Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipodtouchie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2019
Looks like the price recently dropped because of 7?
Refurb 6 is $129.
I wish it were $99, but i don't know when that's gonna happen.... so....
I'm a noob and want to use Touch to run a few light apps and Skype.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well, keep in mind that Touch 6 is not getting iOS 13. That might not matter to you for your use case but even so depending on what Apps you use it could become an issue in a couple years when App developers stop providing updates to Apps for devices running iOS 12.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Well, keep in mind that Touch 6 is not getting iOS 13. That might not matter to you for your use case but even so depending on what Apps you use it could become an issue in a couple years when App developers stop providing updates to Apps for devices running iOS 12.

I have kept my Touch 6 on iOS 10 and have not had a problem with apps yet.

Going forward, I can see some apps not running because they will require more RAM then the Touch 6 has (i.e. a hardware issue and not an iOS issue).

Refurb 6 is $129.

If the price it right and satisfies your needs, I see no problem getting the Touch 6.

I also have no issues with Apple referbs.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
The battery is pretty bad, which could be a problem for something like Skype. Also no more iOS updates means app support could be lost.

You could make it work though if you don't mind those things.

icloud

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Refurb 6 is $129.

The unusability of the 6th gen was a deal breaker for me. Tried using it again but applications, even music/podcasts was so sluggish (even on a clean install) that the device was unpleasant to use. Battery life was also a huge letdown. I personally wouldn’t recommend.

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
I couldn't recommend an iPod Touch in 2019. The battery is anemic and gets worse over time. the 1GB of RAM makes many applications run very slowly. It won't get any further iOS updates. etc.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I bought a refurb 6th gen a while ago, and the poor battery life is really a huge negative on these. I would not recommend buying one.

Reactions: smorrissey

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
To add another experience concerning out-of-date-iOS... I'm using an Ipod Touch 5, but still on ios7! But I'm sure my use case is different... I use an Ipod Classic for music. The IpT5 is relegated to a gaming device. With some other apps I use sparingly.

One big hit was about 1.3 years ago, Plants Vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time eventually required ios8 or later. I ended up playing on my iPad Air (1) instead which had ios8. I still play some games on there from time to time (after all, they're already paid for :\ ). I have another game, a card game, that won't seem to work on ios7, but does work on my ios8 ipad Air (despite the developer and game description saying it IS compatible with ios7).

I have 2 games that I had to stop playing due to glitches/bugs. Dunno if they ever got addressed, but I probably won't be able to get updates for them at this point.

It's odd b/c when i first got my IpT3 around 2010, I got entrenched into iOS gaming all the way until the IpT6 was announced. that was the first time i did NOT get the next generation Ipod Touch, and my interest in iOS gaming waned from that point on.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
Depends on the price you can get it for. I just bought a 32gb 6th generation iPod touch for $90 Cdn. I’m fully aware that it won’t upgrade to IOS 13 but i’m Intending that it will complement some homepods. I could have bought a new iPod but didn’t see the point. If I ‘need’ a 7th generation model in the future I’ll buy one then.

Tom

Reactions: Elitegate

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Swell, the moment Apple comes out with the 7th generation iPod Touch, they immediately consider the 6th generation obsolete.
Better start saving up for a 7th gen iTouch...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.