Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OMGitsDaYisus

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
Spain
Hello there,

I'm currently the owner of an iPhone 6s Plus (32GB), which I bought in 2017's summer. I am looking forward to upgrading my phone. I was aiming at an iPhone 11, but the LCD display, as well as the thicker vessels and the 0,5x optical zoom camera (I prefer a 2x optical zoom), made me reconsider. I even considered the iPhone 11 Pro, but it's way too expensive for my budget (1,159€).

So then I thought why not going back just one generation? I guess it's not a big difference in terms of performance. I saw the iPhone XS as the perfect sized phone, which also featured the OLED display that would save great battery, and had a "premium" look. I want this phone to last as much as possible so, do you guys see it as a good investment? Forgot to mention that I could find it at a discounted 850€.

My two main points are getting better battery life (dark mode + OLED pannel) and better performance than my previous phone, given that it's not far from the 11th generation of iPhones.

Thanks beforehand! ?

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
You’d be better off getting the 11 or 11+. Battery life on the new iPhones is mind blowing. There’s no 3D Touch so it that is super important to you then the Xs would be a good choice for you.

Reactions: JCCL

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
I use an Xs max, my GF has an 11 pro. Other than dimensions, the few better camera features they are practically the same phone.

The 11 pro has a slightly higher capacity battery than my max (3179 vs 3190) further enhanced by the a13 chip which has better battery management but from our usage patterns the difference is not significant, although I’m sure the standard Xs battery would perform slightly below either.

Tbh in day to day usage it would be difficult to differentiate. They look identical, they perform pretty much identical. Like mentioned the pro will have the better camera if photography is important. The Xs is still has a plenty competent camera but has lesser feature set and lacks the newer telephoto lens

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
If you never need to take pictures indoors in dim lighting than the XS is good enough.

Normally, I’d say that the previous generation is okay. But the new 11 cameras are so freakin’ good I’m telling everyone to buy the 11 and ignore the XS or wait until you have the money. It’s that good.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Better off with 11. Xs has terrible battery life.

I’d disagree. I never had an issue with the battery life on the XS. There were various iOS releases that did affect the battery, but overall, that seem to be rectified later on.

Damo88

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2015
Better off with 11. Xs has terrible battery life.
Bit of a dramatic statement, don't you think? OK, the latest models have better battery life but the Xs has a perfectly capable battery for the majority of users. You have to weigh up if it's worth the extra money.

Reactions: gimmmick

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
I value the OLED screen more than the camera improvements on the 11, so if you can get a good deal on the XS that would be my choice in your situation. Upgrading from a XS Max to an 11 Pro Max, performance is pretty much the same. If you intend to keep the phone for a long time, the 11 might get an extra year of iOS updates than the XS, but as of now there is hardly any perceptible performance difference

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Xs ONLY if you can get it for like $800 or better.

If you're paying $900 or more get the 11 Pro.

OMGitsDaYisus

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
Spain
I value the OLED screen more than the camera improvements on the 11, so if you can get a good deal on the XS that would be my choice in your situation. Upgrading from a XS Max to an 11 Pro Max, performance is pretty much the same. If you intend to keep the phone for a long time, the 11 might get an extra year of iOS updates than the XS, but as of now there is hardly any perceptible performance difference
Yeah, the thing is that the iPhone Xs is currently at 850€ and the iPhone 11 at 809€. I'm starting to think that it might be a good choice that wouldn't go off-budget. New LCDs look much better (taking into account I would be shifting three generations) in the newer iPhones. It might not be a huge deal.

However, I value OLED capabilities which are permanent and can grant me a better battery life than just more mAH in the battery, which will eventually go old.
[automerge]1576338156[/automerge]
Xs ONLY if you can get it for like $800 or better.

If you're paying $900 or more get the 11 Pro.
What if I tell you that the iPhone 11 is at 809€? I'm starting to get less exquisite with OLED panels and looking at LCD as a nice substitute, as they have been improved over time. The thing is I haven't had in my hands for much time the iPhone 11, maybe I'm biased to think the more expensive iPhones are best.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
You’d be better off getting the 11 or 11+. Battery life on the new iPhones is mind blowing. There’s no 3D Touch so it that is super important to you then the Xs would be a good choice for you.

I want 3D Touch so badly but oh well. Why not just wait for a sale on the 11 pro OP tho

OMGitsDaYisus

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
Spain
Hello there,

I'm currently the owner of an iPhone 6s Plus (32GB), which I bought in 2017's summer. I am looking forward to upgrading my phone. I was aiming at an iPhone 11, but the LCD display, as well as the thicker vessels and the 0,5x optical zoom camera (I prefer a 2x optical zoom), made me reconsider. I even considered the iPhone 11 Pro, but it's way too expensive for my budget (1,159€).

So then I thought why not going back just one generation? I guess it's not a big difference in terms of performance. I saw the iPhone XS as the perfect sized phone, which also featured the OLED display that would save great battery, and had a "premium" look. I want this phone to last as much as possible so, do you guys see it as a good investment? Forgot to mention that I could find it at a discounted 850€.

My two main points are getting better battery life (dark mode + OLED pannel) and better performance than my previous phone, given that it's not far from the 11th generation of iPhones.

Thanks beforehand! ?
I know that the main features of the iPhone 11 Pro are found in iPhone 11 except triple camera (no big deal) and an OLED screen (I can keep using LCD). The deal for me is battery life.
Is that battery life improvement compared to iPhone 11 worth 350€? Is iPhone’s 11 battery not that good?

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Hello there,

Thanks beforehand! ?
For sure the upgrade from a 6S to an XS would be great.
said that, if camera performance and battery life are important factors for you, an iPhone 11 would be a much better option
[automerge]1576447836[/automerge]
I know that the main features of the iPhone 11 Pro are found in iPhone 11 except triple camera (no big deal) and an OLED screen (I can keep using LCD). The deal for me is battery life.
Is that battery life improvement compared to iPhone 11 worth 350€? Is iPhone’s 11 battery not that good?
Battery life on the 11 is on the same level (or even slightly better) than on 11 pro.

Last edited:

OMGitsDaYisus

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
Spain
said that, if camera performance and battery life are important factors for you, an iPhone 11 would be a much better option

Battery life on the 11 is on the same level (or even slightly better) than on 11 pro.
Would you say so if I use dark mode 24/7 and dark wallpapers?

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Would you say so if I use dark mode 24/7 and dark wallpapers?
Not necessarily.
I have both, with dark mode in “automatic” setting, and battery life is quite similar.
Sometimes 11 is even better than 11 Pro.

0C30BACF-FA02-498F-B8E9-250028029EF4.jpeg

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
Hello there,

Thanks beforehand! ?

I would say go with the 11 but if you really want an OLED screen / smaller bezels and the 2x optical zoom (i also like that more than the 0.5x) you are better off with the Xs. But you need to make a trade-off when it comes to battery life, as the 11 is heavily improved there.

OMGitsDaYisus

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2016
Spain
Not necessarily.
I have both, with dark mode in “automatic” setting, and battery life is quite similar.
Sometimes 11 is even better than 11 Pro.

View attachment 883240
Whats the time span when you are using dark mode?
[automerge]1576575611[/automerge]
I would say go with the 11 but if you really want an OLED screen / smaller bezels and the 2x optical zoom (i also like that more than the 0.5x) you are better off with the Xs. But you need to make a trade-off when it comes to battery life, as the 11 is heavily improved there.
Yeah, I’ve also seen in comparisons that neither iPhone XS or XS Max have like “great” battery life. If I were to buy it, it should be a huge deal. However, 850€ may sound ok, but you have other much better alternatives regarding battery life.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Whats the time span when you are using dark mode?

Sunset - sunrise.
[automerge]1576576898[/automerge]
Yeah, I’ve also seen in comparisons that neither iPhone XS or XS Max have like “great” battery life. If I were to buy it, it should be a huge deal. However, 850€ may sound ok, but you have other much better alternatives regarding battery life.

I don’t know what you read, but XS Max has great battery life.
XS has good battery life.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

Actually it’s 11 pro max > 11 pro > 11 in terms of battery life

Reactions: Wide opeN

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Hello there,

Thanks beforehand! ?
I currently use a 6 Plus and purchased the XS Max as an upgrade. I gave the XS Max to my mother who tells me the battery life on the XS Max drains quickly. I would try and save a little more and get yourself an 11. I read nothing but great battery life on that phone among other things.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I currently use a 6 Plus and purchased the XS Max as an upgrade. I gave the XS Max to my mother who tells me the battery life on the XS Max drains quickly. I would try and save a little more and get yourself an 11. I read nothing but great battery life on that phone among other things.

It depends on what she’s using on it though. If she’s playing games all day any phone will die pretty quickly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.