Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kpjoslee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007

From 7:30.

Yay! Rocket Lake is 14 nm backport of Willow Cove! No new Intel process till 2022, at least!

RedGamingTech, Really?
People will take you seriously if you can find better sources than Chiphell leaks or some youtuber dealing with clickbait rumors. ?

DoofenshmirtzEI

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Dude. About Semi-Custom. We have AMD roadmaps way past CES 2020. We have roadmaps way past end of 2020. There is no single roadmap on which Van Gogh exists. Everybody who knows a thing or two about this stuff will tell you one thing: it is a semi-custom product. End of the story.

Did it ever occur to you that Apple might have made it up? Apple can certainly keep stuff out of public builds they don't want to be there. They can also put anything in a public build they want to, knowing that people mine these things for information.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
Did it ever occur to you that Apple might have made it up? Apple can certainly keep stuff out of public builds they don't want to be there. They can also put anything in a public build they want to, knowing that people mine these things for information.
Did it ever occur to you that Van Gogh codename was known BEFORE Apple put it in the Catalina Beta?

Apple made up a codename that was known from Silicon that was changing hands.

Yeah... I have never read anything more funny on any tech forum. And I have to put it this way to not sound impolite.
RedGamingTech, Really?
People will take you seriously if you can find better sources than Chiphell leaks or some youtuber dealing with clickbait rumors. ?
You do realize that he has found sources and summed all of the information in clear way?

Last edited:
Reactions: ssgbryan

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
That makes it even better for rumormongering!
?‍♂️

It has nothing to do with rumormongering. But hey. Everyone can be resistant to some things.

Let me sum up some things for those who do not understand what Semi-Custom is.

Van Gogh's codename was found from physical silicon changing hands. It means that it IS ALREADY EXISTING.

And yet not on a single one of AMD's roadmap of products. Why? Because it comes from Semi-Custom division.

Why has it appeared it in MacOS Catalina?

Because its Apple who ordered the design.

Why simple things are so complex for people who are resistant to changes?

DoofenshmirtzEI

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
If I were resistant to change, I wouldn't have lasted this long in the industry.

But I also know better than to cut off possibilities prematurely. Sure, Van Gogh could be what you say it is. But there are also many other possibilities. I, quite frankly, find it hard to believe that notoriously secretive Apple is leaking true information through public releases. I think it is far more likely to be misdirection and/or messaging.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
?‍♂️

It has nothing to do with rumormongering. But hey. Everyone can be resistant to some things.

Let me sum up some things for those who do not understand what Semi-Custom is.

Van Gogh's codename was found from physical silicon changing hands. It means that it IS ALREADY EXISTING.

And yet not on a single one of AMD's roadmap of products. Why? Because it comes from Semi-Custom division.

Why has it appeared it in MacOS Catalina?

Because its Apple who ordered the design.

Why simple things are so complex for people who are resistant to changes?

can you explain semi-custom?

Reactions: AidenShaw

fendersrule

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
DFEEDC81-5050-4C9A-9EDB-B2D3A5E89229.jpeg

ssgbryan

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
RedGamingTech, Really?

He actually has a track record......
[automerge]1575442352[/automerge]
can you explain semi-custom?

You either tell them what you want or you design it and they make it. AMD does it with a bunch of folks. The Ryzen 5 3500 is an example - it is made for 1 market (China).

Reactions: koyoot

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States

fendersrule

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
Jayz had a similar video where he dumped prototype Intel chips all over the table in disgust for how/what Intel did to "try" to compete with the Threadripper.

And guys, as it's been mentioned many times, this is only 2019 and there's considerable backlash against Intel already. 2020 it will hit peak levels.

Kinda makes it bittersweet for me with the new Mac Pro and their new, purposeful shrunken market segment. They've flipped off many of the potential Mac Pro buyers, and now they will probably start eating crow.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
And the PP/Avid/… crowd has already switched platforms...
Precisely! Anyone that cares about the fastest performance in cross platform software switched long ago. Those concerned about the fastest performance for FCPX just buys the fastest Mac they can afford. No avian dining required :)

ssgbryan

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
What a truly bizarre comment.

What is bizarre about it?

The reason we had the cheesegraters originally was because of P.T. Barnum's connection with Pixar.

I am quite sure that Timmy wants those TV+ shows developed with Apple hardware and software.

Until the press NDA was lifted, I thought that the AVX-512 instruction set would give the 7,1 a chance. Nope.

What is a different compelling reason to use a 7,1?

The 7,1 has a series of Xeons that will perform below what a Zen 2 Threadripper is capable of.

It has half the I/O speed of a TR system.

No modern video cards at launch. Have fun paying for that RX5500XTMPX.

No future upgrade path. Between Intel's socket of the month strategy and it's deathmarch to 10nm (it will happen by the end of 2021), there won't be any 14nm++++++++++++++++++ Xeons to move to.

The 7,1 will be even more of a cul-de-sac in Apple's walled garden than the 6,1.

Kpjoslee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
What is bizarre about it?

The reason we had the cheesegraters originally was because of P.T. Barnum's connection with Pixar.

I am quite sure that Timmy wants those TV+ shows developed with Apple hardware and software.

Until the press NDA was lifted, I thought that the AVX-512 instruction set would give the 7,1 a chance. Nope.

What is a different compelling reason to use a 7,1?

The 7,1 has a series of Xeons that will perform below what a Zen 2 Threadripper is capable of.

It has half the I/O speed of a TR system.

No modern video cards at launch. Have fun paying for that RX5500XTMPX.

No future upgrade path. Between Intel's socket of the month strategy and it's deathmarch to 10nm (it will happen by the end of 2021), there won't be any 14nm++++++++++++++++++ Xeons to move to.

The 7,1 will be even more of a cul-de-sac in Apple's walled garden than the 6,1.

7.1 supports up to 1.5TB of Registered ECC Memory on 6-Channel, while Threadripper 3 "supports" up to 256GB with spotty ECC support on quad channel. I am sure there are usecases 7.1 will have beyond what T3 systems could provide for memory intensive operations. It is not just the matter of processing power, otherwise, Threadrippers would have made every EPYC out there irrelevant.

I doubt people would care much about "upgrade path" when they will simply change the entire rig when it is time for another upgrade. Apple has clearly moved away from "DIY" minded enthusiasts ever since they stepped away from 5.1 (7.1 is made to be easily serviceable and expandable within Apple's ecosystem, but they definitely not encouraging users doing their own "upgrades"). If you really care about "upgrade path" and more of a DIYer willing to provide every upgrade for your own machine, then you are better served on elsewhere other than Apple.

I am not sure why you decided to keep complaining for several months repeating same points over and over even after Apple has already decided on specs when your particular usecase is better served on Window machine with Threadripper and Nvidia GPU.

Last edited:

Pro7913

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2019
7.1 supports up to 1.5TB of Registered ECC Memory on 6-Channel, while Threadripper 3 "supports" up to 256GB with spotty ECC support on quad channel. I am sure there are usecases 7.1 will have beyond what T3 systems could provide for memory intensive operations. It is not just the matter of processing power, otherwise, Threadrippers would have made every EPYC out there irrelevant.

Then use EPYC. Technically, both Threadripper and EPYC have identical hardware parts.

Kpjoslee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Then use EPYC. Technically, both Threadripper and EPYC have identical hardware parts.

Sure, you could. Then you have to decide if trading off the processing power for more memory support is worth it in your usage scenario.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.