Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Hey everyone, just thought I would share a website that I originally happened upon, when someone discussed Cocktail. Rixstep did a review of the program and gave it a real beatdown for what it properly deserved, along with other programs such as MacJanitor.

http://www.rixstep.com

However, I think within the last few months or so, Rixstep has gone from a website that reccomends alternative operating systems and cheerleading Mac OS X, Rixstep has totally gone in the opposite direction and goes out of it's way to completely beat the hell out of Apple in it's articles. I mean, they give Apple no mercy whatsoever.

Rightfully, they gave Steve Ballmer a hell of a beatdown in a faux-interview about Windows Vista's upcoming release, delays in the release, and the rush to gold while hacking and slashing features.

I readily agree with them on many points but it just seems that within the last few articles they're not even bothering to give a viable alternative. They're just beating the **** out of anyone who makes an operating system or a computer product (they absolutely love beating Apple over the head with their Intel Switch, and it's like they find delight in everything that goes wrong)

I think at one article they basically said the only alternative today is Ubuntu Linux. Now, don't get me wrong. I think Linux is a great operating system, and Ubuntu is what i've used to learn my way around Linux. It's a very nice system but it still is not ready for primetime just yet. I have yet to have a seamless upgrade from a Breezy Badger to Dapper Drake distro, which makes or breaks a OS in a office environment.

I'm just really upset that a website that I read seemed to have some very good pieces of writing, and some very good points of view, suddenly just starts beating Apple over the head for everything they do, without really giving me a viable alternative to consider. It's like Apple was their girlfriend that decided to break up with them, and now they're mad as a bull and trying to make life miserable for them.

Thoughts?

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Perhaps.

I finally found out what was preventing me from upgrading to Dapper Drake, and I am very impressed with Dapper Drake. The GUI for GNOME is absolutely beautiful. It almost makes me want to buy a cheap windows laptop just to run it.

I know if I get an Intel mac I'm definetly going to put Ubuntu on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.