Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
I would like to use the earphones on Android too.
Is there a gender that converts it to 3.5?

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
Gender?? You mean adapter? Wired Apple headphones were just like any other: they had a 3.5mm plug. When Apple did away with the headphone jack on certain iOS devices they issued a Lightning to 3.5mm adapter so people could still use their old wired headphones. That would do you no good with Android as they use a mini USB instead of the the Lightning interface that Apple uses. If your Android phone has a standard headphone jack you should be able to plug in and start listening.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
all good
i have an iPhone7 and have issues using various wired headphones. It seems to be tied in with SIRI & voice activation. this could be a bug with ios12. I have not tried it with ios13. Worthy to note I have a iPhone7 not 7+.

be careful.

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
The newer Android phones that don't have headphone jacks uses USB-C connection. You have to buy a USB-C to 3.5mm headphone adaptor.

However, you also have to make sure to buy a powered adaptor, meaning the adaptor have it's own DAC (Digital to Audio converter) built inside. Otherwise, if you only buy a passive adaptor without a DAC, you will not get sound from your Android phone to your headphone.

One exception is that I recall some recent Moto phones do have a DAC inside the phone, despite no headphone jack, so you can use a passive adaptor, but I'm not sure if this is true for all models or true anymore.

Last edited:

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
My Android does have 3.5mm.
I need to convert the 8lightinng end of my Apple earphone into 3.5 if there is such an adaptor.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
There are so many cheap 3.5mm earbuds out there that I would just buy one instead of trying to convert a lightning earbud into 3.5mm jack (which i don’t thing is possible).

Buy a good 3.5mm jack earbud, and then buy a 3.5mm jack to lightning adapter so you can use it on the iPhone 7 (or use one with your iPhone 7 if it’s included).

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
I would like to use the earphones on Android too.
Is there a gender that converts it to 3.5?
I did a scan of Amazon's site and while I found a plethora of adapters for using 3.5mm cabled earphones with phone that has a Lightning connector, I found none that adapted Lightning cabled earphones for use with a phone that has either a USB-C or 3.5mm connector.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Just get the Apple EarPods from 6s or older, they have the 3.5mm jack.

Why do you have apple earpods with lightning but use an android?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.