Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I was a heavy coffee drinker for about 10 years - every single day.

I was able to quit, and was off for about a month. But recently have been drinking coffee on some days.

When I went off I noticed I was much, much, much calmer overall. Night and day difference. Slept better too.

But sure enough on days I drink it's back to being anxious about stuff. It's awful relative to how calm I am otherwise, and I can't believe I spend so many years feeling so anxious and wired without even knowing it was the coffee affecting me.

Some may ask, why do I drink it? I like the energy, I like the initial feeling. I just don't like the anxiety part.

So if there is a way to drink it, maybe slowly, maybe with creme, or idk just some way, please share.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains

I was able to quit, and was off for about a month. But recently have been drinking coffee on some days.

When I went off I noticed I was much, much, much calmer overall. Night and day difference. Slept better too.

But sure enough on days I drink it's back to being anxious about stuff. It's awful relative to how calm I am otherwise, and I can't believe I spend so many years feeling so anxious and wired without even knowing it was the coffee affecting me.

Some may ask, why do I drink it? I like the energy, I like the initial feeling. I just don't like the anxiety part.

So if there is a way to drink it, maybe slowly, maybe with creme, or idk just some way, please share.

Sorry no.
I am a very heavy caffeine consumer (coffee, tea, NOS) and do not find it causes anxiety nor keeps me awake.
I do find I can think clearer and faster when consuming caffeine.

But that’s. Me ;)

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Coffee makes me anxious sometimes too. When I get anxious I just suspend someone on my way back from the office coffee bar. It doesn’t matter who. Whoever looks up from their desk and makes contact with me boom they’re on the beach for a few unpaid days vacation.

I reward everyone by privately declaring Fridays as no stress days so I only drink hot chocolate but no one knows that. I like hot chocolate so I have like three of four cups. It’s cute how the employees scurry around like white mice bumping into things and running down different hallways whenever I need another cup or an extra marshmallow.

Adequately handling you anxiety is an integral part of good health. Find what works for you.

journeyy

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
Try L-Theanine capsules with your coffee! Start with 100mg in combination with a regular coffee. Works for many people

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Frankly, given that even that the stress of completing sales and other financial transactions on Wall Street is something that you seem to thrive on, I am at something of a loss to understand how a few cups of coffee can cause "anxiety".

However, I'd just reduce my intake of coffee over the course of a day, rather than eliminating it entirely.

You know, choose not to have coffee after lunch time, or some such thing.

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Well if it doesn’t work for you try reducing it or go decaf if you want the taste without the kick.

I don’t feel many ill effects from coffee myself and I consume a lot.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Well if it doesn’t work for you try reducing it or go decaf if you want the taste without the kick.

I don’t feel many ill effects from coffee myself and I consume a lot.

I want the kick and only the kick. Not the insomnia and anxiety lol.

Oh well I suppose there may not be answer to this but no harm in asking anyway

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

There have been a few answers already. Drugs don’t work exactly the same for everyone which is not that surprising.

The insomnia and anxiety might also have additional factors that your family doctor might be able to advise on.

Reactions: 1146331

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

What you want is not possible. You can't have the kick of caffeine without it causing anxiety (if indeed caffeine does both of those to you). It is the nature of a stimulant. It's what stimulants do.

I recommend examining your lifestyle to see if there is something else that is causing a lack of energy or anxiety. But it could simply be that is how your body reacts to caffeine.

I'm a heavy coffee drinker (black/no sugar)... have been for over 40 years. I've never experienced anxiety that was caused by caffeine. I often drink a mug-full of espresso (but since I'm Italian, i might be genetically inclined to be immune to the effects) :D. Anxiety because of issues in life, yes... caused by coffee? no. But that's me.

I hope that you can find a solution.

Reactions: D.T.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Try one cup in the morning for your kick; and reduce or cut back.

For myself, there are days when I would not have a second cup, but that first mug is nectar. A second cup is lovely, but, these days, I rarely have a third unless I am meeting someone socially or meeting someone for work reasons.

Reactions: LizKat

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have anxiety if a cup of coffee is not near me.

Try decaf.
[doublepost=1566477518][/doublepost]

Use cocaine then /s
Seriously, what you're asking is a paradox.

Decaff (for some reason, that annoying spellcheck keeps insisting that I want to write "decay" instead of decaff) is not real coffee, @yaxomoxay; the whole point of coffee is that awesome caffeine - and inhaling the sublime aroma, and the splendid and irreplaceable taste of that first sip in the morning. Nothing compares to the pleasure of the first cup of coffee of the day.

But, agree that what the OP seeks out is something of a paradox.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Decaff (for some reason, that annoying spellcheck keeps insisting that I want to write "decay" instead of decaff) is not real coffee, @yaxomoxay; the whole point of coffee is that awesome caffeine - and inhaling the sublime aroma, and the splendid and irreplaceable taste of that first sip in the morning. Nothing compares to the pleasure of the first cup of coffee of the day.

But, agree that what the OP seeks out is something of a paradox.

Oh I understand, I am not a big fan of decaf myself, but it's a better solution to no coffee at all in my opinion. I admit owning some decaf just in case I want a large cup of coffee at 11PM right before going to bed, although this happens probably once in a blue moon.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Hate to bring up an old thread but I had a Red Bull the other day.

Felt GREAT.

So I had one again the following day and I've been so anxious ever since.

I love the caffeine high I just hate the terrible anxiety.

If anyone has a way...

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
The longer you brew the coffee, the more caffeine you get in it.
So, a centrifugal espresso machine which has water at 95°C and where the water is forced through the grounds for no more than 30 seconds, should have a lot less caffeine in it than a Kona machine where the water is kept warm on the grounds.
There is, as usual disagreement on this but if you read around there are sources that claim you get almost no caffeine from espresso coffee.

I drink a lot of espresso but it I have it made with a French press, or even instant, I really get a lot more agitated and really notice the difference. And Kona will make me jump.

Instant coffee also has a terrible effect on my stomach for some reason too but I don't know why. If I have more than about 2 cups I get really strong stomach cramps. You certainly can get a lot of caffeine from instant although it'll depend on the brand.

Some beans also have more caffeine than others too but it's impossible to generalize because it's not just the variety but also, the roast.
Howeve generally, the Arabica beans should have less than the Robusta because the caffeine is a defence mechanism and the Arabica beans growing at a much higher altitude, don't need it so much.

Reactions: gxxr

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia

Felt GREAT.

If anyone has a way...

I think it is just wrong to tie everything with just a caffeine. So many variables.

How was your protein/carbs intake on that day?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Felt GREAT.

If anyone has a way...

Given the topics of the threads you start on these threads, - and the various dramas, personal and personal (I was about to write "professional" after "personal", but I think a reiteration of "personal" suffices in these particular circumstances) played out on these threads - do you really think whatever anxiety you claim to suffer from is actually caused by caffeine?

Last edited:

JagdTiger

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2017

It’s the caffein.
[automerge]1575301809[/automerge]
Given the topics of the threads you start on these threads, - and the various dramas, personal and personal (I was about to write "professional" after "personal", but I think a reiteration of "personal" suffices in these particular circumstances) played out on these threads - do you really think whatever anxiety you claim to suffer from is actually caused by caffeine?
It can do that, it’s drank in the mornings as a wake up soulution and may cause overtime anxiety.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.