 13 support.

jwar1976

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Norwich
Thanks for that I will look into it, I know it is doubtful but it would be nice to retain the Spotify remote on my smart watch, but extremely doubtful that a Galaxy Watch & IPod Touch would play nicely together.

KyNY

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2016
I have the 6th gen (same size battery as the 7th) and the longest battery life I ever had was roughly 5 hours when it was new. That was using music stored locally on the device (not spotify) with wifi off, low brightness, bluetooth off, etc.

Why Apple still claims 40 hours of music playback on their website is beyond me.

jwar1976

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Norwich
I have the 6th gen (same size battery as the 7th) and the longest battery life I ever had was roughly 5 hours when it was new. That was using music stored locally on the device (not spotify) with wifi off, low brightness, bluetooth off, etc.

Why Apple still claims 40 hours of music playback on their website is beyond me.

I have heard that happening to a few 7th Gen users as well, quite ridiculous really for a device that is £200 for the 32gb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.