Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
The wrapping is just their own way of storing the bands, it’s not meant to be the way it’s originally packaged. I’ve bought at least 3 leather loops from them (all packaged differently) and mine had all been identical to the ones I bought from Apple Store in terms of looks and quality.

twanj

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
Bright Blue leather loop $51
Purchased 10/10, received 10/21

5A742A0C-6C61-49FA-BC2B-E20C6C288822.jpeg
1348218A-DA71-4D93-8959-AFC1F720F6E2.jpeg
F879A9FE-F9F4-424B-A6AE-D60AD3783E6C.jpeg
EF808E03-4A0F-4500-9D5C-03BBF81D8C86.jpeg
905E2910-4533-4803-81AC-956A00EB1B8D.jpeg
998F9D70-E108-449E-A6A6-1C6BF6CB5962.jpeg
5B605F3A-1BD2-4EE7-A362-38A9F0C68B30.jpeg

chillip

macrumors 68030
Mar 16, 2013
I received a storm grey leather loop and sadly it has marks on it. It looks like biro pen in a perfectly straight line. See photos.

Attachments

• CA196FAD-46F3-4FE6-AC64-FF16A6950795.jpeg
    CA196FAD-46F3-4FE6-AC64-FF16A6950795.jpeg
    326.7 KB · Views: 367
  • 7CA90632-A1A6-494C-9802-E8BA7B94AFB9.jpeg
    7CA90632-A1A6-494C-9802-E8BA7B94AFB9.jpeg
    361 KB · Views: 353
Reactions: twanj

bp328i

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2019
Has anyone thought about polishing the Stainless link band so it matches the S5 SS exactly? My S5 SS is being delivered tomorrow and I'm already bidding on the band from the chargerstore.

I'm thinking about polishing it once I get one.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Has anyone thought about polishing the Stainless link band so it matches the S5 SS exactly? My S5 SS is being delivered tomorrow and I'm already bidding on the band from the chargerstore.

I'm thinking about polishing it once I get one.
I could've sworn someone did this back in 2015 or so but having trouble finding pictures.

I've thought about it too, at the very least, I'm not sure why the silver link bracelet has brushed sides while the SBSS has polished... polished matches the case where band/case meet, looks so much better IMO. Even the Milanese loop has polished sides on the lug.

bp328i

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2019
I could've sworn someone did this back in 2015 or so but having trouble finding pictures.

I've thought about it too, at the very least, I'm not sure why the silver link bracelet has brushed sides while the SBSS has polished... polished matches the case where band/case meet, looks so much better IMO. Even the Milanese loop has polished sides on the lug.

Yeah, not sure why they wouldn't polish the sides and lug.

I'm definitely going to polish one if I end up buying one from the eBay seller. Before I found out about this seller I was looking at them on Apple's website and couldn't see myself spending that much just to polish it (and hope I didn't mess up).

I'm sure it will show micro scratches pretty bad and would have to be kept up on to stay looking good.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Anyone got a link for the SB Link band? Wanted one for ages but couldn't justify the £450 they ask for!

Dr. Zenon

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2017
Is Chargerstore too good to be true..???

Perhaps

Today I was looking at his auctions and what he has posted. This item he has for sale looked extremely interesting to me.

Original Apple Lightning to 30-Pin Adapter A1468 support charge/Audio /data Sync

s-l1600.jpg

The images presented include EVT1 build and Config 02 markings. These are CLEARLY prototype devices. EVT1 is the Engineering Validation Test build or the first full early production run. EVT builds are close to final, but may not be. There are typically additional runs for hardware builds if optimizations or errors are found - EVT2, EVT3, etc before finalizing on the locked hardware design. Production goes to the next phase of Design Validation Test (DVT), next comes PVT (Production Validation Test) where everything is final, and assembly lines are in full swing producing units that will go to the press, product shots, keynotes, etc..

EVT, DVT, and sometimes even PVT builds are collected and destroyed (recycled) as to prevent resale in the marketplace. Serial numbers are not in AppleCare's databases.

I'm now convinced that these bands are from early production test runs and were meant to be destroyed. The factory could be trying different coating techniques, machining optimizations, tolerance checks, or tests on the production equipment. Could be a million reasons why..

With that said, yesterday my SB Link arrived..and I'm convinced it's from an factory Apple contracts with.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Is Chargerstore too good to be true..???

Perhaps

Today I was looking at his auctions and what he has posted. This item he has for sale looked extremely interesting to me.

Original Apple Lightning to 30-Pin Adapter A1468 support charge/Audio /data Sync

View attachment 873671

The images presented include EVT1 build and Config 02 markings. These are CLEARLY prototype devices. EVT1 is the Engineering Validation Test build or the first full early production run. EVT builds are close to final, but may not be. There are typically additional runs for hardware builds if optimizations or errors are found - EVT2, EVT3, etc before finalizing on the locked hardware design. Production goes to the next phase of Design Validation Test (DVT), next comes PVT (Production Validation Test) where everything is final, and assembly lines are in full swing producing units that will go to the press, product shots, keynotes, etc..

EVT, DVT, and sometimes even PVT builds are collected and destroyed (recycled) as to prevent resale in the marketplace. Serial numbers are not in AppleCare's databases.

I'm now convinced that these bands are from early production test runs and were meant to be destroyed. The factory could be trying different coating techniques, machining optimizations, tolerance checks, or tests on the production equipment. Could be a million reasons why..

With that said, yesterday my SB Link arrived..and I'm convinced it's from an factory Apple contracts with.
I have thought along these lines as well, seeing as he has Classic Buckles with SB/DLC and gold PVD hardware, which were never sold to the public.

(And owning prototype/test mule stuff can be fun, most of the time.)

Reactions: CarlJ and twanj

Dr. Zenon

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2017
Many times the factory or Apple may contract with a company to destroy prototypes. It is very likely they were handed off for disposal, but were never recycled. Items like this are easier to slip by as there is no serial numbers. If this was a laptop or phone, there are serial numbers everywhere and easy to track. Apple will physically destroy prototype boards (hammer, screwdriver) before handing them off to their recycling partner after the product is released. This helps prevent recycling partner workers from “accidentally” making goods to be recycled fall off the truck.

This could explain quantities this eBay seller has available.

Last edited:

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
Another thing is that he has a ton of inventory and never sells for a ridiculous price unless at occasional auction. If he was getting these items for nearly free... he would sell them cheaper than he does and always sell out of stock. So he is buying them from someone and is paying the middle man a decent amount.

wc17

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Bright Blue leather loop $51
Purchased 10/10, received 10/21

I think I was looking at the same auction from that store...but looked into the sizing (have never tried one in the apple store) and wasnt sure if Large would work.

What size do you wear on the sport band? I wear the M/L and about 4 holes in.

bp328i

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2019
I'm very new to the AW, (waiting on my 11 Pro Max to be delivered to active my first AW new) maybe someone can answer a question about a band.

I'm trying to figure out is there a difference between this one from Apple and this one listed on eBay from Chargerstore? I see the one on eBay is priced higher than buying it directly from Apple and did know if there was something special about it (or just listing higher than retail hoping someone buys).

Apple

ebay

Last edited:

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

fstevens

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2008
I recently (in the past month or so) bought a SBLB from Chargerstore. It arrived promptly and was in the described condition if not even better. I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

PSA - do read the instructions on removing/installing the link bracelet. See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204818

Thanks for the PSA! I wish I had seen that before I got my SBLB - I had a heck of a time getting it on my watch. At least I saw it before I wanted to remove it.

i got a SBLB from Chargerstore recently, too. It sure looks authentic. I didn‘t look at it with a magnifying lens or anything like that but I haven’t seen any scratches or other wear. I’m very happy with it.

Reactions: deeddawg

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
I'm very new to the AW, (waiting on my 11 Pro Max to be delivered to active my first AW new) maybe someone can answer a question about a band.

I'm trying to figure out is there a difference between this one from Apple and this one listed on eBay from Chargerstore? I see the one on eBay is priced higher than buying it directly from Apple and did know if there was something special about it (or just listing higher than retail hoping someone buys).

Apple

ebay
The only reason I can think of is that maybe he is selling an older version. I read on some forum (might have been MR) that the current black leather is lighter than previous storm grey whereas the older ones are more black. I’ve really no idea though. I’m still waiting for my delivery of a bright blue leather loop from same seller - it doesn’t look bright to me, just lighter than midnight blue.

Reactions: bp328i

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
The only reason I can think of is that maybe he is selling an older version. I read on some forum (might have been MR) that the current black leather is lighter than previous storm grey whereas the older ones are more black. I’ve really no idea though. I’m still waiting for my delivery of a bright blue leather loop from same seller - it doesn’t look bright to me, just lighter than midnight blue.

This is right. The strap on ebay is the older, darker version (marked 42 mm). The new version currently being sold is lighter and marked 44 mm.

Reactions: CarlJ and bp328i

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
The band I was interested in is the Product Red, but the price is the same as a new one ($49). It is however the first generation which is a brighter red.

bp328i

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2019

This is right. The strap on ebay is the older, darker version (marked 42 mm). The new version currently being sold is lighter and marked 44 mm.
Gotcha, thanks!

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
Hi guys,

Just today I took delivery of a “New” Space Black Stainless Steel Link Bracelet. Ordered on Oct 23rd for £149 and delivered today (Nov 1st). Advertised as new but with slight marks.

It’s fantastic!! I can’t even see the slight marks on it. Now I know someone with an actual genuine link bracelet from Apple (£449) so when I see him I’m gonna make comparisons. But so far, I believe it to be genuine.

Arrived only in a brown padded envelope with the bracelet in a see-through bag. But I’m very happy.

I had to take out about 5 or 6 links due to my very small wrists. I use an Watch Series 3 Edition, Grey Ceramic, and it matches it really nicely.

Reactions: bp328i and deeddawg

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Hi guys,

Just today I took delivery of a “New” Space Black Stainless Steel Link Bracelet. Ordered on Oct 23rd for £149 and delivered today (Nov 1st). Advertised as new but with slight marks.

It’s fantastic!! I can’t even see the slight marks on it. Now I know someone with an actual genuine link bracelet from Apple (£449) so when I see him I’m gonna make comparisons. But so far, I believe it to be genuine.

Arrived only in a brown padded envelope with the bracelet in a see-through bag. But I’m very happy.

I had to take out about 5 or 6 links due to my very small wrists. I use an Watch Series 3 Edition, Grey Ceramic, and it matches it really nicely.
Post pics! Sounds like a great combo.

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
Apple Watch Series 3 Edition, Grey Ceramic, with Space Black Stainless Steel Link Bracelet. 42mm.
Link bracelet bought from eBay seller, Genuine New, for £149.
5B9285D4-5233-4146-B954-F8B16CD26CFD.jpeg

C61B2246-5AD9-4C77-872D-36E26D4602F0.jpeg

AB89401F-3E65-42B6-AD0B-DDAB056E4E9F.jpeg

63A4F1F4-BDB0-45DD-AA6A-55FD2D7081EF.jpeg

443711AE-ABF1-4A4B-B7F1-B82504CC8550.jpeg

[automerge]1572783055[/automerge]
Took those pics with my iPhone 11 Pro Max. Came out pretty good actually.

Reactions: bp328i
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.