Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UnrealWhale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2019
.......It is a tv show service..... What other compelling reason is needed...?

Are you just not going to address any of the other things I said... or..?

Address what? me wasting my time? I waste my time regularly, like most of us in this world. Are you attempting to plunge me into an existential crises or something?

Frankly, when someone in here says "i'm paying because i enjoy the shows" i don't believe them. Sorry, i just don't. I think they are paying because they have intense brand loyalty towards Apple.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Address what? me wasting my time? I waste my time regularly, like most of us in this world. Are you attempting to plunge me into an existential crises or something?

Frankly, when someone in here says "i'm paying because i enjoy the shows" i don't believe them. Sorry, i just don't. I think they are paying because they have intense brand loyalty towards Apple.
You don't believe that people pay for a tv service because they enjoy the TV content? Well you're either confused or trolling. Either way, I will show myself out, Have a good night.

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010

So everyone who says they’re enjoying the shows is lying? Ok. Enough of you.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I wouldn't pay for it. But I get it free because I bought a new iPhone.

I actually think it's kind of funny Apple's making TV shows. It just doesn't seem like a good fit to me. Granted, it's not as out of place as The Weather Channel showing weather-related movies, like they did about 10 years ago, but it I'm still trying to understand why Apple feels compelled to create content on its own.

UnrealWhale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2019
So everyone who says they’re enjoying the shows is lying? Ok. Enough of you.
Well that didn't take long lol

It's really not that difficult to see why their first crop of shows are failing, look at who they have in charge - former execs of Sony's film division which has been utter crap for the last 5+ years.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
we got disney+ free as well with our verizone service.

unless you have kids, or are truly obsessed with marvel/star wars i also dont' see it being a great service unless their new 'original' shows are decent.

however, for $13 which includes hulu and espn+ i think is a good deal.

no one gave any real compelling argument other than "i like the shows"

I don’t understand why that isn’t an acceptable reason to subscribe to a TV service.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
I don’t understand why that isn’t an acceptable reason to subscribe to a TV service.

See above. While of course it's an acceptable reason (and the only one that matters), he apparently doesn't believe anyone really likes the shows and are just saying that. Sounds a little crazy I know but keep in mind this is the internet and sanity is not a prerequisite to post. ;) He’s just your typical egotistical Troll who can’t fathom that someone doesn't share his opinion than so therefore they must be lying.

This thread should just be locked as it's quite obvious the OP's questions can never be answered to his satisfaction and it's merely a vehicle for him to display some false sense of superiority over his huge movie collection and his magical ability to speak for other's taste in TV and to know what they like better than they do.

Last edited:

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
I wouldn't pay for it. But I get it free because I bought a new iPhone.

I actually think it's kind of funny Apple's making TV shows. It just doesn't seem like a good fit to me. Granted, it's not as out of place as The Weather Channel showing weather-related movies, like they did about 10 years ago, but it I'm still trying to understand why Apple feels compelled to create content on its own.

Eh, I think it's just a natural progression.

Apple Services is their second largest revenue stream after iPhones. With Apple Music (and dipping their toes in with exclusive docs, concerts, interviews, Carpool Karaoke) it was only a matter of time before they stepped in the arena of creating their own content. (Similar to how Amazon went from just being a retailer & digital store to creating their own content)

Itunes as a digital retailer was (is) huge for them. At this point, the lines have blurred when it comes to tech & entertainment. Even Google has a live TV streaming service (YouTube TV).

Apple just jumped into growing field that they financially & creatively could. Their brand is strong enough make it legit. Now, they probably won't ever eclipse Netflix or Disney, but they don't necessarily have to in order to be successful.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Apple is not making music content, though.

True, but they have expanded into areas, originally thought to be outside their area of focus.

Apple Card, Apple News+, Apple Arcade, Apple Music, are all evolutions from a company that 10 years ago or so people wouldn't have imagined.

With Netflix (and Amazon) breaking out with original content with big name talent attached (We see how theaters feel about Netflix films) getting Hollywood accolades from Oscars to Emmys...it's not surprising that Apple is doing their own content.

Apple creating their own content does seem strange on the surface....but even when Netflix started out, they were just DVD by mail distribution....now they've evolved in a major player in Hollywood. I'm guess Apple (and eventually others) just want a pice of that "original content" pie. Don't have to pay for licensing if you own it.

Reactions: Mr.C

UnrealWhale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2019
True, but they have expanded into areas, originally thought to be outside their area of focus.

Apple Card, Apple News+, Apple Arcade, Apple Music, are all evolutions from a company that 10 years ago or so people wouldn't have imagined.

With Netflix (and Amazon) breaking out with original content with big name talent attached (We see how theaters feel about Netflix films) getting Hollywood accolades from Oscars to Emmys...it's not surprising that Apple is doing their own content.

Apple creating their own content does seem strange on the surface....but even when Netflix started out, they were just DVD by mail distribution....now they've evolved in a major player in Hollywood. I'm guess Apple (and eventually others) just want a pice of that "original content" pie. Don't have to pay for licensing if you own it.

Right, but it still doesn't make much sense to me. They could have easily merged with Disney or gobbled up Netflix, or even made a similar deal that Prime Video did to obtain a library of content.

Offering a standalone service with just 4 shows, and barely anything else down the pipeline for a subscription price not bundled with their other services is insane and they do it because they know they have a cult like following that will buy anything with an Apple log on it.

Reactions: Breezygirl and Aydy

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Right, but it still doesn't make much sense to me. They could have easily merged with Disney or gobbled up Netflix, or even made a similar deal that Prime Video did to obtain a library of content.

Offering a standalone service with just 4 shows, and barely anything else down the pipeline for a subscription price not bundled with their other services is insane and they do it because they know they have a cult like following that will buy anything with an Apple log on it.

Dickinson is ok after 3 episodes ... and For All Mankind is excellent background noise. The premise of See is of no interest to me... and the Morning Show is abysmal, IMO.

I am watching because it's free for a year... but so far, nothing compelling enough to make me pay for it ... certainly nothing that I would miss if it all went away tomorrow.

At least with computers, Apple had something at some point along the way before they screwed the pooch... not so with this...

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
At the moment I wouldn't pay for this. They don't even have an Android TV app yet, which imo is essential.

Also, Disney+ is downright amazing. So much high quality content; a sharp contrast from everything else.

UnrealWhale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2019
At the moment I wouldn't pay for this. They don't even have an Android TV app yet, which imo is essential.

Also, Disney+ is downright amazing. So much high quality content; a sharp contrast from everything else.

Yeah there is literally 0 reason to pay for this. It's crazy that people do.

But, really, i don't get Apple's strategy at all. There are free apps like PlutoTV that give FREEE content (with commercials baked in but still) and apple has nothing but 4 shows??? How ridiculous is this.

Everyone i know that got it free are all like "huh? that's it? why would i pay for this?"

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015

This isn't far off the mark, BUT....there still is a strategy behind it. While they may have been premature with the selection at launch. Plus everyone still forgets about Snoopy In Space, Helpers, Elephant Queen & Ghostwriter...Technically they launched with 8 originals, lol...and an episode of Oprahs Book Club.

They also, for better or worse, set themselves up with substantial Hollywood players. Two new series (Octavia Spencer & M. Night) are dropping within a couple of weeks. The Banker is scheduled for December.

Granted they should've waited until they had a few series at launch....but it is what it is. They're smart to give a free year...otherwise, you're correct, most wouldn't sign up for it. They have some interesting titles down the line Amazing Stories (Spielberg) Lisely's Stories (Stephen King), etc.

By next year, when all freebies are over, they'll probably have a substantial amount of content that could potentially pull in subscribers.

My original point was it's simply not a surprised that they've moved into the arena of creating their own content. This is a hot commodity now, streaming & original content is huge...most of these tech companies want to expand into "complete" domination when it comes to the consumers entertainment (i.e. Apple Arcade) & their home & how they consume entertainment.

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
I am actually paying for it. But then it costs less than $ 1.40 per month here in India. Between this, apple arcade and apple music family subscription, my total bill is under $ 5 so I'll keep using all three for the time being.

The offerings are certainly weak as far as TV+ is concerned. Especially See. So much money invested in that show and yet it keeps getting worse with each new episode. For All Mankind is decent and probably the "best" of the lot. Morning Show is watchable too.

But there is nothing which makes it stand out. I wish apple had atleast some kind of USP for TV+. Say for example, if they had announced all the series would be mini-series (ie, finished in a single season) I'd have been all over it even with the small library and $5 a month price. Or some thing else which made it unique. Right now I cant think of anything really other than the big budgets and apple logo.

Reactions: Aydy

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
And I only made an observation which I’m sure answers the OPs question by suggesting the absurdity of paying for a streaming service with 12 hours worth of (15+ rated) content currently.

Ps. There is No “issue” if we were speaking this would be a conversation. Not an issue

What’s absurd about paying $5 for 12 hours of entertainment?
The absurdity has been people paying $15+ for 2.5 hours of garbage MCU movies and doing it like what, 20 times?

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
I am actually paying for it. But then it costs less than $ 1.40 per month here in India. Between this, apple arcade and apple music family subscription, my total bill is under $ 5 so I'll keep using all three for the time being.

The offerings are certainly weak as far as TV+ is concerned. Especially See. So much money invested in that show and yet it keeps getting worse with each new episode. For All Mankind is decent and probably the "best" of the lot. Morning Show is watchable too.

But there is nothing which makes it stand out. I wish apple had atleast some kind of USP for TV+. Say for example, if they had announced all the series would be mini-series (ie, finished in a single season) I'd have been all over it even with the small library and $5 a month price. Or some thing else which made it unique. Right now I cant think of anything really other than the big budgets and apple logo.
This.

‘I find it an oddity of a streaming service. For me it’s only serviceable on a Friday since I have seen basically everything (other than kids content) on there. It’s basically open the app on Friday, watch the couple episodes added for that week then back out of the app until next Friday, safe in the knowledge that NOTHING will be added in between. Right now, with such limited content I’d struggle to call it a steaming service. Not like we’re used to, although it’s certainly unique to be drip fed “All” available content ?
[automerge]1574079566[/automerge]
What’s absurd about paying $5 for 12 hours of entertainment?
The absurdity has been people paying $15+ for 2.5 hours of garbage MCU movies and doing it like what, 20 times?

‘where are you getting $15 from? My Netflix costs 7.99 my prime costs €59 annually, which incidentally includes access to prime video, prime music, books as well as unlimited same day/one day delivery. I guess you can now get an idea of why I think apples offering absurd when I’m used to the competition spoiling me.
[automerge]1574079758[/automerge]
Error post. ?

Last edited:

Helpplease123

Suspended
Oct 29, 2019
I have the one year free subscription. If they get much more content that I want to watch, I will pay for it. If not, I'll wait until a new season of For All Mankind is all available, sign up for one month and binge away.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
‘A Fool and his money are easily parted’ ?

Last edited:

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Interesting article over at The Verge reference critic reviews vs. user reviews;

The Verge
That piece is a completely understandable response from TMS producers. I personally think the show is okay but I still think it’s a crap service. This is essentially what they are saying on that piece. People are confusing production quality with a crap service from Apple which has translated to unwarranted negativity in the programming/production value. It’s good they highlighted & pointed the reader the rotten tomatoes score, which, I assume is an attempt to serve some damage limitation from early reviews.

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
I am paying - bought a whole year off the strength of the initial 3 episodes I saw.

Nütztjanix

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2019
Germany
A station of Germany's public broadcasting service today had a review of tv+, focusing on "The Morning Show". They actually liked it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.