Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
To me it indicates nothing more than they like brightly coloured watch straps…end of. Their reasons for choosing it are just that, theirs, nothing to do with me or anyone else.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I mean if you care what people think about you then sure. It would bring more assumptions to peoples minds but that's just what it is with people today. Its sort of like a man wearing a pink shirt(still not totally the same but). Some don't care and others wouldn't be caught dead owning a pink shirt. Depends on if you care what other people really think about you.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
No it’s not weird at all, you don’t have to have an association to the strap to like the colour combination.
I like the pride watch face and use it often because I like the colour and animation. So far the people I know from that community haven’t said, you shouldn’t use that you’re not gay, they don’t give a damn. The only people who have said anything are straight people and they can go to hell, if I like it I’ll use it.

So do what makes you happy and don’t give a damn, life’s so much simpler that way.

Reactions: retta283

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
Says you. Are you gay? Do you understand that if you wear these colors daily people will think you’re gay? If not then more power to you! Whether you care or not doesn’t negate the fact people think you’re gay, unless you’re at an event or surrounded by really good friends ?

The great thing about being me is that I don't give two pieces of dog crap what ANYONE thinks of me. Be yourself and don't worry about what other people think. That's part of the problem with things today. The Smith's care what the Jones' think and vice versa. Who cares! Wear the pride strap if you want to.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
The great thing about being me is that I don't give two pieces of dog crap what ANYONE thinks of me.

I admire that.

I feel unable to do so myself because what people think about you can have real world negative effects on you. For example not getting a job because one person in an interview team is bigoted and sees the rainbow strap. Or your car getting keyed because your bumper sticker supported the wrong politician in the wrong neighborhood. Or a million other things.

Reactions: crjackson2134

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
The great thing about being me is that I don't give two pieces of dog crap what ANYONE thinks of me. Be yourself and don't worry about what other people think. That's part of the problem with things today. The Smith's care what the Jones' think and vice versa. Who cares! Wear the pride strap if you want to.

obviously the OP cares. Maybe you should be sensitive to that and provide some perspective. Saying “I don’t care” doesn’t help the OP.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
White iPhone is for girls, Pink and Purple iPods are for girls, only men buy black. Men don't buy colorful or bright things unless they want to look like a sissy.

This has been a recurring thing on MR for many many years, just buy what you like and forget what anybody else says. I have some pink and rainbow things and I am not a homosexual. It's just a color.

Reactions: Ntombi and TrueBlou

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
White iPhone is for girls, Pink and Purple iPods are for girls, only men buy black. Men don't buy colorful or bright things unless they want to look like a sissy.

This has been a recurring thing on MR for many many years, just buy what you like and forget what anybody else says. I have some pink and rainbow things and I am not a homosexual. It's just a color.

Its all about cosmetics. I mean it’s Apple!

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland

Amen, why should people give a rats unpleasant bit what other people think of their choices.
Life’s just too short to care, if you like something, if it makes you happy, just bloody do it.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Says you. Are you gay? Do you understand that if you wear these colors daily people will think you’re gay? If not then more power to you! Whether you care or not doesn’t negate the fact people think you’re gay, unless you’re at an event or surrounded by really good friends ?
Yes, I said it. That part is quite obvious. Your original statement was:
A gay supporter would only wear this at an event etc. Not as a daily thing unless you’re gay.
And, again, this is demonstrably false. I am not gay. I wear one of several Pride bands occasionally, for days at a time (I tend to change bands every few days), with no event in sight. Therefore, as I pointed out, your assertion is entirely incorrect.

Now you try to support your statement by moving the goalposts, bringing in the angle of, "well, but people will think you're gay". First, that's not the statement you originally made. Second, so what of it? I've had (gay) people assume I'm gay on occasion (not because of a watch band, at times when I was not sporting any rainbows) - I always take it as a compliment (in these instances, they're generally far more hip, stylish, and cool than I am - if they feel I belong amongst their group, I am touched by that).

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA

I have a bunch of pastel Apple Watch bands (yes, including pink), because I like pretty colors. I buy them and wear them because they amuse or delight me, not to "make me look like" anything in particular.

Fun fact, the "blue is for boys / pink is for girls" thing is surprisingly recent, historically, and when the notion first arose, one suggestion was that pink was obviously the more manly color, and blue was feminine and delicate (yep, reversed from how everyone thinks of it nowadays).

Yeah, it's a recurring thing here that (invariably) guys are concerned that this or that color might make them seem less masculine. If your sense of your own masculinity is so shaky that you think the color of a strip of fluoroelastomer will send you careening over the edge... you've got bigger issues than which watch band to buy - the strap isn't going to cause people to mistake you for a woman. Relax, they're just pretty colors. (Not to mention, the idea that there should be shame attached to someone mistaking you for a woman, or as being gay... that's so outmoded - we, as a society, need to outgrow that - being female, or gay, doesn't make one in any way inferior to straight men.)

And it's funny that it's always guys asking such questions (I'm talking about the "is this band too feminine?" questions, not the current thread's "it is a faux pas for a straight person to wear a rainbow band?" question) - I never hear women sheepishly asking "will this strap make me look too masculine?". Many guys seem unnecessarily terrified of being perceived as anything other than super macho.

Last edited:

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I have a bunch of pastel Apple Watch bands (yes, including pink), because I like pretty colors. I buy them and wear them because they amuse or delight me, not to "make me look like" anything in particular.

Fun fact, the "blue is for boys / pink is for girls" thing is surprisingly recent, historically, and when the notion first arose, one suggestion was that pink was obviously the more manly color, and blue was feminine and delicate (yep, reversed from how everyone thinks of it nowadays).

Yeah, it's a recurring thing here that (invariably) guys are concerned that this or that color might make them seem less masculine. If your sense of your own masculinity is so shaky that you think the color of a strip of fluoroelastomer will send you careening over the edge... you've got bigger issues than which watch band to buy - the strap isn't going to cause people to mistake you for a woman. Relax, they're just pretty colors. (Not to mention, the idea that there should be shame attached to someone mistaking you for a woman, or as being gay... that's so outmoded - we, as a society, need to outgrow that - being female, or gay, doesn't make one in any way inferior to straight men.)

And it's funny that it's always guys asking such questions (I'm talking about the "is this band too feminine?" questions, not the current thread's "it is a faux pas for a straight person to wear a rainbow band?" question) - I never hear women sheepishly asking "will this strap make me look too masculine?". Many guys seem unnecessarily terrified of being perceived as anything other than super macho.
Just in case there was confusion, I was making fun of the way people label colors to sexuality/gender, I wasn't being serious with that. It's a bit hard to tell from this comment if you are just continuing the thought or thought I was attacking the colors as being gay or feminine.

My iPhone is Rose Gold (basically pink) and I miss when Apple made bright white products, so I am in the scope of that as well.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Just in case there was confusion, I was making fun of the way people label colors to sexuality/gender, I wasn't being serious with that. It's a bit hard to tell from this comment if you are just continuing the thought or thought I was attacking the colors as being gay or feminine.
Very much continuing the thought, not taking up a contrary position. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Wear it. It's a symbol of openness and support for diversity. I have a Pride sticker on my MacBook and I'm not gay either. And quite frankly I don't care if people think I'm gay - there's nothing offensive about that.

Reactions: CarlJ

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
i agree 100%..A gay supporter would only wear this at an event etc. Not as a daily thing unless you’re gay.

It's not like its a scarlet "A".

It's a watch band.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Not at all. It's a gorgeous band regardless. I'm a guy and I'm really into color. I bought the Pomegranate Sport Loop which is very pink, and I don't give a damn what anyone thinks. It looks awesome. The rainbow band will be my next purchase. The red lugs will look sick with Space Gray.

Exactly this. I'm generally viewed as a pretty masculine guy, but I love pink and wear it when I can. I think wearing the rainbow band is similar. Yes, it's virtue-signaling (or will read that way to many), yes, most will assume you're gay, but none of that is actually a problem unless it bothers you. And besides, some people will think it's great, and those are probably the people you'd like, anyway.

Reactions: Brien

Gsmaniac

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2014
When I see that symbol I'm going to think 80% chance you are LGTBQ, 15% chance you are just very supportive, and 5% chance you simply like rainbows. Apparently you are in that 15% in my head.

Keep in mind that it is literal virtue signaling. Like it's one thing to donate to fight cancer, and another thing to wear the plastic yellow band for the next 10 years. ;) Not like I can talk though, I have a PRODUCT(RED) iPhone. (signals virtuuuuue)

oh so you have HIV

see that’s how stupid your logic is.

Reactions: TantalizedMind

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I initially thought that by purchasing the pride band I'd be essentially showing support for LGTBQ community whilst rocking a really good looking band (IMO) however a few friends suggested that it was kind of weird to wear the pride strap unless you know someone close to you who is gay, or are gay yourself.

What are your thoughts?

I think they never looked up "rainbow coalition" in Wikipedia, for instance.

Wear in good health whatever you like for a watchband. People think whatever they think when they see any aspect of your outer self including whatever you're wearing, reading, carrying on the train. I used to ride the D-train for quite a stretch up into Manhattan from Brooklyn at odd hours, and soon enough realized that whole collections of short stories could be launched off what I saw people wearing (or, not wearing!) and toting along in those subway cars. I mean stuff like a kitchen sink with pots and pans piled in it, as if it were a box, and uncased string bass viols... and live poultry... and one night a pony. Yeah, a smallish Shetland pony. I don't want to know how they got it through or over the turnstiles. It was all so entertaining that I confess I never noticed what anyone's WATCHBAND happened to looked like. Life is short, live your own and let other people get bogged down on your watchband, gee.

||\||

Suspended
Nov 21, 2019
I initially thought that by purchasing the pride band I'd be essentially showing support for LGTBQ community whilst rocking a really good looking band (IMO) however a few friends suggested that it was kind of weird to wear the pride strap unless you know someone close to you who is gay, or are gay yourself.

What are your thoughts?

Are any of these folks queer?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
oh so you have HIV

see that’s how stupid your logic is.

If you are going to evaluate "my logic", you should include all of it.

My post included three likely possibilities, (A) being LGBTQ, (B) just supportive LGBTQ, and (C) just liking rainbow patterns.

Yes, this could apply to product(RED) as well. Person could be (A) suffering from HIV, (B) supporting the fight against HIV, or (C) just liking the color red.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.