Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sarpler

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2019
I can't seem to delete these or rename them or even move them to the bottom of the list. They ALWAYS occupy the first two slots in the favorites list, meaning every time I launch Maps I always have to keep swiping over to the right to get to the favorites I actually use. This is especially frustrating because the favorites list is only a single row one entry tall.

Is there any way to change this, or is it yet another Apple "we decide what's best for you" deal?

sarpler

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2019
bump. How do kids/teenagers deal with this? Do they just have a 'work' entry that they can never get rid of?

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2019
Teenagers don’t deal with much very well these days. I’m sure they need counseling and probably forces them to make bomb threats. Damn you apple !!!

Maybe try google maps or Waze?? Sorry I’m not much help as having a home and job I find those entries useful.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Removal is easy, In maps tap See All (this is just below the microphone icon in the search bar) which brings up your list and then tap the "i" which is circled on the right, remove favorite in red is at the bottom of the screen. Repeat to remove others on the list.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Removal is easy, In maps tap See All (this is just below the microphone icon in the search bar) which brings up your list and then tap the "i" which is circled on the right, remove favorite in red is at the bottom of the screen. Repeat to remove others on the list.
I don't think the built-in Home and Work ones can be removed.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Worked for me, I just removed them both in Maps.. you can then add them back in the contacts section.
There isn't even a blue 'i' in a circle for Home and Work entries to use. There's the Edit option that offers the ability to remove them, but trying to remove them doesn't result in them being removed. Not sure if it's because those entries are not set to anything or something else in iOS 13 Maps.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
There isn't even a blue 'i' in a circle for Home and Work entries to use. There's the Edit option that offers the ability to remove them, but trying to remove them doesn't result in them being removed. Not sure if it's because those entries are not set to anything or something else.
That's interesting, maybe because I have mine set in my own contact information? I have the "i" in both locations and with SIRI she can also recommend I put them back in if I delete them. They show up in the suggestions section. And if I go that route they both show "i" as well.

sarpler

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2019
OK, so after a lot of screwing around I figured out what's going on here and how to deal with it. These instructions are for iOS 13.2.3.

Prerequisites:

1) You have to be willing to make a contact card for yourself in your own contacts list. Yes this is painfully stupid but there doesn't appear to be a way around it.

2) You have to have location services on and have internet access when you try this (it won't work in airplane mode or a basement with no signal).

3) You need to pick a numbered street address that Apple/Maps can find in their own database.

The procedure is as follows:

1) When you open Maps, tap on the home/work icons. Maps will prompt you to either set up a new contact card for yourself or link to an existing one, pick the 'create new' option.

2) In "your" contact card, you can skip the name and other fields, but you have to create a new 'home' street address field. Within that field, you MUST TYPE OUT a full street address and it has to be something Apple approves of because the phone has to phone-home this info to Apple HQ. You can't picky a dummy address. You can't pick a valid address that Apple doesn't like. You can't just open the Maps app and place a marker next to your pulsing blue dot and set it as 'home'. You MUST type in the whole complete Apple-approved address into the contact card with the keyboard: no other method works. If you try to do this offline or with a bad address or a map marker, it won't "take" and Maps will kick you out and act like you never even tried.

3) After you've filled that out, create another field and set this one as 'work'. Enter the exact same address info as what's in the 'home' field.

4) After you have both the 'home' and 'work' fields filled with Apple-approved address info, then and only then will the Maps app register them as legit and give you the blue "i" icon. If you filled out both 'home' and 'work' with the same address, Maps will glitch out and the icons will rapidly blink in and out of existence and shuffle around a few times before the 'work' entry disappears and only 'home' remains.

5) Now you can tap the "i" and then tap "remove favorite" at the bottom. However even after you've done this it's not fully gone it just gets removed from the quick bar in the main drawer. If you tap the "see all" link in the drawer, 'home' will always show up at the bottom of the list as a "siri suggestion".

6) Having done all this, you can't delete the dummy contact card you created for yourself. Doing so will reset Maps and make both the 'home' and 'work' icons come back and you'll have to start all over.

This whole process is dumber than hell but it appears to be the workaround. As usual, Apple expects you to set up your life exactly the way the hipsters in California do and if you try to deviate from that narrow path you're left jumping through a hundred hoops.

Reactions: maxjohnson2

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
Seem like extra work and more like something Google wants you to do. For now I just create another favorites called Home and Work, in addition to the default ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.