Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UnrealWhale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2019
What’s absurd about paying $5 for 12 hours of entertainment?
The absurdity has been people paying $15+ for 2.5 hours of garbage MCU movies and doing it like what, 20 times?
i agree with this to an extent. Disney+ is no better but that doesn't justify paying for Appletv+

There's rumors goin around that Apple is not pleased. Seems like a very large part of the audience have already stopped watching the shows.

Reactions: jbachandouris

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
No one. Absolutely no one is cancelling Netflix or prime over this as it stands at launch.

Well I might not cancel Netflix for this at launch but I already cancelled Netflix anticipating to subscribe to this in a year time.

Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
There's rumors goin around that Apple is not pleased. Seems like a very large part of the audience have already stopped watching the shows.

you meant rumors like Apple TV+ shows will all be G rated and Tim Cook personally gave a notes to show runners to make it “nice”?
It’s cute that you resorted to ‘rumor’ now.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Well I might not cancel Netflix for this at launch but I already cancelled Netflix anticipating to subscribe to this in a year time.
If cutting your nose off to spite your face for a year floats your boat, go for it man. If I were going with your logic I’d rather keep Netflix for the year with guaranteed always available content to watch “then” cancel in a years time to sign up to AppleTV, when hopefully content will be significantly populated by then. It’s baron right now.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
If cutting your nose off to spite your face for a year floats your boat, go for it man.

Doh. It seems there’s a lot of things in life you don’t understand. Netflix is not for me. Period. I subscribed to it because it’s the only game in town. Now there are others so it’s easy decision. I saved $100+ for a year and save more than half of that going forward. What’s not to like?
There are not many shows I care for on Netflix. For something I want to continue seeing I know where to look.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Doh. It seems there’s a lot of things in life you don’t understand. Netflix is not for me. Period. I subscribed to it because it’s the only game in town. Now there are others so it’s easy decision. I saved $100+ for a year and save more than half of that going forward. What’s not to like?
There are not many shows I care for on Netflix. For something I want to continue seeing I know where to look.

?? Erm, okay then ??
[automerge]1574517773[/automerge]
?? Erm, okay then ??
Literally the most unconvincing I prefer appletv over the real streamers I have read yet. Do you happen to get paid for this diatribe by any chance? You do realise that Your post could give people the impression that appletv is currently a worthy streamer service, which is something I think only apple white knights, shareholders or employees could argue at this point.

Last edited:

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Personally speaking I find Apple TV+ currently rather pointless and I've zero interest in subscribing right now.

I do however fully support anyone though who enjoys it so, I'm here to give my thumbs up to @AidenL , @Jim Lahey , @jaredlipsitz et al. Whilst I personally may not think it's worth while, I'm sure they're are plenty that do, and more power to them.

Meanwhile, as for the OP, there's invariably always an XKCD for posts like this. And guess what, there is:

duty_calls.png

That's what I was thinking with each of the OPs replies!

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
If cutting your nose off to spite your face for a year floats your boat, go for it man. If I were going with your logic I’d rather keep Netflix for the year with guaranteed always available content to watch “then” cancel in a years time to sign up to AppleTV, when hopefully content will be significantly populated by then. It’s baron right now.

Easy solution, keep Netflix and subscribe to Apple TV+

Reactions: Abazigal

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Do you happen to get paid for this diatribe by any chance? You do realise that Your post could give people the impression that appletv is currently a worthy streamer service, which is something I think only apple white knights, shareholders or employees could argue at this point.

I think you’re a very confused person with a very narrow view/mind. If you’re not too focus on being against other opinion different than you, just like an OP, you might find that: A. I didn’t pay for Apple TV+ currently, which is what I stated very clearly on my 1st post. B: you may think Netflix is inexpendable but I guarantee you many will view it differently. That’s just a human nature. And finally C: Yes, I have saved $100+ for a year from not subscribing to a service I don’t care that much, and I will save half of that subscribing to Apple TV+ next year so I ask again, what’s not to like?
Can’t wait to see The Foundation and Amazing Stories series. Hope one of these or both get released when they charge me lol.

Personally speaking I find Apple TV+ currently rather pointless and I've zero interest in subscribing right now.

I do however fully support anyone though who enjoys it so, I'm here to give my thumbs up to @AidenL , @Jim Lahey , @jaredlipsitz et al. Whilst I personally may not think it's worth while, I'm sure they're are plenty that do, and more power to them.

Well said. ?

Last edited:

UnrealWhale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2019
you meant rumors like Apple TV+ shows will all be G rated and Tim Cook personally gave a notes to show runners to make it “nice”?
It’s cute that you resorted to ‘rumor’ now.

hey no need to argue with me about it, just wait and see.

everyone i know that started these shows have quit them. no one will watch to the end. going by my own circle of social media, real life friends, etc, etc it isn't looking good.

yeah, anecdotal, but overwhelming anecdotal evidence for me to conclude that the rumors have some merit.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017

everyone i know that started these shows have quit them. no one will watch to the end. going by my own circle of social media, real life friends, etc, etc it isn't looking good.

yeah, anecdotal, but overwhelming anecdotal evidence for me to conclude that the rumors have some merit.

You’re talking like shows don’t peak with numbers early on and then taper off elsewhere. That just what happens.

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010

A sample of friends is never a good sample. Why? Good chance your friends are of a similar mindset to you.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
A sample of friends is never a good sample. Why? Good chance your friends are of a similar mindset to you.

He, and his sample of friends are incidentally of the same mindset of the majority of AppleTV+ subscribers outside of these forums. In that respect he is in good company. The general consensus on social media and from industry journalists is overwhelmingly negative With regard to the service currently. This we can not deny.

Is it that much of a leap to find OP and circle of friends agree with that majority? The minority mindset, as displayed here on MR, I could argue isn’t particularly a glowing recommendation & neither a good sample..If we’re resorting to questioning mindsets over opinion.

Reactions: UnrealWhale

UnrealWhale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2019
He, and his sample of friends are incidentally of the same mindset of the majority of AppleTV+ subscribers outside of these forums. In that respect he is in good company. The general consensus on social media and from industry journalists is overwhelmingly negative With regard to the service currently. This we can not deny.

Is it that much of a leap to find OP and circle of friends agree with that majority? The minority mindset, as displayed here on MR, I could argue isn’t particularly a glowing recommendation & neither a good sample..If we’re resorting to questioning mindsets over opinion.

And the consensus on this very board isn't overwhelmingly positive either. So, let us be real - Appletv+ is mediocre at best.

The entertainment industry is an entirely different beast than tech, Apple needs to navigate these waters very carefully or else they'll just piss money into the wind.

Anyone that follows films/tv knows that throwing large amounts of money at a project does not guarantee success. Hell, even getting a bunch of talented actors together won't guarantee success.

Most of what you see released on tv/film are projects that were in the works years and years and years and years before finally materializing.

Reactions: Aydy

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010

What is your source for this? To my knowledge, there has been no research done.

Reactions: TiggrToo

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
And the consensus on this very board isn't overwhelmingly positive either. So, let us be real - Appletv+ is mediocre at best.

Appearences to the contrary, people who post on forums such as MacRumors do not a representative sample make.

This horse of yours has not only been flogged to death, the poor nag has been scooped up and is already now glue that holds Apple devices together.

Give it up already, you’re not changing anyone’s mind here yet you’re still harping on about it.

Last edited:

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
What is your source for this? To my knowledge, there has been no research done.
Source for what fella? Assuming you’ve not been living under a Rock this past month then you’d already be aware of the negative response to the service. Not only has it become quite the laughing stock on social, it seems the public at large equally are not impressed. The “source” is under your nose. Add to this the slaughtering from early reviews by tech media/industry and I’m sure we can appreciate the consensus is/has not been favourable. I hate the term “Google is your friend” hate it! But in this case..

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I'm paying at the moment. I'm mostly "all in" on the ecosystem (mac hardware notwithstanding) and i'm willing to give it a while to see whether it is any good. If i get one good show a month out of it 5 bucks isn't excessive imho.

I think apple are throwing enough cash at this that something decent will come out of it sooner or later.

Reactions: Abazigal

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
Source for what fella? Assuming you’ve not been living under a Rock this past month then you’d already be aware of the negative response to the service. Not only has it become quite the laughing stock on social, it seems the public at large equally are not impressed. The “source” is under your nose. Add to this the slaughtering from early reviews by tech media/industry and I’m sure we can appreciate the consensus is/has not been favourable. I hate the term “Google is your friend” hate it! But in this case..
I've seen lots of rave reviews about the shows from people on social media. On social media, you can find what you seek. I love the shows, my wife loves the shows, family love the shows. So now what?

I'm going to end my participation in this discussion now, as we're clearly not going to reach any meaningful conclusion, with your over reliance on social media, friends, and the so-called "public at large".

Reactions: StyxMaker

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I’ll pay for it. Currently doing the free trial, but I’m really enjoying Servant and The Morning Show. I’m actually annoyed the critics were too focused on the subject matter with the morning show instead of the actual quality of the show. The acting and pacing is excellent.

Reactions: iOS Geek

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Got a year for free but if I didn’t I’d still pay. For the price of a large coffee it’s well worth it and can only get better.

Reactions: iOS Geek
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.