Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
But IS supported for the iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3?

I was wondering if there was a legit reason, or if it's another case of Siri being incompatible with the iPhone 4 while it was on the 4S.

This may have been covered already, please forgive me if it has been :)

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
The only technical reason I can think of is that maybe the secure enclave chip on the 5s isn't compatible with the requirements of Apple Pay?

revs

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
UK
Yup - the reason i've heard is that it hasn't got the ability to generate the random tokens used for payment.

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
Apple Pay is only supported on the new iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3 for in app purchases.

Only the iPhone 6/6+ supports Apple Pay at brick & mortar retail stores - the new iPads do not and they cannot because they are not NFC equipped.

The iPhone 5 series phones lack the secure element that is needed for Apple Pay transactions. At least that is what Apple is saying at this point.

Supposedly, if paired with the Apple Watch (when it launches) it is supposed to enable iPhone 5 series phones to use Apple Pay.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Is there any special reason why in-app Apple Pay isn't supported for the 5s?

The only technical reason I can think of is that maybe the secure enclave chip on the 5s isn't compatible with the requirements of Apple Pay?

This, except Secure Element.

Secure Enclave is the isolated partition within A7 and A8 where they store TouchID data.

Secure Element is the proprietary hardware that stores device acct number for ApplePay.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
That's not the reason - iPad Air 2 doesn't have NFC but still can do In-App Apple Pay.

Only for in-app purchases. You can't tap a terminal at a B&M merchant with the Air2. And the reason is...because it doesn't have an NFC chip.

Edit - looks like TWD98j already got that.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
The 5s has Touch ID.

----------

This thread is about the Apple Pay feature within supported apps, not Apple Pay at stores using NFC..

Lol..completely forgot the 5S had touch id. I was thinking about this last night with my iPad Air, wondering why it didn't support Apple Pay within apps and figured it was because it didn't have touch ID. getting confused in my old age..

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
But IS supported for the iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3?

I was wondering if there was a legit reason, or if it's another case of Siri being incompatible with the iPhone 4 while it was on the 4S.

This may have been covered already, please forgive me if it has been :)

Technically Reason: iPhone 5S Does not have the hardware to support the Apple Pay. iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3 Is 1 year newer so they have a time to include Apple Pay.

Some People Reason: To make people buy iPhone 6 and above so they look a lot newer while leaving the 5S up to 2G to look like ancient.

The Real Specific Reason: Apple Pay has not Invented by the time when iPhone 5S came out or the Apple has not invented the idea yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.