Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, given that the OS are different, is it valid to compare the performance of Windows laptops with the MBP based on the scores?

Also, is it normal that the fans of the MBP 16" 2019 kick in during Cinebench R20 benchmarking? On my P53, it wad dead silent running the Windows version of Cinebench R20.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
The fans should kick in. In performance settings, the P53 should as well.

It is valid in the sense that the scores will correctly represent performance in Cinema4D in some relative way. Some differences may occur as a result of different software stacks, but that's always the case. Standardised benchmarking software generally speaking though tries to be as similar across platforms as possible. Cinebench though is intended as a benchmark of Cinema4D performance for certain hardware, so keep in mind that it is a specific product benchmark in the end. It should give a pretty even score on the same chip between the two Ones, usually.

That said, Windows laptops often have a myriad of performance settings that are manually controlled, like power profiles, and even things like not allowing maximum performance unless you're plugged into a charger. macOS automatically deals with it and doesn't restrict performance when unplugged.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
The fans should kick in. In performance settings, the P53 should as well.

It is valid in the sense that the scores will correctly represent performance in Cinema4D in some relative way. Some differences may occur as a result of different software stacks, but that's always the case. Standardised benchmarking software generally speaking though tries to be as similar across platforms as possible. Cinebench though is intended as a benchmark of Cinema4D performance for certain hardware, so keep in mind that it is a specific product benchmark in the end. It should give a pretty even score on the same chip between the two Ones, usually.

That said, Windows laptops often have a myriad of performance settings that are manually controlled, like power profiles, and even things like not allowing maximum performance unless you're plugged into a charger. macOS automatically deals with it and doesn't restrict performance when unplugged.

Thanks. In this case, I had the Windows laptop plugged in to the AC adapter and set it to max performance. It was dead silent.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Thanks. In this case, I had the Windows laptop plugged in to the AC adapter and set it to max performance. It was dead silent.

May have a large enough heatsink that it could keep temps low enough for one run, but if you do a few runs in a row its fans should kick off. Either that or it throttles the hardware. Did you get scores matching expectations?

Queen6

macrumors G4
Completely valid, just that some don't care for the results, hence why Geekbench is so often lauded on MR. Bottom line is most Mac's are all show and little go as they have a propensity to thermally throttle.

Acid test is ones workflow, equally entertaining to illustrate what Apple "cant do" or you have to pay for the nose for...

R20 with base 8th Gen hex core...
3103CB (No Taskbar).jpg

Pushes a solid 3.9GHz as long as you need, nor an MBP

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: hajime

foreteller

Suspended
Nov 18, 2019
Well, it's perfectly possible to compare but it's a little unfair to Windows given its slow, ancient core technologies and inferior, unthought out non-pro hardware!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
lso, is it normal that the fans of the MBP 16" 2019 kick in during Cinebench R20 benchmarking? On my P53, it wad dead silent running the Windows version of Cinebench R20.
How does the MBP's cinebench score compare to your P53?

As for fans, yes, I can see them ramping up during the benchmark

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
How does the MBP's cinebench score compare to your P53?

As for fans, yes, I can see them ramping up during the benchmark

For R20:

Mac
CPU 3513
CPU single 452

P53
CPU 2436
CPU single 449

So the Mac is faster? I think for GPU performance, P53 is better. I heard that Lenovo puts more emphasis on GPU performance in their P-series laptops. I guess the scores are also affected by whether or not the machine was warmed up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So the Mac is faster?
Yeah, impressive. I personally probably wouldn't notice a difference but my needs are different.

I think for GPU performance, P53 is better.
I would guess that's due to the class of Nvidia GPU (more workstation based) in the P53 vs. the AMD. I'm not a GPU guru of any sort, so I can't really provide details.

as long as you're happy, and the machine works for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.