Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
man, i heard apple pays about $100 for the price of a nano. . .then sells it to us for $200 !!!! there is absolutly nothing wrong with that. its suply and demand!!! when you bought an iSite ther was no demand for it, but when you sold it as an iSight there was lots of demand! im sure the person selling it to you as an iSite was happy with what they got, otherwise they wouldnt have sold it on e-bay! there are actually people who (try to) make a living by buying and selling items on e-bay, by low sell high, right? ive noticed from bidding on numerous items that the price of the item will change depending on the time of day that it ends. if it ends at 2 in the morning on a tuesday then the price will likely be a lot less than if it ends at 5 in the evening on a saturday. its just the difference b/w a smart e-bay buyer and a not so smart one.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Thats how the business world works. You buy for one price and sell it for a higher price and make profit. I wouldn't have any moral issue with it.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....Don't sweat it - happens all the time. I got a CD I was after for about $15 less than it might have sold for because the guy didn't spell the artists name right....Oh yeah!

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
chaos86 said:
Am I a bad person?
Not sure I can answer that based purely on this example, but if that were the case, I'd say no.

Who's to say he didn't get it free because MacMall double-shipped or something, and is happy to have the $72? If he paid $150 for it, you'd think he'd not hand it off for such a low price...

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
chaos86 said:
sure... after he gives me his feedback

You aren't a bad person for capitalizing on his mis-spelled auction. I think it's going a little far to rub it in his face if you email him after and tell him.

Not going to hurt him by leaving him in ignorance. He had the product... it's his issue he mis-spelled it.

Yellowtooth

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2003
Los Angeles
Be like Solomon....split the difference

At the end of the day, you have to live with your own conscience, wherever it may lead you. If it were me, and I was worried about the ethics involved, I would sell it for $120, split the difference (about $50) and send $25 to the guy you bought it from. That way he gets an extra $25, you make $25 for your time and effort and good bargain hunting ability, and everybody wins.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2003
wPod said:
man, i heard apple pays about $100 for the price of a nano. . .then sells it to us for $200 !!!!

A little off topic, but while were here-- How much do you think apple spent in research and development for this product? I dont know how much of it accounts for that $100 left over, but I'm trying to make a point. Everyone whines about profit margins, but they forget that the company is already in the negative when they release a product because it cost money to develop. Look at the g4 cube. It wouldnt have been such a blunder to not sell many of them if apple had not put so much time and money in to R+D making it so small and quiet and cool. As it turned out, I don't think they ended up turning a profit from that particular product.

Cloud9

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2005
between flesh and thought
Morals are relative to YOU!

If You feel that your morals are in question then they are! They may not be for someone else though. It just means your sensitivities are higher. That is a good thing over all, but the sensitivites recede if ignored. Part of your mind said $weet, the other part wanted to help someone out. You helped yourself instead of another. And you know that.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
if he'd wanted to set a reserve, he could have done so. By not doing so, he implied that he was willing to take the market price for his item, as he listed it. And that's what he got.

If you don't list with pictures, with a good description, or with proper english, you get less for your items. If you take more time and put in more effort, you're able to sell for more. This is just a continuation of the same idea. Welcome to the free market.

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
My wife serches ebay for misspelled items all the time for the best deals. We got an animation cel that should have gone for around $100 for about $20 eventually we'll sell that and we'll spell everything right. :D Welcome to the world of Ebay.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
You just took advantage of a good opportunity. You are not responsible for other people ignorance. Sell it and enjoy the profits!!!

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
grapes911 said:
Hell yeah. Your genitalia is going to fall off.

Seriously, it just sounds like capitalism to me. Is a car dealer immoral for buying a car at x dollars and selling it for x+y dollars? I don't think so.

but what if y=- intger :p

in which case the dealer losse money

no its legal, and was a smart move on ur part, but not the nicest thing i'v ever seen :D

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Not at all. He sold it at a good price, you just happen to be getting a better price. I've bought things, then later sold them at a loss. It happens. I've also bought, and then sold internationally, and got way more than I'd paid. eBay works on supply and demand. Something is only worth what you pay for it. You paid a little (blame it on the sellers ignorance), and sold it for a little more (someone is willing to buy it, they will be happy, you will have their money).

The very fact that you feel a little guilty about it proves that you are a good person. :)

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
If you're feeling moral qualms, then yes you're perfectly right, you're doing something immoral.

sort it out in your own way.

He was happy with the selling price, but that doesn't mean you have to happy with the price you paid.

Like I said, sort it out in your own way.

Give £10 to a charity or to a homeless guy, or send the seller £10. Or give some of your time / effort to making the environment a nicer place for everyone - spend £10 on planting / sponsoring a tree in the local park.

That'd have a longer lasting effect than returning £10 to the seller.

The solution can only come from yourself, and it;ll be something that you feel is right inside you.

Having said all that, I'm off to search Ebay for an iSite now :)

xoxo T

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
Nothing immoral at all - thats capitalism baby!

Also, you can't be accountable for other peoples stupity or lack of spelling capability.

I girl I know bought an ibook last month.
Apple delivered it to her house, and the next day delivered another one.

She gave it back! Now thats immoral!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.