Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
I report amounts of money, very fast and under pressure on Twitter messaging. I cannot always remember to start w the $. If I think to start w $ I sometimes forget the total amount and must look back: "Now what was the total?"

Is there a way to create a keystroke that would insert the $ at the front of whatever amount I type, so I could type: 576.80 then hit the key that would insert the $ in front: $576.80

Any help will be appreciated.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I’m not sure a keystroke would work because the keystroke would have to first tell the system to jump to the beginning of the total and then add a $. That is something that a programmer’s code editor could do, but it wouldn’t be easy to do with a single keystroke.

If you’re using an external keyboard you could always type out the total, then hit OPT+left arrow, to jump to the beginning of the total, and then hit SHIFT+4.

Tovenaar

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2008
Why not put the $ at the end? It's not usual but I think people would still understand what you meant.

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
If you’re using an external keyboard you could always type out the total, then hit OPT+left arrow, to jump to the beginning of the total, and then hit SHIFT+4.
This is probably the best advice. Just opt+left to the beginning of the total and then use command+right to jump back to the end of the text. Once the combinations become second nature it'll be a really quick way of doing it.

Reactions: revmacian

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
No. These shortcuts have existed on iOS/Mac for hardware keyboards for a long time:

Opt + Left/Right Arrow: Left or Right one "word".
Cmd + Left/Right Arrow: Same as "Home" or "End" on Windows, or the start or end of the line.

Reactions: revmacian
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.